Hemi Swap at the Dealership

Thirdcoast

I was filling up at the gas station this morning and got to talking with the guy on the other side of the pump who was telling me about his TJ that he had. We were talking about what a dog the 3.8 was and he mentioned he thought he heard you could do a Hemi swap at the dealership and have it warrantied. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I can't even imagine the cost of that. And they would probably just deny your warranty if you have lift and tires anyway.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i agree with overlander on this one. the dealer would charge you wayyy more then its prob worth.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I suppose it's been a while since I have had to say this, so here goes:

Your dealer cannot change the terms of your warranty. Your warranty is through Chrysler, not your dealer. If a dealer or anyone else puts something on your Jeep that was not there when the Jeep left the factory floor, it can void your warranty if that aftermarket (even Mopar) part causes damage to an OEM part. Your dealer can offer to warranty the work or parts that they install, but that is a separate and new obligation created by your dealer...IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE TERMS OF YOUR CHRYSLER WARRANTY. If you have to take your Jeep to another dealer, they are under no obligation whatsoever to service or replace the aftermarket part installed by the first dealer.

So, any dealer telling you that they will do a hemi install (or a lift for that matter) and that it will be covered by your Chrysler warranty is absolutely, positively, full of shit.

Thirdcoast

I suppose it's been a while since I have had to say this, so here goes:

Your dealer cannot change the terms of your warranty. Your warranty is through Chrysler, not your dealer. If a dealer or anyone else puts something on your Jeep that was not there when the Jeep left the factory floor, it can void your warranty if that aftermarket (even Mopar) part causes damage to an OEM part. Your dealer can offer to warranty the work or parts that they install, but that is a separate and new obligation created by your dealer...IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE TERMS OF YOUR CHRYSLER WARRANTY. If you have to take your Jeep to another dealer, they are under no obligation whatsoever to service or replace the aftermarket part installed by the first dealer.

So, any dealer telling you that they will do a hemi install (or a lift for that matter) and that it will be covered by your Chrysler warranty is absolutely, positively, full of shit.

Thanks Sharkey, I am new to this Forum so I have not seen that but pretty much assumed as much. When I bought my first Jeep (Grand Cherokee WK) I was told this by my dealership. The gentleman who told me this information was a fellow Jeep patron at the gas station. Thanks for confirming that it CAN'T be warrantied and probably would be dramatically more expensive than a local off road shop.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Thanks Sharkey, I am new to this Forum so I have not seen that but pretty much assumed as much. When I bought my first Jeep (Grand Cherokee WK) I was told this by my dealership. The gentleman who told me this information was a fellow Jeep patron at the gas station. Thanks for confirming that it CAN'T be warrantied and probably would be dramatically more expensive than a local off road shop.

No worries. I get very, very frustrated with dealerships. My local dealership sells subpar, incomplete lifts on brand new Jeeps and use the "it's under warranty because we installed it" line all of the time. It's a bunch of crap. You pay way more than you should and the "warranty" gets you about as far as the dealership's parking lot.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Chrysler announced this back at SEMA 2012.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=4388F79CB8860CBF0423BA634E49F3D9?&id=13374&mid=2

16k for the 5.7L and 18k for the 6.4L. Add labor on top of that. If I remember correctly they are just rebadging the AEV swap kit...

I wonder why it's so much when they're re-using the existing 5 speed transmission (W5A580) with the 6.4L? That link only provided the price for the stand alone 5.7 crate, which was $6800. How'd we get from this to 18k by moving up to the 6.4 and using the existing transmission? :thinking:

If only they'd offer it as a true factory installed option with full warranty. Think they'd sell more 6.4L Wranglers than Grand Cherokees? :yup:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I wonder why it's so much when they're re-using the existing 5 speed transmission (W5A580) with the 6.4L? That link only provided the price for the stand alone 5.7 crate, which was $6800. How'd we get from this to 18k by moving up to the 6.4 and using the existing transmission? :thinking:

If only they'd offer it as a true factory installed option with full warranty. Think they'd sell more 6.4L Wranglers than Grand Cherokees? :yup:

You gotta read further down in the article..

Further Down in The Chrysler Press Release said:
Mopar 5.7-liter and 6.4-liter HEMI® V-8 Conversion Kits for Jeep Wrangler

Mopar’s newly created off-road division will announce a new Mopar 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 engine conversion kit that covers 2007 through 2011 model-year Jeep Wranglers. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is $18,599 and the part number is P5156162.

Producing approximately 470 horsepower and 470 lb.-ft. of torque to the rear wheels, the Mopar V-8 conversion kit gives Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts an unprecedented blend of power and capability. The Mopar Wrangler 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 conversion kit will mate to Chrysler Group’s W5A580 five-speed automatic transmission, and eventually to the six-speed manual transmission.

The new 5.7-liter HEMI conversion kit also covers 2007 through 2011 model-year Jeep Wranglers. The MSRP is $15,599 and the part number is P5156213. The engine generates approximately 375 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
You gotta read further down in the article..

Yeah, I guess what I was driving at was the article specifically states that the 6.4L works with the 5-sp transmission we'd already have. It doesn't specifically state that the 5.7L does as well. It also doesn't state what the 6.4L crate motor alone costs.

Just curious what you get in the "kit" besides the motor, wiring, brackets, etc to make up the additional 10 grand over the cost of the crate motor.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I guess what I was driving at was the article specifically states that the 6.4L works with the 5-sp transmission we'd already have. It doesn't specifically state that the 5.7L does as well. It also doesn't state what the 6.4L crate motor alone costs.

Just curious what you get in the "kit" besides the motor, wiring, brackets, etc to make up the additional 10 grand over the cost of the crate motor.

Here is a link to the AEV kit: http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-hemi-kit

They provide detail of the kit and the ambiguous statement: "Includes complete Bill of Materials indicating all Chrysler parts needed to complete the conversion."

When MOPAR decided to sell a "Long arm lift kit that is dealer installed" and rebranded the Rubicon Express LA kit, there was a ridiculous premium over going out and buying a Rubicon Express lift kit from a vendor. I would have to assume it's the same case for the HEMI swap kit.

Top Bottom