Stock '07-'10 Rubicon Questions

Fragsrus

So, I will be in the market for on older JKUR in the coming months and I have a few questions regarding the capabilities of a stock rig. My buddies all drive modded rigs so I really have little idea what I'll be capable of stock. For instance, how effective are the stock Rubicon's rock rails and skid plates? Are there any particular areas of the body/drivetrain/suspension that tend to get damaged? Basically, I guess what I'm asking for is a kind of "new owner's guide". I have tried some searching but a vast majority of the info I've come across is for modded rides. If anyone here still remembers what it's like to drive stock and can offer some tips/hints or can point me to another source of info I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Tcdawg

The stock rubi rock rails work well for protection on hits coming from below them or directly next to them. They don't protect the tub area below your doors from side hits that may be above the rail. Overall they work well Same for the stock skid plates,they work well.

There is no stock oil pan skid though.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
The stock rubi rock rails work well for protection on hits coming from below them or directly next to them. They don't protect the tub area below your doors from side hits that may be above the rail. Overall they work well Same for the stock skid plates,they work well.

There is no stock oil pan skid though.

Agree with Tcdawg. Would add the the oil pan skid is a good should do. Only other things to consider depending on how much offloading you will do is getting bigger tires. I ran my stock 2010 rubi in Moab in ejs. Only mod I had was 35 tires, 2" lift. You might get away without the lift but you have trim the fenders. The rubi 4:10 diff ratios are great and as long as the jeeps rubi e locker and e disconnects are still working you will have a lot of capability

Fragsrus

I do plan on 35s with a 3" lift, eventually. I think first I will work on making sure I can recover myself, such as a winch, etc., and then body armor and other such protection mods. Capability wise, however, I will likely run stock for longer than I care to think of. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Charlie Mike

Fragsrus said:
For instance, how effective are the stock Rubicon's rock rails

The stock rocks rails have been working great for me. I play a little harder since I got coilovers and I still run the stock rails. I've hit them harder than I'm comfortable with a few times now, but they've held up. I will eventually be upgrading, but the stock rails will do fine for my needs so far.

Fragsrus said:
and skid plates?

Stock skid plates have been great as well. Mine are beat to hell. They are definitely doing their job. Exceeded my expectations for stock armor.

Fragsrus said:
Are there any particular areas of the body/drivetrain/suspension that tend to get damaged?

-I've been lucky. No real body damage besides some trail pinstriping from brush and trees branches.
-The stock lower control arm brackets hang down from the frame so of course they get bang'd up pretty good. These brackets were one of the first things i nick'd up on my first runs, but they still worked.
-Oil pan hangs down and is very exposed to the rocks, and there is no stock armor. Armor for the oil pan was one of my first mods I added to my jeep. Something I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't done it. Especially since if you seriously damaged or puncture the oil pan it will leave you High and (quiet literally) Dry.
-The EVAP canister is also very exposed and can be easily ripped off it's mounting bracket. Some people buy armor. Some people buy a relocation kit. I've heard arguments for both, but I chose the latter.

Fragsrus said:
If anyone here still remembers what it's like to drive stock and can offer some tips/hints or can point me to another source of info I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

This was my first off road vehicle so my frame of reference might not be as broad as others, but I remember when I first went wheeling in my Rubicon and was completely blown away by it's the performance. Hell, I'm still shocked by what a stock Sport JK can do. Some hill ascents and descents I felt shady about when I had a 2.5" lift with 35s, a stock Sport was keeping up. Maybe not as "graceful" or as fast, but it was hanging. Would I take on the Rubicon with a stock Rubicon? No. But with a couple buddies and they're rigs, on a "very difficult" trail, with a stock Rubicon? Bring it! Have fun out there.

Top Bottom