New tires

capncc

I just installed a RK 2.5 mod lift on our 2011 Rubicon 2 dr. Looking at Nitto Trail Grappler and Terra Grappler in a LT295/70R17 installed on my stock wheels. I'm thinking I'll need wheel spacers but am not sure on the size and if I'll need to trim the Rubicon rock rail. The Goodyear Duratracs are an option. Confused!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
if your running them on stock wheels then yes you will need wheel spacers, or aftermarket wheel with 4.5 backspacing or less to clear the new tires.

Flatattack

I'm happy with my Duratrac's but I heard great things about the Trailgrapplers as well. Your Rubi Rails will not be in the way, but it's not a bad idea to cut them any way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you will need wheel spacers and I would recommend a set of 1.5" Spidertrax.

Spartan

As mentioned, you will need wheel spacers and I would recommend a set of 1.5" Spidertrax.

Have your had many problems with wheels spacers? I have always been worried about running them. Wasn't sure if they could hold up to much trail abuse.

jeffd

Have your had many problems with wheels spacers? I have always been worried about running them. Wasn't sure if they could hold up to much trail abuse.

I read an article where spidertrax held up under destructive testing and the stock wheel failed before the the spidertrax spacer did.

1BAMFR

1.5" spacers will push you out far enough to run the stock rims. I ran spacers for 2 years with ZERO issues!

Nitto Trail Grapplers are :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
be sure to get SpiderTrax

there are cheaper ones out there but they tend to be universal fit and/or not hub or wheel centric which = poor fit and issues

mrmet1983

be sure to get SpiderTrax

there are cheaper ones out there but they tend to be universal fit and/or not hub or wheel centric which = poor fit and issues

I have rough country spacers on my rig for almost a year not a single problem and they are vehicle specific only for jeep they for perfect and are made from the same aircraft grade alluminim if I'm correct and for half the price

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

JayKay

Caught the Bug

Working in a tire and wheel shop, I have seen a lot of spacers being used. People even run them on a lot of lifted duallys to space the rear wheels apart to prevent them from rubbing each other. The only spacers I would run are 1-2" bolt ons. They make the thinner ones that just slip over the studs, they're the ones that i think most people would have problems with. Less stud sticking out for the lug nut to grab, non hub-centric, etc. So yes, the spacers you would need won't cause you any problems.

croix

Should be fine

I just put on the RK 2.5 max travel with Duratrac 315/70 17 tires and Rough Country hub centric 1.5" spacers and stock rims. At full lock left I get a slight rub, but my axle is not quite centered (1/2" off). Once I make the track bar adjustment I'm hoping all rubbing will go away. Of course when I can afford rims with 4.5" backspacing I'm sure everything will clear.

I think that the 295s you are looking at should have no issues with 1.5" spacers and stock rims. Just make sure your axle is centered ;)

FWIW - I love the Duratracs.

capncc

Thanks Everyone

I'll order the spidertrax spacers. I'm on the fence over the 295/70R17 Nitto trail Grappler and the 285/70R17 so I'llbe mulling that over for a bit. Trying to get ur done so we can drive back to KC MO from SOCAL to see a new Granddaughter. It's gotta look good for a couple of JK's our family has back there.

steve_r2

Just another to look at. Depending on what type of driving you are planning on doing and if its your DD ? Have a look at Cooper Discoverer AT3s as well.

jeffd

I'll order the spidertrax spacers. I'm on the fence over the 295/70R17 Nitto trail Grappler and the 285/70R17 so I'llbe mulling that over for a bit. Trying to get ur done so we can drive back to KC MO from SOCAL to see a new Granddaughter. It's gotta look good for a couple of JK's our family has back there.

go bigger it is amazing how fast 285/70-17's look small. Altho for a roadtrip from KC to So cal and back I would probably keep some highway tread design on. In fact I would keep it bone stock until you get back. Both lifting and bigger rubber is going to hurt mpg and possibly ride. That all said I run Toyo Open Country AT2 extremes in 285/75-17 and smooth as stock and quiet too.
IMG_20131226_130821_742_zpsdafe1773.jpg

Top Bottom