CB Radio?

PilotJK

I'm in the market for a small and efficient CB radio, yet inexpensive under $100. I was looking at the Uniden Pro 510. Any suggestions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It'll work and get the job done. Of course, there are much better CB's you can get for just a little over $100 but, they are bigger and harder to find a place to mount.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
what eddie said. there are some better ones that are just over $100 that will be tougher to mount due to size but will work better. another middle ground option (if you like to call if that) is the cobra 75. its small and does a great job all for around $100.

here is a pic of it

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375305023.144296.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375305023.144296.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 429

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i really need to get cb radios for my jeeps. kinda sucks not having them. when my wife follows me on a trail i always have to stop and get out to talk.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
How are you unlimited peeps running your coax? My local CB shop told me not to exceed the 18' of the cable length (no extensions) and I can't seem to route it cleanly past the rear of the front seats. Any tricks? (tailgate mounted antennas that is.)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How are you unlimited peeps running your coax? My local CB shop told me not to exceed the 18' of the cable length (no extensions) and I can't seem to route it cleanly past the rear of the front seats. Any tricks? (tailgate mounted antennas that is.)

i dont have a jku BUT i have enough coax left sitting in my tailgate that i think i maybe able to help. i ran mine under the plastic floor trim and just followed all off the wires to the tailgate. i prob have 4ft or so of coax left just chillin in my tailagte door lol

jeeeep

Hooked

I think I have about 20' started with 25' - I mounted my CB on the dash above the radio (for now) I have coax running through the dash behind the glove box then down to the floor and along the floor under the carpet with the other wiring all the way to the back, I do have it going on top of the wheel well and then into the looping with all the other cables into the back door, out the plug and mounted...I do have enough slack to move my radio to the future front cage and haven't had any issues.
I did tune it in a very open area and have great transmission and reception - cobra 29, 4' firestick. I did not use the all in one coax end, my neighbor showed me how to lay the outer shield back soldered to ring connector for ground and works great

Cencal

i really need to get cb radios for my jeeps. kinda sucks not having them. when my wife follows me on a trail i always have to stop and get out to talk.

My girl and I just use a set of 2 ways.

I think I paid $20 at Wally World .

ArmyofMike

I installed a Firestik Firefly 3' on spare mount and a Uniden cheap CB. I wasn't 100% where to mount it, so I fed wires under drivers seat and sandwiched the cb radio between seat and center console. It actually fits quite snug, can be heard loud and clear (10-4 Good buddy!) and is easy to see adjustments/display. In all honesty, I'll probably just keep it there...I'd take a pic, buttttt I'm in crappy SF and my wife is driving the Jeep all week. Haha!

jeffj

Caught the Bug
It'll work and get the job done. Of course, there are much better CB's you can get for just a little over $100 but, they are bigger and harder to find a place to mount.

Can you guys give some ideas on CB's over 100 that you guys recommend. I just got my roll cage installed so I have somewhere to mount it. I think I read you can use the KC light mount to mount it to the roll cage.

tobias lopez

I can post some pics of how I ran mine a little later. But I just ran it under the floor carpet (I'm only going to the center console thou so I have about 1 to 2 ft left.) Mine was a 18" also and tail gate mounted. I'm running the cobra 75.

18' fill make it all the way to the rear view mirror from the tailgate via the roll cage with a foot or so to spare.

Tigrcky

Can you guys give some ideas on CB's over 100 that you guys recommend. I just got my roll cage installed so I have somewhere to mount it. I think I read you can use the KC light mount to mount it to the roll cage.

Like Overlander said cobra 29s, also the uniden 880, and 980 Bearcats are good and if you really wanna invest go with galaxy, stryker, or mirage

TLW1022

Cheap, Small & Out of the way
PA Speaker mounted behind front bumper

Attachments

• CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 227

JRied

Cheap $40 on Amazon and out of the way enough. The cord reaches me while I drive perfectly and is easily accessible. Uniden PRO520XL ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425086662.682630.jpg

Top Bottom