Gussets interfering with my coils. ...

BBG

So I just found the root of my problem with my coils rubbing up against the bolts on my steering box ,they are also rubbing on the coil spring bucket post that house the bump stop .The reason why it's doing that is because the gusset has pushed the coil over and caused a bow in the spring making it rub everywhere. ...... my question is can or should I grind down the part of the gusset that's making contact with the coil. Would it drastically ruin the integrity of the gusset? I'm tempted to go with coil overs, but that means no more upgrades for a long while. .... lol

the first step is admitting you have a problem. .... Hello everyone I'm hdawg and I'm a jeep-a-halic

Attachments

• 1388812512122.jpg
    1388812512122.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 163
It looks to me like the axle is shifted to the passenger side. This can be corrected with track bar adjustment.

As long as the spring is fully seated on the axle the gusset is fine. If it is preventing this then yes it should be clearanced.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Looks like you already have a trackbar bracket based upon your raised sway bar link location. Check your axle and see if it is shifted way more to one side than the other.

Just so you know it is common for the gussets to contact the lower coil. The bowing you see in your coil may be the length as well coupled with perhaps incorrect caster. Are you running adjustable arms? Check here for a DIY adjustment http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

I'm running EVO Mfg 4" plush ride coils and adjustable front LCAs. When I went from 3" to 4" coils I noticed some bowing and the rubbing was actually the sway bar contacting the frame near the top of the sway bar link. Give it a look if you see some shiny metal it will need to be filed or ground down. Hope this helps.

Edit: just looked at your photo the running you at feeling/ hearing is definitely the sway bar contacting the frame. See that hollow tube end sticking out of the frame where the upper sway bar link is? Check there and you'll see ground down metal where it's been rubbing. Bet there will also be scuffs on the inside of the sway bar.

Last edited:

Rooster jk

I was wondering same thing...just bought the EVO gussets and seems the passenger side coil is going to be in the way.....do I push the coil over or what?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I was wondering same thing...just bought the EVO gussets and seems the passenger side coil is going to be in the way.....do I push the coil over or what?

To do it right ,the wheels will be removed and the coil will either need to be compressed or removed then reinstalled after the gussets are burnt on.

BBG

Everything else is lined up the control arms track bar everything... I thought it was that too. I also thought it was too much negative castor , but no

the first step is admitting you have a problem. .... Hello everyone I'm hdawg and I'm a jeep-a-halic

BBG

Been through all of that. Grinned those down tooi went through it all I looked at lifts with coils and they all stick out about about a inch mine with the gussets push them back in half a inch. ....if I lengthen the control arms anymore is going to put too much bend in my driveshaft .

10frank9

Web Wheeler
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388815734.685194.jpg this is what looks like it's making contact.

If you've addressed this you may want to check your axle position. The coil base doesn't look like it's pushing over any more than mine does but your coils are no doubt at least 1" taller (Teraflex) and look quite a bit more bowed than mine.

Where exactly is it rubbing? Steering box bolts?

Been through all of that. Grinned those down tooi went through it all I looked at lifts with coils and they all stick out about about a inch mine with the gussets push them back in half a inch. ....if I lengthen the control arms anymore is going to put too much bend in my driveshaft .

BBG

Yeah I took it in to off road evolution they personally grind that part down spray painted it and everything there is no bare metal showing there trust me they set the alignment and castor drew told me there would be light rubbing but there is too much rubbing. The bolts for the steering box are smooth on one side and sometimes the spring gets stuck when I'm off roading.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If the bolts your talking about are the ones below,

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388816918.000288.jpg

Then your axle is off center. There is a lot of room between the bolts and the sway bar. And judging by the picture your axle is off center to the passenger side.

BBG

The bolts that are rubbing are on the inside of the coil spring bucket not those that you can clearly see those two hiding to the right

BBG

Those two

Attachments

• 1388818329700.jpg
    1388818329700.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 94

BBG

Ok from the top of the coil bucket to the out side edge of the tire measure 18 5/8 on both sides so its not off left to right just measured all the front control arms again top to bottom driver side reads upper 19 3/8 eye to eye lower 23 3/8 passenger side reads upper 19 3/8 lower reads 23 1/2 everyone said that side should read more so that it won't pull to one side. .. and the passenger side is not the problem

BBG

Only half an inch of space there

Attachments

• 1388819318503.jpg
    1388819318503.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 85

BBG

If what your telling me is true then I need to bring it back to off road evo because I paid for this exact problem to be fixed. ......I appreciate the info Thanks overlander.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok from the top of the coil bucket to the out side edge of the tire measure 18 5/8 on both sides so its not off left to right just measured all the front control arms again top to bottom driver side reads upper 19 3/8 eye to eye lower 23 3/8 passenger side reads upper 19 3/8 lower reads 23 1/2 everyone said that side should read more so that it won't pull to one side. .. and the passenger side is not the problem

There is a thread about this. Search cross caster. I haven't he same lift and my arms are set to the same lengths on both sides.

BBG

Yeah but 3/8 to 1/2 is not that much difference especially when it's the driver side that seems too far forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom