Rear End Whine

SaddleTramp

Rear End Whine Noise Help Please

Anybody want to play internet diagnostics...?

While driving home tonight from California I started to get a loud rear end whine anytime the drivetrain is under load at all speeds above 25-30mph. Noise is not present below 20mph and stops when I let off the accelerator but starts immediately when the gas is applied and worse going up hill, no noise when in neutral at the same engine revs/speed. No leaks, nothing smells burnt, etc. Rear end is a stock 2014 Rubicon D44 with less than 2900 total miles on the vehicle, gears were changed to 5.13's about 2000 miles ago.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, here's a quick video:

Last edited:

hydrohut

I'm a mechanic and listening to your video it does sound like something is going wrong in your diff.
Are you 100 percent sure its coming from the rear?
Auto or manual?

hydrohut

I would start by checking the diff oil for contamination and/or maybe get whoever re-geard it to have a listen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say for sure from the sound clip but, being that you just got new gears and that you only hear it on acceleration, I'd have to say that it wasn't setup right. I would take it back to your shop and have them take care of it and as soon as possible.

hydrohut

While driving home tonight from California I started to get a loud rear end whine anytime the drivetrain is under load at all speeds above 25-30mph. Noise is not present below 20mph and stops when I let off the accelerator but starts immediately when the gas is applied and worse going up hill, no noise when in neutral at the same engine revs/speed. No leaks, nothing smells burnt, etc. Rear end is a stock 2014 Rubicon D44 with less than 2900 total miles on the vehicle, gears were changed to 5.13's about 2000 miles ago.

Hey how did you get on with this?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Mine was making the same sound. Turns out both my pinion bearings went. Just had them replaced yesterday and now it sounds good as new

Sent from my iPhone

beans

You have bad Pinion Bearings

Example of the sound....

Top Bottom