Whats needed to complete the rubicon trail

KernHydro

I have a list of trails I would like to do this year one being the infamous rubicon which I plan to do in mid august. Next month I will have the new bolt on coilovers from evo and 35s will this combo be enough for this trail on a 4 door? I dont want to be winching non stop to the point im holding up my group. Im also locked front and rear.

JandSJK

Eddie put together a check list and a minimum equipment list on the Rubicon thread under upcoming trips should be what you are looking for

alpa

Did the Rubicon last year in 4door JKU and 33" allterrain tires + 3.5" lift kit. No winching.

StrizzyChris

I have a list of trails I would like to do this year one being the infamous rubicon which I plan to do in mid august. Next month I will have the new bolt on coilovers from evo and 35s will this combo be enough for this trail on a 4 door? I dont want to be winching non stop to the point im holding up my group. Im also locked front and rear.

Do you have any more info on your build? What suspension system/mods are you running beyond the coilovers? I am sure you know this already(buuuut I will state it just in case) but the coilover system is not a complete lift and is to replace your shock and coils only. There are MANY more mods needed to the suspension to "make it sound" enough for the Rubicon and running 35's

KernHydro

My build sheet: Adj short arms, evo Bolt ons, drag flip, 1310s f&r, every skid plate, I could find 35" nittos, bead locks, sleeves and gussets, evo 1/4 pounder, warn 9500, rigid industries dully 2... I'm sure there is more that off the top off my head.

StrizzyChris

My build sheet: Adj short arms, evo Bolt ons, drag flip, 1310s f&r, every skid plate, I could find 35" nittos, bead locks, sleeves and gussets, evo 1/4 pounder, warn 9500, rigid industries dully 2... I'm sure there is more that off the top off my head.

ah yeah...your good :thumb:.......welllllll at least ur rig is :bleh:

KernHydro

Low blow :) I like to think I'm a decent wheeler although I get on these forums and sound pretty noobish. I've never done the rubicon only read about it and depending on who you listen to it can sound impossible. And I want to go out of there with as little problems as possible considering I'll be driving a brand new 50k+ jeep with only 5000 Miles on it.

StrizzyChris

Low blow :) I like to think I'm a decent wheeler although I get on these forums and sound pretty noobish.

I'm just bustin balls brother...But it sounds like your already going into the situation with a sober head. Make sure you have at least two other people with you, and never take on an obsticle that your not comfortable with because others are doing it! Make sure to post pics of the journey

Indefatigable

I thought the "Rubicon" model jeep was named that because it can run this trail stock... No?

The "Trail Rated" badge says it did the Rubicon Trail. The measuring stick used to receive the badge.

Though this may be true and possible.... I would not necessarily want to own said stock vehicle after a trip such as this.

Prime8

Indefatigable said:
The "Trail Rated" badge says it did the Rubicon Trail. The measuring stick used to receive the badge.

Though this may be true and possible.... I would not necessarily want to own said stock vehicle after a trip such as this.

I find it doubtful that a stock sport could run the Trail with street tires...

Indefatigable

Its amazing what you can get one to do...

...just saying I would not necessarily want to own it after the trail ride is finished.

There is alot of footage from last September with the new 2012 on the Rubicon. Just check youtube for the journalists' videos. Alot of them are not English speaking. They had everything from built Rubis to stock Sports and Saharas.

StrizzyChris

I thought the "Rubicon" model jeep was named that because it can run this trail stock... No?

Yes, that's template they designed it around, but that doesnt mean you will come out unscathed. To have less likelyhood of coming out without damage to your pretty 35K Rubicon, you'll wanna do some upgrades!:eek: You can do it in an x/sport but you better be a damn good wheeler, preferably go at the end of the season before winter, and plan for this trip taking a LONG time!

StrizzyChris

Also.....I found this pic posted a while back and saved it to my computer. I dont want to take the credit, as it was put together by a member on JK-Forum, but I thought it would be a good reference for you as some of the things you may want to consider taking with you on your trip!
parts list.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

you can run the rubicon stock especially now that it's gotten so much easier but, if you want to actually have a good time (i.e. little to no winching/strapping), on a 4-door with tow points front and rear and rocker guards, i would recommend 2.5" of lift and 35" tires as a minimum. i have done it and without lockers or a 4:1 t-case and without any problems.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

it can be done and i have seen it done but, it takes A LOT of work to do and some body damage is likely. having said that, just because you can do something doesn't always mean it's a good idea to do. at least, i would prefer not to as it really is all work and no fun.

Top Bottom