New Member in Ohio

Bogi

Hello all!

I'm a new Jeep owner and member. I bought a 2014 JKUR in late October.

Rubicon007_zps33514c41.jpg

Three weeks later I took the wife and three kids to Kentuky's Natural Bridge State Park where we met with a local Jeeper to explore around Zachariah trail.

NBKY-Trails009_zps1a207185.jpg

NBKY-Trails012_zps7eabf43c.jpg

NBKY-Trails013_zps64c0cbb4.jpg

When we left the trail my shiny new Jeep was pinstriped, muddy and had a big dent in one corner of the bumper but I was grinning for weeks.

NBKY-Trails017_zps1f05dcf7.jpg

After the trail I wanted a little more ground clearance. We crawled over a few downed trees and decided to by-passed a tight, muddy section where we might have slid sideways into a tree so rock sliders became a priority. This is my daily driver which sees about 55 miles of highway each day so I wanted to keep the upgrades modest and road friendly. I'll do more trails and gain experience/wisdom before deciding on going bigger. On went a Teraflex 1.5" PLK, Ace rock sliders and Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtreme 34's.

Sliders-Tires-Lift018_zps0d72f2de.jpg

I'm looking forward to exploring scenic trails with my wife and kids -giving my kids opportunities to discover and learn as they grow. It's been great fun virtually exploring trails on Wayalife's "Destinations & Beyond" section. Thanks much to everyone for sharing your pictures and videos!

Thank you for the amazing pictures and videos on the Wayalife's YouTube channel and Project-JK.com! It certainly took great time, effort and talent to produce them!

beans

Those pics are just so awesome! :D :D Where in Ohio are you from? We don't live far from there and I have alot of ties in that state :D :D

Bogi

I live in Troy and work at the University of Dayton. Go Flyers!

I've not been to any trails since Zachariah and I'm not sure that Ohio has more than fields and mud. I'm roughly three hours from Redbird park and Badlands in Indiana. I have been considering a trip to Redbird and maybe the 2014 Jamboree in Badlands. I've also been talking with the wife about taking the kids to Silver Lake Dunes in Michigan this summer as it seems a pretty family friendly place to spend a long weekend. I'd did not know about the dunes until watching the Wayalife, 2012 JK-Experience videos (incredible videos!!). It looks way too fun there!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I've not been to any trails since Zachariah and I'm not sure that Ohio has more than fields and mud. I'm roughly three hours from Redbird park and Badlands in Indiana. I have been considering a trip to Redbird and maybe the 2014 Jamboree in Badlands. I've also been talking with the wife about taking the kids to Silver Lake Dunes in Michigan this summer as it seems a pretty family friendly place to spend a long weekend. I'd did not know about the dunes until watching the Wayalife, 2012 JK-Experience videos (incredible videos!!). It looks way too fun there!

I'm from near Youngstown, if you get towards the south east side near the start of the Appalachian it has decent terrain

Bogi

I'm from near Youngstown, if you get towards the south east side near the start of the Appalachian it has decent terrain

I've been to the Hawking Hills, Lake Hope, Athens area a few times and it is much nicer terrain and more scenic. It sure seems like it would be one of the more ideal areas in Ohio to explore in the Jeep but I have yet to learn of public accessible trails in the area.

beans

Fun fun! :D I have alot of friends/family in Berlin and the surrounding areas! I haven't heard of the SIlver Lake Dunes...definitely need to see that this Spring!

Hey you should bring everyone down to the Rausch Creek trip in Feb!! :D There are a bunch of people going and its not that bad of a trip from Ohio!

There are plenty of nice little trails around our area. (I like a little north of Wilmington and work in Dayton) The key is to either get involved with a local club (there are a few in the area) or befriend a few farmers. While a bunch of the farm land around us is flat and tilled the wooded sections that are untillable often have some nice climbs and streams.

I am a member of Muddy Buddys. It is the largest group in the area with a little over 200 active members. We also host a Jeep Jam every year that draws more than 500 Jeeps. I like this club because it is family-oriented and the people are great. (It feels like a large family.) There are a few properties in the area that only allow members of our club to wheel on. But to be honest, we usually travel to the Ohio River Valley where there are several parks and places to legally wheel. We also organize longer trips a couple of times a year. (This year there are two Rausch Creek Trips and a Drummond Island trip in the works). BTW club meetings are held at the American Legion just off the UD campus on the third Friday of every month. (This coming Friday @ 6:30) If you come ask for the Swanks.

Welcome to Wayalife, perhaps I will see you on the trail sometime!

Bogi

Fun fun! :D I have alot of friends/family in Berlin and the surrounding areas! I haven't heard of the SIlver Lake Dunes...definitely need to see that this Spring!

Hey you should bring everyone down to the Rausch Creek trip in Feb!! :D There are a bunch of people going and its not that bad of a trip from Ohio!

If there's a way to work it out with the family schedule I or the wife and kids may make that one. That place looks lots of fun!

This would be my first trail since the new lift and tires. Until I know my modest lift has enough travel for my tires to not rip the front fenders I may have to stick with no more than Blue.

Bogi

There are plenty of nice little trails around our area. (I like a little north of Wilmington and work in Dayton) The key is to either get involved with a local club (there are a few in the area) or befriend a few farmers. While a bunch of the farm land around us is flat and tilled the wooded sections that are untillable often have some nice climbs and streams.

I am a member of Muddy Buddys. It is the largest group in the area with a little over 200 active members. We also host a Jeep Jam every year that draws more than 500 Jeeps. I like this club because it is family-oriented and the people are great. (It feels like a large family.) There are a few properties in the area that only allow members of our club to wheel on. But to be honest, we usually travel to the Ohio River Valley where there are several parks and places to legally wheel. We also organize longer trips a couple of times a year. (This year there are two Rausch Creek Trips and a Drummond Island trip in the works). BTW club meetings are held at the American Legion just off the UD campus on the third Friday of every month. (This coming Friday @ 6:30) If you come ask for the Swanks.

Welcome to Wayalife, perhaps I will see you on the trail sometime!

I've seen the club's site and have been considering attending a meeting. Family-oriented is sounds great! If I can make it this Friday I'll likely need to bring my 3 kids with me (4, 6, 8yo). If not this one I'll try for next month's. Thanks!

I've seen the club's site and have been considering attending a meeting. Family-oriented is sounds great! If I can make it this Friday I'll likely need to bring my 3 kids with me (4, 6, 8yo). If not this one I'll try for next month's. Thanks!

Kids are no problem, My 11 yr old is always with us and there all several other running around. I will caution you though, that it is at an American Legion which is a bar and they don't adhere to the state law on smoking. They allow us to have our meetings there for free. (It got tough to find places that could handle 150-250 people at the meetings). For free we deal with it for one night a month. This is honesty the worst thing about the club and meetings.

I hope to see you. Look us up!

Top Bottom