Air intake

JKLandon

Looking to get some extra gas mileage in my 2008 jk and not sure which is a good route on the air intakes so if you've installed one and liked the outcome please fill me in as I have no clue where to start

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I've got an aFe on mine. However, if I had to do it over I would either go with Airaid or Banks. Banks has the resonators that will keep the sound down. Me personally, I like the extra sound.

MTG

Caught the Bug
bdmckenna said:
I've got an aFe on mine. However, if I had to do it over I would either go with Airaid or Banks. Banks has the resonators that will keep the sound down. Me personally, I like the extra sound.

Curious why you wouldn't go with afe again?

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Curious why you wouldn't go with afe again?

The intake and TB spacer are ok. I think they were the first to market with their kits for the 2012 and it is more of a personal opinion, but I think they did not complete all of the research they should have. There are small fitment issues that I had to overcome. Don't get me wrong, they make great stuff. I just got a very early one. I think their cat back system sucks. That why I took it off and sent it back.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i just installed an airaid in my 2012 and really like how well it was designed and how complete it came. being in CA, it was also important for me that it be CARB compliant. here is a write-up that i did for it:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-Cold-Air-Intake-System-Installation-Write-Up

as far as oiled vs dry goes, i have always run oiled in the past and have been happy enough with them. if you wheel in really dusty conditions, i would recommend that you run it with a pre-filter though.

I just installed the banks on the kraken. I love that it's not noisy. That way I'm no always heavy on the skinny trying to listen to it. :D. Easy install. Took me 10 min to do.

Attachments

• image-225057405.jpg
    image-225057405.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 72

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Here's the picture of my aFe.

attachment.php

MTG

Caught the Bug
Does AFE make a pre-filter or are they universal? Sorry too lazy to google tonight.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does AFE make a pre-filter or are they universal? Sorry too lazy to google tonight.

don't know if they do but, even if they don't, all you really need to know is the dimensions of the filter you have and then you can just run a prefilter from a manufacturer that does make one like airaid or k&n.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I just installed a Volant CAI on my JK. Fits great, definitely a noticeable increase in throttle response and intake noise. Has a throaty sound to it that goes well with the Flowmaster super 44 I have welded in next to the evap box.

Last edited:

KernHydro

I think I messed up I got the dry and Im in cali. Can the dry filter be oiled or is it a different filter altogether?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I messed up I got the dry and Im in cali. Can the dry filter be oiled or is it a different filter altogether?

it's a different filter and should not be oiled. just get a pre-filter for it and you should be good.

KernHydro

wayoflife said:
it's a different filter and should not be oiled. just get a pre-filter for it and you should be good.

Have you heard of anyone damaging there engine from dust?

Top Bottom