steering shaft

anyone know whats on the side of the steering shaft that goes into the firewall? or how its connected? my steering shaft has some play in it, so anytime booking it down a dirt road i cant hear it rattling around. Its on a wj, but it doesnt have to be vehicle specific. There is a little bit of play in the the slip joint, but not enough to make this loud noise. If i hold the slip joint still i can still wiggle the rest of the shaft going into the fire wall.

Moochie

Mine was also loose. I had a bushing on the engine side of the shaft that came loose from the firewall. I was able to push it back up the shaft with the help of a hammer. Once I got it back to the firewall I used a hose clamp around the shaft to keep the bushing from sliding back down. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389407786.421062.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Mine was also loose. I had a bushing on the engine side of the shaft that came loose from the firewall. I was able to push it back up the shaft with the help of a hammer. Once I got it back to the firewall I used a hose clamp around the shaft to keep the bushing from sliding back down. View attachment 63968

This is in the Cherokee forum, not sure if it's the same issue??

all steering is prerty much same concept in jeeps. Thanks moochie ill try that! Thata exactly what mine is like, i couldnt tell what was behind the rubber boot. Ill give that a shot.

Top Bottom