Winch cable question

In5ane1

So tonight did my initial cable set on new winch. Even after completing this, if I were to disengage to pull out the cable...several loops will unravel off the same row. Basically you have to retighten nearly whole row. Will cable ever completely set to winch or is this just characteristic of winch cable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JCMULEY

Yes, the wire rope will eventually form a memory. That is why you should take time to lay cable neatly after using winch. Also make sure you have cable rolling off the drum properly. If it is a Warn it needs to roll of the bottom not the top. Read your manual to verify for your particular Make and model.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

In5ane1

Yes, the wire rope will eventually form a memory. That is why you should take time to lay cable neatly after using winch. Also make sure you have cable rolling off the drum properly. If it is a Warn it needs to roll of the bottom not the top. Read your manual to verify for your particular Make and model.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Its an engo. It rolls off top. I set the cable like you should imitially but still seems like it wont take much for it to want tp unspool.

mtnbiker995

Its an engo. It rolls off top. I set the cable like you should imitially but still seems like it wont take much for it to want tp unspool.

Yours rolls off the top? My ENGO rolls off of the bottom of my drum

JCMULEY

Sounds like you need to verify proper spooling. The brake on many winches is not bidirectional, therefore if you spool it off the top and it should be off the bottom the brake will not work.

Sent from my stupidphone to yours...

In5ane1

Sounds like you need to verify proper spooling. The brake on many winches is not bidirectional, therefore if you spool it off the top and it should be off the bottom the brake will not work.

Sent from my stupidphone to yours...

Direction is correct. Its not the drum that moves. The cables just has a tendency to unravel when tensiin isnt on hook. I was just asking if it will eventually conform...

mtnbiker995

Direction is correct. Its not the drum that moves. The cables just has a tendency to unravel when tensiin isnt on hook. I was just asking if it will eventually conform...

I spool mine up then loosen it a little bit and hook a shackle...it'll unravel the first 5 or so feet of line but when you use you're winch it'll most likely be longer than a 5ft pull and you'll have to unspool even more. What I'm getting at is that a few loose wraps should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom