New rig and question with gusset s

zaid7

So I picked up my new baby today the question I have is I will be welding on some inner c on my D30 while I await for my tera HD44 and I am wanting to to no do I have to strip the axle Down to do it or can I just go for it. Also here is a photo of my new rig also

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1389266662530.jpg
    1389266662530.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 117

StrizzyChris

you will just weld them on as is. No need to strip the axles down, but you will want to remove the wheels just for better access. Also take your time when welding and do it in small sections as to not overheat the knuckle and fry your balljoints.

When I did mine I lowered the axle and removed the springs too. It just gave me more room to weld and paint, but you wouldn't have to.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
^^^ same. when my welder did my gussets we took the wheels off and the springs out so he had more room to work. also as mentioned above weld small spots then move. we welded small spots at a time from the passenger side over to the driver side back to the passenger side etc.

JKFlyer

^^^ same. when my welder did my gussets we took the wheels off and the springs out so he had more room to work. also as mentioned above weld small spots then move. we welded small spots at a time from the passenger side over to the driver side back to the passenger side etc.

Just what Coz said! congrats on new rig

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on your new rig and, as mentioned, you'll have a much easier time welding with the tires and coils out of the way. Also, as mentioned, really really take your time and quench your ball joints frequently as they have plastic components that will melt.

Congrats on your new rig and, as mentioned, you'll have a much easier time welding with the tires and coils out of the way. Also, as mentioned, really really take your time and quench your ball joints frequently as they have plastic components that will melt.

Right on! I forgot about the quenching! I kept a small bucket of water and two rags handy. Welded a little bit, quickly threw one of the soaked rags and went to the other side took the rag off from the previous weld and re-soaked (cooled) the rag. Repeated back and forth until done, never welding more than a 1/2" at a time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right on! I forgot about the quenching! I kept a small bucket of water and two rags handy. Welded a little bit, quickly threw one of the soaked rags and went to the other side took the rag off from the previous weld and re-soaked (cooled) the rag. Repeated back and forth until done, never welding more than a 1/2" at a time.

Oh yeah, taking your time alone won't be enough to keep the ball joints from frying.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
stock-ball-joints-400.jpg
too much heat will melt the stock plastic innards, take your time and wet rags. just a visual so you can see what you or your welder can damage.

zaid7

Thanks a lot guys I am welder by. Trade so just wanted to make sure as this time I want to do the work on my rig not pay someone to rip me off.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom