Opinions on AEV's DualSport XT 2.5"

PJScullyJr

I'm trying to put my shopping list together for my JK

Opinions on AEV's DualSport XT Suspension 2.5" lift?

My jeep is my daily driver and plan run 33" with it.

I know that opinions run the whole gambit here when it comes to suspension systems (opening a can of worms....) :doh:

but any info would be helpful :D

Thanks

UpsideUp

Aev

Hey PJ. I installed an AEV 4.5 on my JK about 3 months ago and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't taken it out to a harder trail yet...just some simple off road stuff and it functioned great. No squeeks or anything.
But I will tell you this...it is missing some of the finer details that you would get if you are planning on building a "crawler". As most stated when I asked this question...you could get some better "crawler" lifts with adjustable control arms for cheaper. And some on here stated that by using brackets to get your control arms in the correct place leaves one more thing that could bend or break under extreme loading.
According to the research I did AEV is an "expedition" type lift. (A term miss used by companies that to my best guess means expensive!). But what it ultimately means that for sand/snow/moderate trail driving its good. If you are thinking of extreme off roading than other companies lifts might be better suited for you.
I will tell you that this was my first lift install and it took me 14 hours to complete with a friend who owns impact tools and has experience. So I would say that its on the difficult/more difficult project level depending on your skills. Also...if you have a 12 or newer...sorry I don't remember if you posted it or not...you will need a front drive shaft. Don't listen to AEV when they say you don't. Eddie aka Wayalife has the knowledge and experience to tell you that you will absolutely need one if you plan on doing any articulation. Plus some adjustable control arms wouldn't be a bad investment either.
As I'm not a pro...I hope my info helps. I'm sure you will get more advice from others who have way more experience with such things than I do. Cheers and happy building!!

PJScullyJr

Thanks for the input, every bit helps, mine is a 2010 with the six speed.

Sent from my Z10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I think you would be absolutely wasting your money by spending nearly $1000 on a lift to run 33" tires. If that's all you want to run, I would strongly suggest just trimming your fenders or going with a very small leveling kit. You just don't need anywhere near 2.5 of lift to clear 33's. Plus, there is a very good chance that you will end up wanting to move to 35's somewhere down the road. Don't waste your money now on things you don't need. Get wheels with proper backspacing to run the tire you want and then spend just a little bit of money to level your Jeep out to avoid rubbing at flex. Just my :twocents:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Look into Rancho 2" sport with the 9000 shocks for around 400 bucks to run 33" tires. Save 600 bucks for other mods.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Look into Rancho 2" sport with the 9000 shocks for around 400 bucks to run 33" tires. Save 600 bucks for other mods.

I don't disagree with this recommendation at all, especially if you are dead set on replacing some of your suspension. Though I still say you can avoid even spending the $400 if you just trim the fenders or get a small leveling kit.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I don't disagree with this recommendation at all, especially if you are dead set on replacing some of your suspension. Though I still say you can avoid even spending the $400 if you just trim the fenders or get a small leveling kit.

It's basically equal to the evo leveling kit, but they throw in shocks for a killer deal.

Jkjamesdawson

A lift isn't just about tire clearance. You still gain valuable clearance in other areas as well as increasing approach, departure and break over angles.

I have the AEV 3.5" and is has done everything I have asked of it including the Rubicon Trail; not to mention the 3000km round trip to get there and back.

Some people think they cost to much for what you get but at the time of my purchase they offered more detail and insight into their products than any other manufacturer I could find. They had a reason and an explanation for doing everything that they did. That piece of mind was worth something to me because I'm not an engineer.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
A lift isn't just about tire clearance. You still gain valuable clearance in other areas as well as increasing approach, departure and break over angles.

I have the AEV 3.5" and is has done everything I have asked of it including the Rubicon Trail; not to mention the 3000km round trip to get there and back.

Some people think they cost to much for what you get but at the time of my purchase they offered more detail and insight into their products than any other manufacturer I could find. They had a reason and an explanation for doing everything that they did. That piece of mind was worth something to me because I'm not an engineer.

AEV is great at selling kits and making people believe in their "magic", no question about it. Marketing is an art, and AEV is a master.

Real, usable clearance is only gained by running bigger tires. The OP wants to put 33's on a two-door. At best, he gains 1/2" of axle/differential clearance over a bone stock Rubicon. He has a 2-door and wants 33's so I doubt approach, departure and break over are that big of a deal to him. Even if they were, he'd get more usefulness from spending $1k on some real bumpers or a winch than he would from spending $1k on 2.5" of lift to run 33's.

Benny

Is it a good lift? I'd say yes. I am running it right now on my 13' Only reason I'm running it is because I got a smokin' deal on it. more than 1/2 off. It was a hand me down lift. I currently still have the stock 32's until they wear out and then I'm planning on 35's. For what you get, I feel it's nowhere near being worth the $1000. Does my jeep handle better? Yes, day and night over stock. For my offroad style it is more than adequete. If 33's are all you want to run save yourself some cash and get a leveling kit ($159 for the teraflex spacer kit.) But in the end, it is a good lift and performs as advertised.

Last edited:

kyle521

I run 33s on my 2.5 inch lift. Its a lot smoother through the trails, I always run a trail that is close to me and I dont scrape on it anymore. I have had a situation where I was feeling a little tippy and felt like I was going to roll. In the end, Im glad I went with the 2.5 over a leveling kit as I have much more belly clearance. Btw i got the rock krawler 2.5 not aev so I cant speak on AEVs lift kits.
IMG_2434-2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 145

PJScullyJr

First off thanks for all the input guys

Lots of information and opinions to digest..

I do know I want at least a 2.5" lift because over time I know I will do other mods and the lift will provide a good foundation to work from.

I will just do some more reading of old postings on what kit will fit my needs best.

Sent from my Z10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ljvsnyder

Not I hijack but with a RK stock mod do you need the exhaust spacer on 2012+ models?

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

steve_r2

PJ,
Your going to get lovers and haters of the A.E.V whichever forums you read.
I did a LOT of reading and asking questions and being a general pain till I decided what I wanted out of my rig and how it was going to be used.
I went with the A.E.V 2.5" with the correction brackets and SumoSprings bumpstops. Like you mine is a daily driver and the type of wheeling I do is in sand (funny that as I live in Dubai !!). My rig is not for rock crawling and therefore doesn't necessitate the kind of flex that most people require or have here. As I do trips that are 2-4 days long I find this ideal for me. I have 33's winch, bumpers etc on a 4 dr.
Its what you feel most happy with and what you want to do with your Jeep.
Opinions are like assholes.....everyone's got one !!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So you lifted your Jeep to get more clearance and then added brackets that decrease clearance (not to mention fold sideways under heavy flexing). To do all of that, you spent more than $1k...and that was all done to gain a 1" tire increase over a stock Rubicon. That makes total sense.

Yep, opinions are like assholes but in my opinion, the above course of action is a waste of money. Run 33's with no lift. Save your money for other far more useful modifications. If you truly start to modify and wheel your Jeep with any frequency, you won't be happy with 33's for very long. At that point, you will wish you had the $1k back to spend on a real lift.

steve_r2

So you lifted your Jeep to get more clearance and then added brackets that decrease clearance (not to mention fold sideways under heavy flexing). To do all of that, you spent more than $1k...and that was all done to gain a 1" tire increase over a stock Rubicon. That makes total sense.

Yep, opinions are like assholes but in my opinion, the above course of action is a waste of money. Run 33's with no lift. Save your money for other far more useful modifications. If you truly start to modify and wheel your Jeep with any frequency, you won't be happy with 33's for very long. At that point, you will wish you had the $1k back to spend on a real lift.

Sharkey....we will agree to disagree.
I am happy with what I have and with what I do with my Jeep. It has made a difference to ride quality and overall enjoyment compared to how it was. I don't need to go bigger than 33s as here it it is just pure willy waving and totally unnecessary (unless you happen to play in the wadis in which case granted I would have taken a different route) but I did require a small amount of articulation over stock.
At the end of the day its what makes us happy wouldn't you agree ?

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Sharkey....we will agree to disagree.
I am happy with what I have and with what I do with my Jeep. It has made a difference to ride quality and overall enjoyment compared to how it was. I don't need to go bigger than 33s as here it it is just pure willy waving and totally unnecessary (unless you happen to play in the wadis in which case granted I would have taken a different route) but I did require a small amount of articulation over stock.
At the end of the day its what makes us happy wouldn't you agree ?

I absolutely agree (that all that matters is that you are happy with what you have), and it's not that I necessarily have a problem with AEV. My real point is that I think spending that kind of coin to lift a 2 door to run 33's is a waste of money. I think the OP would be better off spending $150 for a little extra room for a while.

Last edited:

steve_r2

I absolutely agree (that all that matters is that you are happy with what you have), and it's not that I necessarily have a problem with AEV. My real point is that I think spending that kind of coin to lift a 2 door to run 33's is a waste of money. I think the OP would be better off spending $150 for a little extra room for a while.
...and I agree with that lol
So that's the agreeing out of the way ;) :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to put my shopping list together for my JK

Opinions on AEV's DualSport XT Suspension 2.5" lift?

My jeep is my daily driver and plan run 33" with it.

I know that opinions run the whole gambit here when it comes to suspension systems (opening a can of worms....) :doh:

but any info would be helpful :D

Thanks

Of all the lift kits that AEV sells, this is the only one that is priced fairly for what all you actually get. Having said that, I'd have to agree with others on here and say that it's a LOT of money for what you're hoping to do. As mentioned, there are certainly much better and more cost effective ways to get you running on 33's. Of course, if you have money to burn, there's nothing wrong with this kit.

Hey PJ. I installed an AEV 4.5 on my JK about 3 months ago and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't taken it out to a harder trail yet...just some simple off road stuff and it functioned great. No squeeks or anything.

But I will tell you this...it is missing some of the finer details that you would get if you are planning on building a "crawler". As most stated when I asked this question...you could get some better "crawler" lifts with adjustable control arms for cheaper. And some on here stated that by using brackets to get your control arms in the correct place leaves one more thing that could bend or break under extreme loading.
According to the research I did AEV is an "expedition" type lift. (A term miss used by companies that to my best guess means expensive!). But what it ultimately means that for sand/snow/moderate trail driving its good. If you are thinking of extreme off roading than other companies lifts might be better suited for you.
I will tell you that this was my first lift install and it took me 14 hours to complete with a friend who owns impact tools and has experience. So I would say that its on the difficult/more difficult project level depending on your skills. Also...if you have a 12 or newer...sorry I don't remember if you posted it or not...you will need a front drive shaft. Don't listen to AEV when they say you don't. Eddie aka Wayalife has the knowledge and experience to tell you that you will absolutely need one if you plan on doing any articulation. Plus some adjustable control arms wouldn't be a bad investment either.
As I'm not a pro...I hope my info helps. I'm sure you will get more advice from others who have way more experience with such things than I do. Cheers and happy building!!

Maybe you missed it but, the OP was asking about the 2.5" kit, not the 3.5" kit you've chosen to buy.

To the OP, a lot of what he's stated in his post is irrelevant for your needs.

If it were me, this one of several options I would consider as well. Certainly, you get a lot more bang for your buck and, in spite of what some will try and suggest, it's really hard to do wrong at just 2" - 2.5" of lift.

But, all that valuable clearance you just paid good money for gets lost with huge control arm drop brackets you've installed with your 3.5" kit. Certainly, it doesn't help your break over angles being that they are located right at a point where rocks love to hit. :idontknow:

Funny how the OP asked about the AEV 2.5" kit and yet, you felt the need to come on here to talk about their 3.5" kit which is nothing like the prior. As far as the Rubicon trail goes, are we supposed to be impressed? Don't get me wrong but I've personally seen bone stock JK's run it.

Some people think they cost to much for what you get...

Considering the fact that Rancho makes a near identical kit to the AEV 3.5" kit and for a fraction of the cost, yeah, I'd have to say that it does cost too much for what little you really get - springs and a bunch of drop brackets. Even if you added the cost of a drag link flip kit like AEV offers, you're still way ahead with the Rancho kit.

...but at the time of my purchase they offered more detail and insight into their products than any other manufacturer I could find. They had a reason and an explanation for doing everything that they did. That piece of mind was worth something to me because I'm not an engineer.

I know it's hard to believe but, all their wonderful marketing and sales pitches apply to any other lift that comes with the same components.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not I hijack but with a RK stock mod do you need the exhaust spacer on 2012+ models?

On a 2012, your front drive shaft will get damaged on the exhaust cross over IF you are running shocks that are too long. This includes any 2.5" kit that comes with shocks intended to offer a greater amount of droop.

PJ,
Your going to get lovers and haters of the A.E.V whichever forums you read.

Please, offering sound advice regarding costs, what you get with your money and what you may or may not actually need are far from what I would call "hate". If you're happy with what you chose to buy, more power to you. It's your money and you should spend it however you see fit.

Top Bottom