Coil over or 6 paks?

Flexer07

Soon I will be making an upgrade to my suspension. And would like some opinions or options/help. Right now I have the 3.5 rock krawler X factor on my 2 door rubicon with 37s. It gets high centered sometimes so I am either looking at going down to metal cloak 2.5 springs with 14" and 12" rear 6 paks. Or my other option is getting the evo bolt on coil overs. I will be doing the rock krawler 3 link in the mix of which ever I decide. But my question is will I get the same out of the 6 paks as I would the coil overs for less money? Im not worried about ride. I'm more into what's going to help me on the trails and rocks. As far as axle droop and flex. And not getting high centered ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388878599.603624.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If your getting high centered you need to pick a better line. More droop won't do anything if you belly is on the ground.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your getting high centered you need to pick a better line. More droop won't do anything if you belly is on the ground.

:cheesy: Okay, that literally got me laughing out loud.

Flexer07, in all seriousness, if you think about it, what Adam is saying is spot on. Looking at your Jeep, you're Jeep is a 2-door and it's already sitting sky high or, at least for my taste anyway. If you're still getting high centered, expensive gimmicky shocks strapped end on end may give you more droop but ain't gonna do you squat. Bolt on coil overs will at least allow your upper mount to sit higher than stock and allow for more stuff but even that won't prevent you from getting high centered. Save your money, pick better lines and try keeping your tires on the obstacle - NOT under your Jeep. If anything, bigger tires will help with your break over angles, not more droop. :yup:

Flexer07

I think I miss led this. I think I need to be lower because I'm getting top heavy at times. Sorry for the confusion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I miss led this. I think I need to be lower because I'm getting top heavy at times. Sorry for the confusion.

If you're feeling top heavy or and want to lower your center of gravity, expensive gimmicky shocks strapped end on end will not change anything. Sure, you can have more droop but you you'll still be limited on your stuff if for no other reason than the fact that your coils will need to have bump stop extensions that will prevent them from getting over compressed. By design, bolt on coil overs will allow you to have a higher mounting point and allow for a greater amount of stuff. This will allow you to have a lower stance, greater stuff and more droop and all with the benefits of a better ride. Sure, they are pricey but the other option you are looking at aren't exactly cheap and won't give you the benefits of true coil overs.

Flexer07

Alright thanks for the help. It does good now but I want more out of it and to be lower so I guess I will go that route. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388882153.432588.jpg

liljohn850

bolt on coil over kit the front end and rock out with traditional shocks and springs in the rear...I mean, yea the 6paks droop for days, but so do coilovers. I can't justify the price of the latter when a little but more and you have coilovers on all 4 corners. Bolt on coilovers up front are in my "near future".....after an axle/build axle :banghead:

2trackin

Alright thanks for the help. It does good now but I want more out of it and to be lower so I guess I will go that route. View attachment 62753

I just took almost the same pic.
Rock Krawler 3.5 max travel with Fox 2.0 shocks and Evo Plush ride coils. (they flex so much better than rk coils)
Oh and I vote for coilovers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1388939532902.jpg
    1388939532902.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 127

Flexer07

I just took almost the same pic.
Rock Krawler 3.5 max travel with Fox 2.0 shocks and Evo Plush ride coils. (they flex so much better than rk coils)
Oh and I vote for coilovers

Our jeep jeeps are very similar. Nice jeep!

2trackin

Our jeep jeeps are very similar. Nice jeep!

Thanks, yours as well. I almost went with rock lobster. I couldn't decide, and not all the colors were available yet on the 14s so I went with white.

Top Bottom