Gear oil

rescue7

Hello everyone,

I want to change my transmission fluid. I have an 09 Rubicon Unlimited with 6SPD manual. How does everyone feel about the Royal Purple Maxx Gear? Is there anything different I should consider? I used their gear oil on my recent differential service. My brother works for Chrysler, so I get his discount on having them do the work using the Mopar oil, and what not. However, I do not know much about their gear oils.

Anyhow, if you have any input it would be appreciated. Thanks for looking, and for your time,

Christopher :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Manual transmission oil is NOT gear oil. I personally would recommend that you stick with Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid. If you get anything other than that, you need to make sure that it is MS-9224 compliant.

rescue7

Manual transmission oil is NOT gear oil. I personally would recommend that you stick with Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid. If you get anything other than that, you need to make sure that it is MS-9224 compliant.

Thanks Eddie!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't the 6 speed trans and the transfer case use the same fluid?

NO!! Your transfer case uses ATF+3 or better. An NSG-370 6-speed manual transmission uses Mopar MS-9224 Manual Transmission Fluid. There is a difference.

JKbrick

NO!! Your transfer case uses ATF+3 or better. An NSG-370 6-speed manual transmission uses Mopar MS-9224 Manual Transmission Fluid. There is a difference.

Thanks, I was thinking about looking into changing them, only 10k miles but original 09 fluid

Top Bottom