Dana 44 rear

Texasjeep01

So my axles are all stock with stock gearing (3.07) and I'm running on 33's. Is it ok to put a Dana 44 in the rear with 4.11 gearing and keep the front stock? Or do I have to upgrade the front axle and regear it too? Thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
the front will need to be at least regeared to the same ratio as the new rear that you would install

pvanweelden

you can pull the front driveshaft or don't put the transfer case in 4 hi or 4lo, until you regear the front axle to match the rear.

pvanweelden

Wait, what? Keep the d35? I think you meant keep the front d30, which, yes, you can keep it, but it will need regeared before you can use 4 wheel drive again

if you plan on using 4 wheel drive ever then you need the front dif and the rear dif to have the same gear ratio.

d44 is stronger the a d35. d35's are pretty weak because they have a "c" clip design that holds the axle shafts in which breaks a lot when you start putting bigger tires on and lockers. swapping a d44 in for 33's would be well worth it especially if you might go to 35s down the road.

Texasjeep01

I only wheel about once every month so I'm trying to get something that will last and will not break. I think I'm stopping at 33's

^^ What he said ^^ Plan for bigger, it's going to happen sooner or later, it's inevitable. I've been on 33's, 37's and now 40's all in the last year. But you better think long and hard (unlike me) before you make that big leap to 40's as things will get really expensive really quick:thumbup:

We Are Jeep..Resistance Is Futile..

Tag92yj

If you can find a high pinion 30 from a xj that is already regeared to what you plan for the rear, it would stronger than the low pinion that you have.

jeepwayoflife

if you plan on using 4 wheel drive ever then you need the front dif and the rear dif to have the same gear ratio.

d44 is stronger the a d35. d35's are pretty weak because they have a "c" clip design that holds the axle shafts in which breaks a lot when you start putting bigger tires on and lockers. swapping a d44 in for 33's would be well worth it especially if you might go to 35s down the road.

The c-clip is not what makes the axle weak. Ford 8.8 axles use a c-clip and they are as strong or stronger than Dana 44's. The 27 spline axle shafts and small internal parts (carrier, ring and pinion, spider gears) are what make the Dana 35 a weak axle.

4.10 gearing still isn't ideal for 33" tires.

thirst4ale

My '03 TJ came with the 44 in the rear best decision I made when I bought it. When I first got it I said it was perfect out of the box. A few months later I decided to get a lift and 33's So I did, and re-geared to 4:56 just in case I ever wanted 35's. About a year later I got the 35's even though while on 33's I thought how good it looked and how great it was to wheel it. I was pretty sure I wouldn't go to 35's. Now that I'm on 35's I see bigger Jeeps and get jealous, and I want to go bigger. I would love to get 37's but I know I would rather be on 39 or 40" tires. It never ends, when you re-gear go one step bigger because you will eventually get bigger tires.

The c-clip is not what makes the axle weak. Ford 8.8 axles use a c-clip and they are as strong or stronger than Dana 44's. The 27 spline axle shafts and small internal parts (carrier, ring and pinion, spider gears) are what make the Dana 35 a weak axle.

4.10 gearing still isn't ideal for 33" tires.

yes you are correct, poor wording on my part. I was implying the c-clip design is not the best in a weaker axle. d35 shafts are only slightly bigger in diameter then whats in a s

Top Bottom