Tierod flip

Does anyone if it is possible, AND by what means, to do a Tierod flip on a Jk? Must be a flip, not just a minor height increase by way of Reid knuckles.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Artec makes a kit that works with the orange knuckles to give you something like what you're wanting but really, for the price, I would just get a good HD tie-rod like what Currie makes and call it a day.

JK's JK

Banned
Artec makes a kit that works with the orange knuckles to give you something like what you're wanting but really, for the price, I would just get a good HD tie-rod like what Currie makes and call it a day.

Eddie answer me this.

You get the EVO flip kit which will get the drag link to the top of the knuckle. Then you can flip your tie rod to the top of the knuckle and drill it out. This would work right???

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Thanks I was doing a retorque today and saw how venerable that bad boy is and had the same thoughts as RR. Thanks for the info

I'm trying to clear up a debate on whether or not you can do an actual flip. I've done the orange mistake on mine already,lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie answer me this.

You get the EVO flip kit which will get the drag link to the top of the knuckle. Then you can flip your tie rod to the top of the knuckle and drill it out. This would work right???

Try it. There's simply not enough room.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to clear up a debate on whether or not you can do an actual flip. I've done the orange mistake on mine already,lol.

You can but, you need knuckles that will allow you to install high steer arms. The orange guys sell one and artec sells the arms. The whole thing is really pricey when all is said and done and, being that you're still gonna hit your tie rod, it is my opinion that you should just install an HD one and call it a day.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your right Lee!!!!

I thought I heard from someone that you can flip the tie rod and use the 1 ton setup!!!! :mad:

I hear a lot of things from a lot of people all the time and, if it's posted on the internet, it must be true - BONJOUR :standing wave:

I went orange like Eddie just said and I only gained a inch, you can't really even see a difference. I could've saved some money and time and just bought a can of orange paint,lol.

JK's JK

Banned
Ok Guys, What do you think of this???

I'm thinking possible getting solid 4130 1.75" diameter chromoly steel rod and then taking it over to a mill shop to get threading into it. Use the Currie 1 ton tie rod ends.

The weight of this rod is 35 pounds.

ttfhell

Ok Guys, What do you think of this???

I'm thinking possible getting solid 4130 1.75" diameter chromoly steel rod and then taking it over to a mill shop to get threading into it. Use the Currie 1 ton tie rod ends.

The weight of this rod is 35 pounds.

That's a man's tie rod right there.

JK's JK

Banned
After thinking about it a little bit that may weight to much over all. The 1.75OD X 0.120 WALL 4130 ALLOY TUBE is only 9.3 pounds at 4.5 feet. Or should I go with a 2OD X 0.120 WALL 4130 ALLOY TUBE and the weight at 4.5 feet is 11 pounds?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you do it, you do know that you need to make sure that you have the necessary bends in it to make it clear your differential when turning, right?

Jason W.

I went with a 7075(I think that is the number) aluminum tie rod from a local campany. I really like that it allways springs back to form. I watched another JK push it into a rock and bend it back probably two inches and it went right back straight as new.

Rebel JK

After thinking about it a little bit that may weight to much over all. The 1.75OD X 0.120 WALL 4130 ALLOY TUBE is only 9.3 pounds at 4.5 feet. Or should I go with a 2OD X 0.120 WALL 4130 ALLOY TUBE and the weight at 4.5 feet is 11 pounds?

Did you make any headway on this? Curious how you will adapt the tre's to either 2" od with an id of 1.88 or an od of 1.75 / id of 1.63. I guess it depends on bung size?

JK's JK

Banned
Did you make any headway on this? Curious how you will adapt the tre's to either 2" od with an id of 1.88 or an od of 1.75 / id of 1.63. I guess it depends on bung size?

Well I couldn't find any that would fit a 1.75ODx.120 wall and 2" chromoly tube. However I did find 1.5ODx.250 wall Chromoly 3.3223ppf and found some tube ends that would work for that size. It's actually thicker and heavier than the 1.75ODx.120 wall 2.0795ppf . I wanted to use the Currie tie rods but you brought up a good thought about the distance from the diff cover. I ended up calling Currie asking if they would sell me there tie rod ends that are bent but they said no along with telling me not to drill my factory knuckle but buy theirs instead (summarized). So I'm still looking for a different tie rod ends instead of the http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TREOFF.html.

Over all I don't think it's thicker than your setup but it's chromoly. I'm still researching.

Rebel JK

Got it. On some ends you also need to keep in mind your backspacing as well. Good luck. Will follow to see what you end up with.

Top Bottom