Bilstein 5100 or 5160 Shocks

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

I am looking into buying Bilstein 5100 or 5160 Shocks for my rig. I am planning on going to Coil overs next year but need some whatever shocks until then. What you guys think on shocks, Bilstein 5100 or 5160 Shocks or different shocks for a 4.5" lift? I'm currently having a problem with my shocks that I have with limitation.

liljohn850

If you know you're going to coilovers just buy 5100's...the price of 60's is that much more..for something you're just going to change

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Make sure you ride in a 5100's equipped Jeep...you may not like em. I hate them. I have the AEV 2.5" lift, and installed Rancho 9000 shocks instead. The AEV 5100s are in my basement. Note, I am NOT saying they are a low quality shock, Im simply saying that IMHO, they are extremely stiff and uncomfortable.

liljohn850

Make sure you ride in a 5100's equipped Jeep...you may not like em. I hate them. I have the AEV 2.5" lift, and installed Rancho 9000 shocks instead. The AEV 5100s are in my basement. Note, I am NOT saying they are a low quality shock, Im simply saying that IMHO, they are extremely stiff and uncomfortable.

did you get the AEV Spec shocks? I forget if they have their own valving set up for the 5100 series. Like EMU shocks are just valved differently and what not. I have just regular ol 5100's and like em...my jeep is a bit stiff bc of my terrible spring selection, but...I agree with riding in a jeep with parts you desire. That's the true test.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
did you get the AEV Spec shocks? I forget if they have their own valving set up for the 5100 series. Like EMU shocks are just valved differently and what not. I have just regular ol 5100's and like em...my jeep is a bit stiff bc of my terrible spring selection, but...I agree with riding in a jeep with parts you desire. That's the true test.

I indeed have the AEV 5100s, but the Jeep I rode in had regular off the shelf 5100s. I have an s2000 as a track toy on bilstein PSS9 coilovers and it's 2" from the ground. I know what stiff rides are. :D For my taste, on NYC/NJ roads, for daily driving, the 5100s were completely unacceptable. If where you live your roads are nice, you may have a very different opinion. Since I didn't like the ride on the regular 5100s, I didnt bother installing mine when I got the lift. I took advantage of the Rachno shocktober program and got 3 for the price of 4. The Rancho 9000s ride is sublime.

Last edited:

liljohn850

I indeed have the AEV 5100s, but the Jeep I rode in had regular off the shelf 5100s. I have an s2000 as a track toy on bilstein PSS9 coilovers and it's 2" from the ground. I know what stiff rides are. :D For my taste, on NYC/NJ roads, for daily driving, the 5100s were completely unacceptable. If where you live your roads are nice, you may have a very different opinion. Since I didn't like the ride on the regular 5100s, I didnt bother installing mine when I got the lift. I took advantage of the Rachno shocktober program and got 3 for the price of 4. The Rancho 9000s ride is sublime.

I live in Hawaii....on Oahu...they have a program to replace blown tires due to pot-holes. So...I feel ya on terrible roads. :thumb: Mine is stiff bc of my springs. My ride isn't bouncey....but it's def stiff. lol

JK's JK

Banned
What about the Fox Racing Shox JK 2007-11, Front, Smooth Body IFP., 4 in - 6 in Lift? But I dont know if there made for wheeling but sand racing??

So what I have in mind is

Fox Racing Shox JK 2007-11, Front, Smooth Body IFP., 4 in - 6 in Lift
or
Bilstein JK 07-12, Front 5100 Series Gas Shock, 3.5 inch -5 inch Lift
or
Rancho 9000 shocks

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
What about the Fox Racing Shox JK 2007-11, Front, Smooth Body IFP., 4 in - 6 in Lift? But I dont know if there made for wheeling but sand racing??

or
or
Rancho 9000 shocks

I have no first hand experience with them but from what I understand the fox shocks are also serious offroad shocks will translate into stiff on road feel. Is your jeep mostly road driven? If it is you'll love the 9000s. If you want a more offroad leaning shock at the expense of some ride quality than the 7000s would be a solid choice as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Guys,

I am looking into buying Bilstein 5100 or 5160 Shocks for my rig. I am planning on going to Coil overs next year but need some whatever shocks until then. What you guys think on shocks, Bilstein 5100 or 5160 Shocks or different shocks for a 4.5" lift? I'm currently having a problem with my shocks that I have with limitation.

They are the same shock only the 60 has reservoirs. If you do a lot of high speed desert driving, the reservoirs will help to keep the oil from cavitating. If you're just flexing out on the trail, the 5100's will be all that you need.

JK's JK

Banned
They are the same shock only the 60 has reservoirs. If you do a lot of high speed desert driving, the reservoirs will help to keep the oil from cavitating. If you're just flexing out on the trail, the 5100's will be all that you need.

Your the man Eddie. Just trying to pass the time until Coil overs. :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

In all fairness, you tested them out on your AEV 2.5" coils. It is my subjective opinion that it is your coils that are the real culprit and that the shocks just didn't help any. I have ridden on 5100's on a lot of different cols and some were definitely more comfortable than others.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
In all fairness, you tested them out on your AEV 2.5" coils. It is my subjective opinion that it is your coils that are the real culprit and that the shocks just didn't help any. I have ridden on 5100's on a lot of different cols and some were definitely more comfortable than others.

I didn't test them out at all. I rode in another Jeep that had a 2.5" lift (not AEV, but I don't know what it had) with the 5100s and didn't like them. Add to that all the reviews I read (on various vehicles, not just jeeps) that they ride harshly, I didn't want to waste time and ordered the Rancho 9000s before I even got the lift. I never installed 5100s on my rig, just the AEV/Rancho shocks and love the ride....I would say slightly more comfortable than a stock JKUR, but definitely AT LEAST as good as stock.

I wasn't telling the OP not to go with the 5100s, Bilstein makes a fine product (all my sports cars have bilstein coilovers) but that he should try and ride in a rig with em, and not to discount the Rancho units.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't test them out at all. I rode in another Jeep that had a 2.5" lift (not AEV, but I don't know what it had) with the 5100s and didn't like them. Add to that all the reviews I read (on various vehicles, not just jeeps) that they ride harshly, I didn't want to waste time and ordered the Rancho 9000s before I even got the lift. I never installed 5100s on my rig, just the AEV/Rancho shocks and love the ride....I would say slightly more comfortable than a stock JKUR, but definitely AT LEAST as good as stock.

I wasn't telling the OP not to go with the 5100s, Bilstein makes a fine product (all my sports cars have bilstein coilovers) but that he should try and ride in a rig with em, and not to discount the Rancho units.

I understand all that and I would agree that the Rancho 9000's are nice shocks especially being that you can adjust them. I just wanted to note that most of the lift coils I have tested have all been on the firm to harsh side and, depending on what shocks you run with them, can be more so. In a way, it's unavoidable due to the fact that if you make them too soft, they can deflect and cause other issues. Of course, as I always like to point out, ride comfort and quality is 100% subjective and what I might find comfortable may not be what you find comfortable. If it were me, I still would prefer a Rancho 7000 MT over a 9000 but would guess you would prefer the opposite.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I understand all that and I would agree that the Rancho 9000's are nice shocks especially being that you can adjust them. I just wanted to note that most of the lift coils I have tested have all been on the firm to harsh side and, depending on what shocks you run with them, can be more so. In a way, it's unavoidable due to the fact that if you make them too soft, they can deflect and cause other issues. Of course, as I always like to point out, ride comfort and quality is 100% subjective and what I might find comfortable may not be what you find comfortable. If it were me, I still would prefer a Rancho 7000 MT over a 9000 but would guess you would prefer the opposite.

I prefer the 9000s only because my roads suck something awful and my jeep is mostly road driven. If I lived out west, I think I would prefer the 7000s. Your roads are better and I would sacrifice a bit of ride quality for better offroad performance (which I would utilize far more often.) Having said all that, I would probably build my rig differently if I lived out west.

mrmet1983

5100s will be fine I have them on my rig now until I get COs and love them I'm on 37s with 4" enforcer

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

GeckoGlow

or
or
Rancho 9000 shocks

I have the Fox IFP shocks. All I can compare them to is stock, and they are quite a bit firmer, but not what I would consider harsh. No off-road experience with them yet.

Top Bottom