Lockers

dahreno

Banned
I have a d60 front and a 14 bolt rear . I need lockers . It is a street legal Jeep and I will be driving it to and from trails.The front axle has Warn lock out hubs. I have never had Detroits and have only heard of their legendary strength. I'm having a brain fart thinking if a Detroit would work for me in the front axle. If the Jeep is in 2wd on the road and the lock outs are "free ", I shouldn't even know if the Detroit is locking or not, right ?It should have no effect on locking up on me while driving on road. Then while 4 wheeling, I'll shift the transfere case into 4 wheel, lock the front hubs, and have the detroit when I need it .If this works for me, and it sounds like it will, I'll pick out a selectable locker for the rear . Please let me know if my thinking is screwed up, as I know you will !Thanks for your input.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Your thinking sounds correct to me.

However, the problem you will have is that the front will always be locked when you are in 4wd. A lot of times with tight obsticals it may be more beneficial to be in 4x but with the front axle open, which will not be an option for you. And when simply dropping from 4x to 2x at the t-case the fronts will still be locked, and you would have to jump out unlock them etc.

dahreno

Banned
I actually like that I have to unlock the hubs . when driving on the street everything in the front axle will not be spinning therefore not wearing out the internal parts while getting better gas mileage. Also when in 4wd, the front should only be locked when the detroit feels a difference in wheel speed between the front tires, right ? If the Detroit was always locked as stated above, it would be called a spool. Also it is beneficial to be able to unlock the front in tight spaces, that's why I'm still considering a selectable locker. By the way, I do have PSC hydro assist so maybe I can steer right through a tight place if the Detroit is locked, I really don't know that's why I am asking these questions here. I'm not sure if anyone has any experience with these issues here as most people have a JK of some sort and don't have any knowledge of this set up I speak of. It is kind of old school I guess. I was really hoping Eddy would chime in here and talk some sense into me and tell me his thoughts.

Last edited:

David1tontj

I have a Detroit rear and an ez locker front(works the same as the Detroit only on a smaller scale). I also have a 60 front with hubs.. When the Detroit gets power to it, it locks up.. Therefore, if I am on the trail and don't want it locked, such as for an easy section, I just kick it into 2 wheel drive.. You don't have to unlock the hubs.. Simply not having power applied to it unlocks it.

The only time I unlock my hubs is for the drive home so that I'm not turning my whole front driveline..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

David1tontj

I actually like that I have to unlock the hubs . when driving on the street everything in the front axle will not be spinning therefore not wearing out the internal parts while getting better gas mileage. Also when in 4wd, the front should only be locked when the detroit feels a difference in wheel speed between the front tires, right ? If the Detroit was always locked as stated above, it would be called a spool. Also it is beneficial to be able to unlock the front in tight spaces, that's why I'm still considering a selectable locker. By the way, I do have PSC hydro assist so maybe I can steer right through a tight place if the Detroit is locked, I really don't know that's why I am asking these questions here. I'm not sure if anyone has any experience with these issues here as most people have a JK of some sort and don't have any knowledge of this set up I speak of. It is kind of old school I guess. I was really hoping Eddy would chime in here and talk some sense into me and tell me his thoughts.

People told me front and rear lockers wouldn't turn at all, and to be honest, in the tight and slow stuff my rig does just fine and I feel like it actually turns quite sharp. It's the higher speeds that are scary with a locked front.. I always kick it into 2wheel drive even between trails so the front unlocks..

The part you said about only locking when the wheel speeds were different- that is a posi, not a locker.. A locker locks both axle shafts together when power is applied, if you let off the gas (mostly noticeable in 2 wheel drive) then it unlocks. Therefore when driving around corners on the street, I always speed up before the corner and coast around it so I am unlocked..

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

dahreno

Banned
Okay, I understand what you are saying, thanks. I did think the Detroit locks when it senses a difference in wheel speed, not just getting power to it. But, let me ask you, if the hubs are in the free state on the street, even if I give it gas around a corner, it can't lock both the tires right? Also I'll be in 2wd so the Detroit won't be getting any power to lock the axle shafts anyways .I understand you having not to speed up around corners because of the Detroit in the rear and having no control over if it gets power or not .

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
I was confused on how the detroit worked. For some reason I thought they were locked 100% of the time, so please disregard what I said in reference to that.... Too many couch beers last night ;)

Top Bottom