Shifting into 4lo on the fly?

desertrunner

so i got stuck in really bad stop and go traffic on the 70 this weekend on an up hill stretch and being in a 6 speed was getting real taxing so i decided to switch into 4lo and just creep along with traffic which was great until traffic got moving over 10 mph. looking in the owners manual real quick it said that coasting at around 2-3 mph you could switch in and out of 4lo so i slowed down but only to about 5 mph pushed in the clutch and popped it into 4hi. It went in fine no grinding but made quite the thud when doing so that didnt make me too happy. so i was just curious if it was fine to shift into 4lo on the fly or if its really recommended to be stopped or barely moving? last thing i wanna to is blow my t-case

mtnbiker995

so i got stuck in really bad stop and go traffic on the 70 this weekend on an up hill stretch and being in a 6 speed was getting real taxing so i decided to switch into 4lo and just creep along with traffic which was great until traffic got moving over 10 mph. looking in the owners manual real quick it said that coasting at around 2-3 mph you could switch in and out of 4lo so i slowed down but only to about 5 mph pushed in the clutch and popped it into 4hi. It went in fine no grinding but made quite the thud when doing so that didnt make me too happy. so i was just curious if it was fine to shift into 4lo on the fly or if its really recommended to be stopped or barely moving? last thing i wanna to is blow my t-case

You should have your transmission in neutral when going between hi and lo range

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I wouldn't try running 4LO on dry pavement like that - PERIOD. You'll put a lot of stress on your front axle shafts and depending on the situation, can break things. As far as shifting goes, you're probably okay but, I wouldn't make a habit of doing that even off road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You should have your transmission in neutral when going between hi and lo range

He said he put in the clutch, on a manual, that's about the same thing as putting it neutral for an auto.

desertrunner

Honestly, I wouldn't try running 4LO on dry pavement like that - PERIOD. You'll put a lot of stress on your front axle shafts and depending on the situation, can break things. As far as shifting goes, you're probably okay but, I wouldn't make a habit of doing that even off road.

it was really snowy and icy when driving over the pass mostly snow floor so hopefully i wasnt putting too much stress on things but about an hour and a half in stop and go traffic barely creeping along i had to do something to get a break but yeah i definitely wont make a habit of it i was just curious if it was alright if i get desperate again or to never do it again haha

desertrunner

thank you once again for the info and a fast response :thumb:

mtnbiker995

He said he put in the clutch, on a manual, that's about the same thing as putting it neutral for an auto.

This is true. I have the 6 speed though and have always heard that it's best to still shift into neutral before swapping ranges. Whether or not it's true, it's not that much effort for me to bump to neutral

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is true. I have the 6 speed though and have always heard that it's best to still shift into neutral before swapping ranges. Whether or not it's true, it's not that much effort for me to bump to neutral

It's the same thing as pushing the clutch in. You can't drive with your foot on the clutch right? Just like you can't drive in neutral.

davantalus

so i decided to switch into 4lo and just creep along with traffic
YOURE MY HERO! I've wanted to do that so many times... but never had the balls. :rock:

Anyway, sixth gear is good up to what? 20-30mph? Maybe just hit the shoulder if traffic starts to really move?

Top Bottom