Clunk in my Trunk

Prime8

I have a clunking in my rear end that seems to be more pronounced in the afternoon. My car sits outside in a lot all day in the sun, whereas it sleeps in a garage all night. The clunking occurs when hitting bumps, and the larger the bump, the louder the noise. Sounds almost like something is banging into the tub...? Not sure. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

07rub

theres not a whole lot on stuff in the back, take a look under to see if something is loose/ or broken, could be ur end links shock bottoming out a loose coil

good luck

Prime8

07rub said:
theres not a whole lot on stuff in the back, take a look under to see if something is loose/ or broken, could be ur end links shock bottoming out a loose coil

good luck

I've crawled under there numerous times, both off the ground and on, and shook the LCAs, shocks, springs, track bar, exhaust, rear driveshaft, and trailer hitch. The only thing that nudged was the DS, but I pulled that off and retightened the pinion nut a couple weeks ago.

07rub

the only thing i could see is that ur shocks lost there oil and are bottoming out, i guess the best way to test that idea would just to remove the bottom bolt and feel if the actually do there job lol

Prime8

07rub said:
the only thing i could see is that ur shocks lost there oil and are bottoming out, i guess the best way to test that idea would just to remove the bottom bolt and feel if the actually do there job lol

Wouldn't I notice excessive travel in the rear if that were the case...?

TrailBear

If your shocks are gone the back would have a bit of a bounce to it when going over bumps, you can push up and down on your bumper a few times.

StrizzyChris

This may not be it AT ALL...but have you made sure the nut on the end of your jack stand is tight, keeping it snug in its craddle? :thinking:

Prime8

StrizzyChris said:
This may not be it AT ALL...but have you made sure the nut on the end of your jack stand is tight, keeping it snug in its craddle? :thinking:

Easy enough to check, and I actually thought of that last night. The sound seems heavier though. I'll pull it tomorrow and check. It's 102 and humid in Illinois today, so it'll have to wait... Haha. Don't need the stock jack anyways...

Prime8

Irishcoffee said:
Rear door noise ?

Tried shaking the tailgate door while closed and open... Nothing. Is there anything internally that would bang around loudly in the tailgate if the third tail light is disconnected....?

TX_JK

Does your JK have the HARDTOP on? I've put my hardtop back on and forgot to re-attach it to the tub which might cause it lift up and make noise when going over bumps?

The other thing you might try is have someone ride in the back and see if they can pin point the sound. Maybe someone riding in the back can either hear the noise or feel it to help locate it.

I'd also crawl under the back of the jeep and put a wrench on everything to just make sure nothings loose. Shock bolts, control arms, trackbar, swaybar, links, bumper bolts, etc...

Do all your exhaust hangers look ok? Plenty of clearance around all your exhaust?

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Check to see if the bolts on your swaybar end links are making contact with whatever bumpstop extensions (assuming you are running them) you have on the rear axle perch. I have seen and heard a similar "thunk" on a buddy's Jeep and this is what it turned out to be.

Prime8

ChrisB said:
Have you check the bushings lately?

I have not. But there was some damage to the one rear LCA from improper install, and RK sent me both rear LCAs free! Just haven't installed them yet. The warranty issue isn't something that would cause the clunking, but by swapping out my rear LCAs I'll know if there is a bushing issue.

Prime8

TX_JK said:
Does your JK have the HARDTOP on? I've put my hardtop back on and forgot to re-attach it to the tub which might cause it lift up and make noise when going over bumps?

The other thing you might try is have someone ride in the back and see if they can pin point the sound. Maybe someone riding in the back can either hear the noise or feel it to help locate it.

I'd also crawl under the back of the jeep and put a wrench on everything to just make sure nothings loose. Shock bolts, control arms, trackbar, swaybar, links, bumper bolts, etc...

Do all your exhaust hangers look ok? Plenty of clearance around all your exhaust?

Trektop nx is currently on. First thought was exhaust, but everything is tight and the clunking is a deep, heavy sound, not so much a rattling noise.

Top Bottom