Receiver winch

CommandoOkie

besides the look of having a square cutout in the bumper, any cons to using a receiver mounted winch that can be used in front or back of jeep?

Couple pros:

dont have to carry winch everywhere or can keep inside jeep

can use front and back

could possible use on multiple vehicles if others have a receiver bumper

cons:

looks a little stupid to me

would have to have in cab of jeep (yes both pro and con)

damn things are heave to lug around if needed

Millerj87

Do you have one? If so and it works for you then that's what you run( my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

CommandoOkie

I don't have one and it's lower down the list since I don't get to wheel as much as I would like. 3 weekend trips a year or so.

But I am about to go ahead and buy the bumpers, front first. And was thinking about getting a really small front with a receiver hitch spot.

Millerj87

I don't have one and it's lower down the list since I don't get to wheel as much as I would like. 3 weekend trips a year or so.

But I am about to go ahead and buy the bumpers, front first. And was thinking about getting a really small front with a receiver hitch spot.

Most good aftermarket bumpers are set up for winches some even come with fairleads built in

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
besides the look of having a square cutout in the bumper, any cons to using a receiver mounted winch that can be used in front or back of jeep?

Couple pros:

dont have to carry winch everywhere or can keep inside jeep

can use front and back

could possible use on multiple vehicles if others have a receiver bumper

cons:

looks a little stupid to me

would have to have in cab of jeep (yes both pro and con)

damn things are heave to lug around if needed

I don't see how carrying the winch everyday on a regular bumper is a con.

Also 3 snatch blocks will allow you to winch yourself backwards.

JKFlyer

OverlanderJK;23818 Also 3 snatch blocks will allow you to winch yourself backwards.[/QUOTE said:
OK so I'm thinking this one through and 3 snatch blocks means u WD tie line to rear bumper and essentially pull ur jeep apart if winch is in ftont. WD love to see that

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

CommandoOkie

Most good aftermarket bumpers are set up for winches some even come with fairleads built in

Thanks. I've had a bumper with winch and truth was I didn't use it but about 4 times a year. It did look good at first then started rusting. This is not a money thing.

CommandoOkie

I don't see how carrying the winch everyday on a regular bumper is a con.

Also 3 snatch blocks will allow you to winch yourself backwards.

I guess con is a harsh word. More meant for me it is extra weight and exposure to elements 50 weeks out if year when not using. Sure y'all get out more than me to actually use yours more often. So the con for me is weight saving and possibly a longer last winch by keeping it in the garage when not in trips.

And there is no concern about winching backwards, I just know I would have a trailer hitch integrated into the bumper so it another plus to be able to mount both ways.

Army_Vet

Banned

I would add... running the heavy duty cables to the rear of the jeep as a con. Its not that big of a deal; just wanted you to keep it in mind.

Also IMHO the receiver hole in the front bumper wouldn't be that bad looking. Its a decent idea; no real down side, except the one time you may need it and its sitting in your garage.

Mikes Offroad

We had a guy up here that had a receiver type multi mount winch, on an extreme side pull the rear receiver mount failed (Jeep XJ). If you think about it the rear receiver is only rated for what 3500lbs?

David1tontj

I've always thought that it would be cool, bit my main problem with it is that you don't always know when you are going to need your winch, and I personally like to be ready any time. There have been several times that I have not been wheeling, and come across people who had either gone off the road unintentionally, or tried stupid stuff and got stuck.. Had my winch nene sitting at home I would've had to pass them by, but because I'm always ready, I was able to help each of them.

My $0.02

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

CommandoOkie

That's kind of where I was going originally but got some other good points.

I wonder how strong the receiver bumpers are rated for? Not the hitch style but the ones build into the bumper. Guess it depends on how well they welded the tube in?

Top Bottom