What type of locker to go with?

Finn Sizzle

Looking to upgrade my YJ axles and I have been back and forth on what lockers to get. Anyone have any recommendations/experience as to which is best/durable?

ARB air lockers
Detroit locker
Eaton E-locker
Ox locker

I appreciate any experience that you can share. Thanks folks

1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 MT
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 10th Anniversary
TK5337

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't think you'll ever be playing up in places like Big Bear or Mammoth when it's snowy/icey, a Detroit is a good solid locker to run and one that will be more affordable. If you do think you will need the benefits of selectable lockers, it's really hard to be an ARB. They are one of the most widely used locker around, strong and work well. Parts for them are easily found just about anywhere too.

TJ KID

How are the Detroits on the road.? Would you put a Detroit in the front and rear of a 30 and 8.8?

Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Finn Sizzle

Funny you say that because the goal is to use it more at Big Bear, Anza, Mammoth, etc...I'm really between the ARB air locker and the Eaton E-locker.

TK5337

dahreno

Banned
I think he is talking about the drive up there with ice on the road. Not the best conditions for a Detroit.That being said, how about a Detroit on the front with Warn selectable hubs ? I have been thinking about this for my own app.

Finn Sizzle

I think he is talking about the drive up there with ice on the road. Not the best conditions for a Detroit.That being said, how about a Detroit on the front with Warn selectable hubs ? I have been thinking about this for my own app.

I would not think you would want to lock the axles on just the snow/icy road. I'd just enable 4WD and save the lockers for the real fun...

TK5337

Finn Sizzle

BTW, thanks for the feedback so far.

Anyone else have input into which locker it should go with?

I've narrowed it to the ARB and Eaton E-locker, however if have yet to see any real feedback on the Eaton.

TK5337

Indefatigable

Do not get the Eaton for the 8.8. The design is such that it chews the lock pins very fast. Replacing the pins requires removing the side bearing and taking the whole thing apart. Had one and it lasted a year of moderate wheeling. The engage/disengage/engage every time you change forward/back direction wears it out fast.
The Dana editions of the Eaton seem to be better and more like the ARB for how it engages.

That was last Jeep, I learned my lesson. I now have ARB front and rear in the current Jeep. For me, it works well.

Finn Sizzle

Do not get the Eaton for the 8.8. The design is such that it chews the lock pins very fast. Replacing the pins requires removing the side bearing and taking the whole thing apart. Had one and it lasted a year of moderate wheeling. The engage/disengage/engage every time you change forward/back direction wears it out fast.
The Dana editions of the Eaton seem to be better and more like the ARB for how it engages.

That was last Jeep, I learned my lesson. I now have ARB front and rear in the current Jeep. For me, it works well.

Thanks for the insight. Withh all of the reviews, demos and feedback I have seen, ARB looks like the way to go. Thanks all!

TK5337

Armydog

General question on this topic.... I have a 2005 TJ Rubicon. The stock Dana 44s are air lockers ( obviously, but I did not know this before.....) is there an advantage to switching to ARB lockers over the stock diffs? Continuing to plan my domination of the earth....

1BAMFR

I run an Auburn locker in the rear and an Eaton up front. Both E-lockers. They work great...never have an issue.

Top Bottom