Ring test..

Smizar

Anybody ever hear of checking if a engine has been overheated by checking the temper on the compression ring?

kaptkrappy

Anybody ever hear of checking if a engine has been overheated by checking the temper on the compression ring?

I asked (googled) this question and there isn't a single result that mentions the temper of piston combustion rings or a reason to test for it.

If you have the engine apart and the rings off the pistons, who cares if the motor was overheated in the past. it's rebuild/re-ring time.

I'm curious, why you are asking. :thinking:

Smizar

kaptkrappy said:
I asked (googled) this question and there isn't a single result that mentions the temper of piston combustion rings or a reason to test for it.

If you have the engine apart and the rings off the pistons, who cares if the motor was overheated in the past. it's rebuild/re-ring time.

I'm curious, why you are asking. :thinking:

My jeep is at the dealer for exssesive, they tore it down and said that the rings had lost their temper so the engine had to have been overheated voiding the warranty, I've owned it since day one and it's never had a heating issue...

Chairokey

Man that pisses me off just hearing that.. I hope you can get it resolved. Seems anytime I need a break the big guy always finds a way to shut me down

kaptkrappy

My jeep is at the dealer for exssesive, they tore it down and said that the rings had lost their temper so the engine had to have been overheated voiding the warranty, I've owned it since day one and it's never had a heating issue...

They can't void your warranty because it overheated. (period)

They can possibly void your warranty because an aftermarket part (bumper with grille guard) or a non-spec fluid (coolant or oil) caused your JK to overheat and ruin the piston rings temper.

This sucks.

Smizar

kaptkrappy said:
They can't void your warranty because it overheated. (period)

They can possibly void your warranty because an aftermarket part (bumper with grille guard) or a non-spec fluid (coolant or oil) caused your JK to overheat and ruin the piston rings temper.

This sucks.

I must have screamed BS just enough because I just got the call saying a new short block had been approved and the heads were sent out today to be rebuilt..

Chairokey

Smizar said:
I must have screamed BS just enough because I just got the call saying a new short block had been approved and the heads were sent out today to be rebuilt..

Hell yes! Good for you !

kaptkrappy

Customer wins !

I just read your post this morning and it made me smile.

I and I'm sure everyone reading your thread is very happy for you. :beer:

Customer wins !
(doesn't seem to happen to often lately)

Smizar

Well come to find out some bobble head tech stuck his nose in where it did need to be and told the other tech" wana see a neat trick?" thus the ring test was born, well the service mgr ran with this morons theory and never ever checked with Chrysler, he just had one of his minions call me and say hey dude your screwed... Well nice try Dick head...

Top Bottom