DW source found - hopefully - opinions on upgrades

AZDIESELPIG

I finially got the source of my DW solved..hopefully...

What they found was that my tie rod was slighlty bent along with the upper and lower OEM ball joints had some movement. I know the tie rod was from the rock I hit. I thought it was the SS only that was damaged but I was wrong!

The Ball joints I am not sure is from jut a few episodes of DW or the 35" tires/ wheeling etc wore them out faster. I have 11,000 miles on the jeep.

I am having the following upgrades done:

Omix Chrome alloy ball joints

Currie HD Tie Rod

Teraflex HD Flip Kit w/frame brace.

Would like to see what everyones feedback are on the products....these were all suggested by the shop. I was looking to do a flip kit and I was considering Synergy or Teraflex.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A tie rod that is bent will not cause DW. It giving you too much toe-in will help instigate it thought. Being that your ball joints are worn (and yes, they can go bad in as little as 4,500 miles, ask me how I know), that is most likely your culprit and would start there. I am no fan of the TeraFlex flip as it utilizes a track bar relocation bracket the drops from the frame. This pushes apart the drag link and track bar and will give you some bump steer. I would recommend an EVO flip/track bar relocation bracket instead as it is all done on the axle end and is well reinforced. Getting a new Currie tie-rod is a good upgrade but, I'd have a hard time saying it's required to fix your DW. If you can afford it, I would definitely do it.

AZDIESELPIG

Thfiguredanks Edit
A tie rod that is bent will not cause DW. It giving you too much toe-in will help instigate it thought. Being that your ball joints are worn (and yes, they can go bad in as little as 4,500 miles, ask me how I know), that is most likely your culprit and would start there. I am no fan of the TeraFlex flip as it utilizes a track bar relocation bracket the drops from the frame. This pushes apart the drag link and track bar and will give you some bump steer. I would recommend an EVO flip/track bar relocation bracket instead as it is all done on the axle end and is well reinforced. Getting a new Currie tie-rod is a good upgrade but, I'd have a hard time saying it's required to fix your DW. If you can afford it, I would definitely do it.

Thanks Eddie. I'm going to double check this but I swore Desert Rat said they install this flip kit with all the aev lifts and don't have any issues. They have done right by me with all my upgrades so I'll give them the benefit right now.

Do flip kits have different results between 2 door and 4 door jeeps?

Teraflex told me any lifted jeep will have bump steer no matter what..which Ian not sure I believe but Iam a Jeep novice.

I figured I would upgrade the tie rod if I was going to replace it..the shop was going to replace it with OEM in the original quote.

I was going to do a flip kit at some point this month also..this just made me do it earlier!

BBrown626

I finially got the source of my DW solved..hopefully...

What they found was that my tie rod was slighlty bent along with the upper and lower OEM ball joints had some movement. I know the tie rod was from the rock I hit. I thought it was the SS only that was damaged but I was wrong!

The Ball joints I am not sure is from jut a few episodes of DW or the 35" tires/ wheeling etc wore them out faster. I have 11,000 miles on the jeep.

I am having the following upgrades done:

Omix Chrome alloy ball joints

Currie HD Tie Rod

Teraflex HD Flip Kit w/frame brace.

Would like to see what everyones feedback are on the products....these were all suggested by the shop. I was looking to do a flip kit and I was considering Synergy or Teraflex.

Thanks

If you are doing the work yourself those joints are pretty cheap on Amazon.

liljohn850

Thfiguredanks Edit

Thanks Eddie. I'm going to double check this but I swore Desert Rat said they install this flip kit with all the aev lifts and don't have any issues. They have done right by me with all my upgrades so I'll give them the benefit right now.

Do flip kits have different results between 2 door and 4 door jeeps?

Teraflex told me any lifted jeep will have bump steer no matter what..which Ian not sure I believe but Iam a Jeep novice.

I figured I would upgrade the tie rod if I was going to replace it..the shop was going to replace it with OEM in the original quote.

I was going to do a flip kit at some point this month also..this just made me do it earlier!

Not every lifted jeep has bump steer. I have almost 5 inches of lift and no bump steer. It's all about the geometry of all the steering and front suspension components being correct.

Sent from my pocket sized telecommunications and computing device.

Top Bottom