CB Radio

GRNHORN

Ok, I am very new to Jeeps and offroading. I know that when you all go on the trails you want everyone to have a CB radio, I have found one that I think will work for this purpose. Below is the site to show the Cobra 75 Jeep and Off-Road Kit, I would get the Wilson 3' flex Antena, and the JK tiremount. What do you all think? I am in Virginia and would like to start going to Rausch Creek with everyone here but I want to make sure I have a few items before I go so that I am less dependent on others.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-75-jeep-off-road-kit.html

Scott (GRNHORN)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The cobra 29 is a better radio and a lot cheaper at that. The downside when comparing the two is the 29 is bigger and cannot be disconnected as easily as the 75.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i run this radio and it is good for what we use it for. the speaker that comes in the kit is a little unecessary IMO cause ithink the radio is loud enough by its self. for an antenna i would go with the firestick 3' and the teraflex antenna mount. the firestick is a tunable tip so it helps with getting this radios swr frequency perfect.

KPM171

I'm running the 75 WX ST and have been very happy with it, I especially like that you can easily disconnect and hide everything for day to day and then connect for off road trips. I agree with Cozdude tho, that kit has a few extra things you don't really need. I'm also running a firestick, only a 2' but it works great for everything I need.

Here's another thread with some similar CB info that might help you out: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?10801-Need-some-CB-help

GRNHORN

The cobra 29 is a better radio and a lot cheaper at that. The downside when comparing the two is the 29 is bigger and cannot be disconnected as easily as the 75.

I am not concerned with being able to disconnect each time, I would like to avoid having to mount a big CB in my cab where room is limited and since it is new I don't want to drill unnecessary holes for mounts anywhere.

Thank you, though.

I am not concerned with being able to disconnect each time, I would like to avoid having to mount a big CB in my cab where room is limited and since it is new I don't want to drill unnecessary holes for mounts anywhere.

Thank you, though.

I found a CB mount that goes above the rear view mirror and no drilling was reqired. It is a little steep in price $40 plus but it is nice to have the CB there.

X2 on the Firestick and Teraflex antenna mount.

R/
Will

GRNHORN

I'm running the 75 WX ST and have been very happy with it, I especially like that you can easily disconnect and hide everything for day to day and then connect for off road trips. I agree with Cozdude tho, that kit has a few extra things you don't really need. I'm also running a firestick, only a 2' but it works great for everything I need.

Here's another thread with some similar CB info that might help you out: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?10801-Need-some-CB-help

This was helpful, I found this list in that thread, what is the spring?

You'll need...

•CB
•Coax
•Antenna
•Antenna Mount (Teraflex)
•Antenna Stud
•Antenna Spring (optional, but I'm glad I have one)

This was helpful, I found this list in that thread, what is the spring?

You'll need...

•CB
•Coax
•Antenna
•Antenna Mount (Teraflex)
•Antenna Stud
•Antenna Spring (optional, but I'm glad I have one)

The spring is placed between the antenna and mount to give the rigid Firestick some flex.

KPM171

The spring is placed between the antenna and mount to give the rigid Firestick some flex.
Winner winner chicken dinner! :thumb:

I learned the hard way that my antennas don't flex very much, so after breaking a few crush bearings and k4a bolts on low parking garage ceilings, I discovered antenna springs and haven't had that problem since.

Vichus

I was in the same situation myself a couple of weeks ago. I ended up going to a cb shop and talking to the folks there. I walked out with a Uniden Bearcat 880 for $110, a teraflex spare tire mount for $35, and an all metal antenna with a coil about 3/4 of the way up. I don't recall the brand, but it was about the same cost as the firestik. The tech recommended the metal antenna over the firestick due to increased sensitivity. I don't know much about radio wave propagation, so I took him at his word. I mounted it high on the spare tire holder, but I might move it because you have to open the tailgate all the way to open the rear glass. From what I remember, you should get as much of the antenna as you can above the metal body of the jeep. The reason I bought the uniden cb was because it has the ability to integrate with a wireless mic and it was on sale. My wife liked it because you can change the color of the leds! I brought in after I mounted the antenna and they tuned it for me. It looked like a pretty straight forward process as long as you have the SW meter. Altogether it was just a tad over $200.

Hangemhigh1

hey Canvas JK do you have the name of that mount above the windshield? I wanted to mount my c.b. without drilling holes in my new jeep. I put mine between the center console and the passenger seat but, thats kind of cheesy. I'm looking for a better solution. thx

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would be willing to bet its the strike force mount, dont remeber seeing any other companies make one for that spot yet.

robertgreen79

I got rid of my stock radio. Grabbed a double din mount, single din head unit, and a Cobra 18 WX ST II. Took a bit of trimming on the double din bracket, but I think the final product came out pretty nice, and out of the way.

null_zps8ebc061d.jpg

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

hey Canvas JK do you have the name of that mount above the windshield? I wanted to mount my c.b. without drilling holes in my new jeep. I put mine between the center console and the passenger seat but, thats kind of cheesy. I'm looking for a better solution. thx

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Interior...aspx?t_c=9&t_s=500&t_pt=9611&t_pn=VCC710XX958

That's the mount I use. I painted it flat black and added some padding where it rest against the windshield trim. Cantilevers off the center footmans loop and doesn't budge at all.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1389720628.297655.jpg

TrebleRebel

I found a CB mount that goes above the rear view mirror and no drilling was reqired. It is a little steep in price $40 plus but it is nice to have the CB there.

X2 on the Firestick and Teraflex antenna mount.

R/
Will

what is this cb mount you speak of!?!?! and can you post pics?, thanks

Top Bottom