PSC extreme ram assist

JK12

Is the steering box that comes with the complete kit stronger than the stock steering box? And is it a bad idea to go with sending in the stock steering box and having it made into the ram assist box? Is there any cons to it?

David1tontj

The way I understand it, the ram takes most of the stress off the box, so even if it is a stronger box, I don't think it needs to be stronger once it has a ram.. I am looking into hydro assist right now And I've heard that it pretty much takes all the stress off the box... I guess you can turn with your pinky finger! 😯

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

JK12

The way I understand it, the ram takes most of the stress off the box, so even if it is a stronger box, I don't think it needs to be stronger once it has a ram.. I am looking into hydro assist right now And I've heard that it pretty much takes all the stress off the box... I guess you can turn with your pinky finger! 😯

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Yeah I thought that it would take the stress off of box but I was wondering it it would solve my steering play in the box also. I can't really seem to find info on what exactly happens when they redo the box

David1tontj

Yeah I thought that it would take the stress off of box but I was wondering it it would solve my steering play in the box also. I can't really seem to find info on what exactly happens when they redo the box

I would think that a rebuilt box would not have any play in it... Maybe a phone call to PSC before you pull the trigger on it?? I was looking into the "redneck ram" and it seems like they have good customer service..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is the steering box that comes with the complete kit stronger than the stock steering box? And is it a bad idea to go with sending in the stock steering box and having it made into the ram assist box? Is there any cons to it?

It depends. The steering box that came on the 2007-09 were made by Delphi and are stronger than what have been coming on JK's since. If this is what you have, sending back your pump is a great way to go. If not, getting one with the kit would be what I would recommend you do.

JK12

It depends. The steering box that came on the 2007-09 were made by Delphi and are stronger than what have been coming on JK's since. If this is what you have, sending back your pump is a great way to go. If not, getting one with the kit would be what I would recommend you do.

Does getting it rebuilt replace most the internals and the sector shaft?
I do have an 09 but will have to check if it has the Delphi box. Also will it interfere with the track bar relocation bracket up front?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does getting it rebuilt replace most the internals and the sector shaft?

I can't say for sure but, in addition to having your box adapted and ported, it is my understanding that it rebuilt. Every box that I've gotten back looked like new.

I do have an 09 but will have to check if it has the Delphi box. Also will it interfere with the track bar relocation bracket up front?

If you do have a Delphi box, it will be stated on the side of it. Very easy to see.

Rottenbelly

I sent my box in and had it rebuilt and ported when I did my hydro assist. It was getting weak turning right while sitting still anyways. So that fixed that problem.
I did the West Texas off-road redneck ram instead of PSC. I put in a new stock pump in the process and it has worked great so far. Love being able to turn while fully locked.

David1tontj

I sent my box in and had it rebuilt and ported when I did my hydro assist. It was getting weak turning right while sitting still anyways. So that fixed that problem.
I did the West Texas off-road redneck ram instead of PSC. I put in a new stock pump in the process and it has worked great so far. Love being able to turn while fully locked.

That's exactly what I was looking at... What was the turnaround time on your box? I don't really want my rig sitting for weeks without steering

Rottenbelly

That's exactly what I was looking at... What was the turnaround time on your box? I don't really want my rig sitting for weeks without steering

When I sent mine to WTOR it was right about a week. Fixing to send in my extra one and have it done for a backup.

Packing tips. Pull the box, drain the fluid out of it real good. Wrap it in a trash bag, get a box it will fit in and about 3-4 cans of that expanding foam and spray it in box around it. Makes for good shipping!

David1tontj

When I sent mine to WTOR it was right about a week. Fixing to send in my extra one and have it done for a backup.

Packing tips. Pull the box, drain the fluid out of it real good. Wrap it in a trash bag, get a box it will fit in and about 3-4 cans of that expanding foam and spray it in box around it. Makes for good shipping!

Thanks for the great shipping idea!

JK12

This doesn't have to do with the system as a whole but can I use the PSC high volume power steering pump with the stock steering gear? Without any mods to the box? What's the difference between hydro boost and non hydro boost versions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This doesn't have to do with the system as a whole but can I use the PSC high volume power steering pump with the stock steering gear? Without any mods to the box?

Assuming you have hoses with the right fittings, yeah, I suppose you could but, it won't make much of a difference if any in your steering.

JK12

Assuming you have hoses with the right fittings, yeah, I suppose you could but, it won't make much of a difference if any in your steering.

I know it won't make a difference. I was just curious because my power steering pump is going out and I don't quite have the money to do the ram assist. And then I would upgrade when the funds come around. I know the pump comes in a kit and has the res and hoses is that all I would need? I believe I read it uses the same high pressures line but come with new low pressure lines

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it won't make a difference. I was just curious because my power steering pump is going out and I don't quite have the money to do the ram assist. And then I would upgrade when the funds come around. I know the pump comes in a kit and has the res and hoses is that all I would need? I believe I read it uses the same high pressures line but come with new low pressure lines

I see where you're coming from. Unfortunately, if you were to get a new pump, I would recommend that you get one with the larger low pressure port, this would be the gravity feed that comes from the reservoir. Maybe if you installed both the pump and new reservoir and then addressed the gear and ram later, you might be able to do that. You will have to do the plumbing again though as there would be a ram in the mix later.

JK12

I see where you're coming from. Unfortunately, if you were to get a new pump, I would recommend that you get one with the larger low pressure port, this would be the gravity feed that comes from the reservoir. Maybe if you installed both the pump and new reservoir and then addressed the gear and ram later, you might be able to do that. You will have to do the plumbing again though as there would be a ram in the mix later.

So out of the two kits which would it be?

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor.../07-10-jeep-jk-high-volume-pump-kit-8036.html

Or this one
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor.../07-10-jeep-jk-high-volume-pump-kit-8037.html

And what's the difference with the hydroboost?

Top Bottom