Rear axle temp

JandSJK

trying to find out how warm my rear diff should be getting. I installed a new rear diff cover this weekend and got under the jeep to check for leaks after my 50 mile commute. I noticed that the rear diff was pretty warm. I did remember to put fliud of the correct type and amount in. It was not so hot that i couldnt hold my hand on but still pretty warm. Anyone know if thats normal or something i should be concerned about?

GCM 2

Rear differentials do get hot, if you look at newer 3/4 & 1 ton trucks, even they come from the factory now with a finned rear diff cover for heat dissipation. Race cars have external coolers plumbed to onto them too. If you are certain you put the correct type and amount of fluid, you have nothing to worry about, our diffs get pretty damn warm. Typically when any type of gear setup goes wrong or there's not enough fluid in the carrier, you will know by the obvious increase in noise coming from back there.....trust me, it's obvious and will get your attention. :thumb:

JandSJK

Thanks for the input. I looked over the gears when i pulled the old cover and the hardly show any wear. I had them installed about 15k ago. There were no metal shaving to speak of when i drained the fluid. i just wasnt sure how warm was normal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
as GCM 2 said, heat is normal on a rear diff especially if you're running a higher ratio. the only time you need to be concerned with it is right after having new gears installed. you don't want them to get too hot during the break in period.

Slightly stoopid

Ive actually seen it boil the oil and then it's over ....total destruction seize then snap its nasty ........when u get that much heat in there the outer oil seals generally fail letting what ever gear oil you have left spit out onto the tires just making the situation worse but u would now that kind of heat u can't hold your hand on cover it that hot ....

Attachments

• image-1183844667.jpg
    image-1183844667.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom