Worm drive VS Planetary

Geekbsd

When I first got my Jeep I started reading about winches, no not wenches.
I learned the follow:
  • Heat is an issue and can harm synthic line.
  • Spooling out line can take time depending on type.
  • Heat can come the winch break (and other).
  • Worm gear +low heat +"built-in" break -SLOW.
  • Planetary +"fast" -move moving parts -hotter than worm.
Most Warn (10,000 lbs) winches are cheaper than the ONE electric worm drive winch I have found.

I don't plan to crawl up rocks or cliffs, but I will likely need to rely the winch should I get stuck. I don't want to buy a winch that I need to modify or alter to get a highly dependable winch. Are the costs worth a worm drive winch? Are the problems of a planetary drive (heat, breaking) seldom or real? Is a worm drive better than a planetary? Do I buy a cheaper Warn winch or the pricey SuperWinch.

dahreno

Banned
Have you found that Superwinch is more expensive then Warn ? I can't believe that . I'm sure some will disagree with me but most of the time I have found that people usually just need a little tug, not a big long pull that will create so much heat that things begin to fray and melt.

Army_Vet

Banned
Check out the midwest JKX vids and you will see Mel from ORE do a long pull through deep heavy mud. Its impressive what that warn winch was able to do. So far in all the vids this is the longest pull I have seen.

Geekbsd

Have you found that Superwinch is more expensive then Warn ? I can't believe that . I'm sure some will disagree with me but most of the time I have found that people usually just need a little tug, not a big long pull that will create so much heat that things begin to fray and melt.

dahreno the Superwinch are cheaper when comparing planetary vs planetary. As far as I know, Warn does not make a worm gear winch. When comparing Superwinch's worm-gear winch to most of Warn's planetary winches, Superwinch is more expensive.

Indefatigable

That Looks like it is an $1,800.00 dollar winch, and for that price I would get a worm drive.

They really have not changed much since 1974. Mine was made late 70s that I have had for a decade.

Used they can be had for a few hundred and usually a nice used one is 500. Craigslist can be your friend.

I am a believer in this winch. In my opinion, nothing really comes close. The newer -50 series motor can retrofit onto the older ones easy bolt in application. I have run both the older and newer style motor.

We 8274 types are "different". Just like the winch!

But if you are just looking for a lay down style for a JK. I would go with one of Warn's HS9500, 9.5 or whatever they are going by these days. Lots of flavours available in that winch edition - just pick the options that work for you. It is faster than most. (no load line speed really really matters- loaded line speed not so much)

Top Bottom