Need advice!

flotto

So here's my dilemma:

Today I was given the opportunity to buy a set of 37" MTR for $1000, which seems like a steal. They are all at 20/32 worth of tread. I'm not in the market for new tires bc my Duratracs have only 15k miles on them but you all know how owning a jeep is. Things that concern me:

Dana30 front axel with 37s
3.21 gear ratio - I have a 2012
I'd have to run without a spare
Current lift is yield about 2.5"-3" - which I could prolly just fender chop to get by

So the question stands do I buy them and then sell my Duratracs or stay put till the jeep is completely ready for bigger tires?

Atch

If you are going to wheel your rig offroad then I would build things up before running 37s.

X2....your jeep would be a pooch with the 3.21's and wouldn't be too great while wheeling. Also you won't have much articulation and you could have issues with your D30.

jeeeep

Hooked
also agree with the previous posts but why is the owner selling them?

IMO - If you buy them you'll want to have a spare, new wheels (or do they come with wheels?) and a tire that size I'd buy new with tire replacement insurance certificates.

JK's JK

Banned
That's what I struggle with when I see awesome buys. But if you dont plan on paying thousands then I'd wait personally.:yup:

Beyrgut

Build out the infrastructure first. You can wheel all day long with an over built suspension and drive-train, not so much with over-sized tires. If you just can't pass up the deal, get the tires and start saving for all the necessary upgrades.

Aeraun

I would also say build your rig to handle 37s before putting on 37s. Save yourself loads of trouble down the road. If passing the deal up grinds your gears that badly, buy and save em until you have the necessary upgrades to run them. My $.02

The Force will be with you.... always

JKFlyer

While everyone is right, if u don't plan to wheel, then go for it! Mall crawl baby!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So here's my dilemma:

Today I was given the opportunity to buy a set of 37" MTR for $1000, which seems like a steal. They are all at 20/32 worth of tread. I'm not in the market for new tires bc my Duratracs have only 15k miles on them but you all know how owning a jeep is. Things that concern me:

Dana30 front axel with 37s
3.21 gear ratio - I have a 2012
I'd have to run without a spare
Current lift is yield about 2.5"-3" - which I could prolly just fender chop to get by

So the question stands do I buy them and then sell my Duratracs or stay put till the jeep is completely ready for bigger tires?

First off, the tires are being sold for a steal of a price because they are one of the worst tires I have ever bought and run. The MTR with kevlar was one of the hardest tires I've ever had to balance and due to it's directional like tread design, had poor road manners. Also, I found them to be unpredictable on the rocks and to have weak sidewalls. Of course, that's just my experiences with them and why I ended up getting rid of mine for cheap.

Second, as mentioned, I would build up your rig before trying to run 37's

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

37's and 3.21 I had to leave my auto in "manual" third to TRY to keep highway speeds. No hurry in the acceleration department either of course. Could be tolerable for a very short period of time, I took them off after a week until I regear. My mpg went from 18ish to 11 or 12 too. I'm used to crap mileage but it's still nice to know what you'll be getting in to.

flotto

I know I should build it up I thought I'd just throw it out there.

So next question would be what should I do with that extra spending cash I have for the jeep?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I know I should build it up I thought I'd just throw it out there.

So next question would be what should I do with that extra spending cash I have for the jeep?

if your plan is to run 37's in the end, start building up the things you need to have to run 37's. gussets, axle shafts, drive shafts, figure out your tire carrier, ball joints. maybe save for a beefier front axle, so you're not worried about running 37's on a dana 30.
sucks because it costs alot to run 37's correct and most of the parts aren't noticeable like body armor and bumpers.

pauljbrennan

Buy the 37's and keep them in the garage for when the rig is ready for them. $1k is a good price. Never miss an opportunity to show your Jeep how much you love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cutch

First off, the tires are being sold for a steal of a price because they are one of the worst tires I have ever bought and run. The MTR with kevlar was one of the hardest tires I've ever had to balance and due to it's directional like tread design, had poor road manners. Also, I found them to be unpredictable on the rocks and to have weak sidewalls. Of course, that's just my experiences with them and why I ended up getting rid of mine for cheap.

Second, as mentioned, I would build up your rig before trying to run 37's

Wow....I had the previous generation on my YJ...they were great....wore a little quick but I could climb anything at Moab and other spots....good to hear that maybe I should rethink when I go to 37's on my JKU

Jason W.

I made the MTR mistake, seem impossible to balance, I have already said the heck with them and going back to Nitto,s

904Jeep

What size MTR were you guys running that you've had issues with. Load range and size seems to affect their balancing and sidewall strength. The 35" load C's I have have been a bit difficult to balance and they do pull to the right but I wouldn't say they have terrible road manners. Easily fixed for me by running slightly lower air pressure on one side.

Top Bottom