Unsure what gears I have

CharlieK

In November of 13, I traded my 08 JKU in for a 12 JKU. The 12 was loaded out, already had 3.5 X Factor Rock Krawler , 35's, Linex interior and Diabolo Sport tuner, cold air intake and many more options. I planned on adding gears and lockers. I did a little research and found several gear/tire size at 70 mph charts. My rpms at 70 mph were just shy of 2500, but over 2400 for sure. This charts indicate that around 2280 rpm my gears would be 4.11 and 2540 rpm my gears would be 4.56. Short of pulling them apart is there any other way to tell what my gears are??

Thanks in advance.

CharlieK

Ok got it figured out I have 3.56 gears, u have 23,000 miles on jeep unsure when the gears where installed. Local shop has told me to add lockers I need to replace the gears, because they may been worn. Does this make sense or os this just an up sale?

jeffd

Ok got it figured out I have 3.56 gears, u have 23,000 miles on jeep unsure when the gears where installed. Local shop has told me to add lockers I need to replace the gears, because they may been worn. Does this make sense or os this just an up sale?

strange to put 3.56's (3.55's) probably a typo and mean 4.56 which would make sense with your mph/rpms.

14Sport

Maybe 3.73s. Did you count the drive shaft rotations?

BigBoy

If you have 4:56 gears already, the only reason they would need to be replaced with adding a locker is if they were worn. They will need to be re-set, but not replaced. I would be questioning the shop after being giving that advise.

14Sport

^^ +1 Less than 23k on gears shouldn't need replacing unless they were road hard and put away wet. Of course, they could always check the gears when putting in the lockers. But if they are already saying you should replace, I think they wouldn't tell you if they were still good.

CharlieK

That's kinda what I thought. I'm not sure they can be trusted at this point. I think your right no matter the state the gears are in, they would suggest new ones. A few members on here suggested another shop pretty close to me, I'll give them a call. Thank you very much for the advice and guidance

Top Bottom