$3000 Budget

FireWire79

As much as I wish I could do bolt-on coilovers, 37s, and custom bumpers, rock sliders, and all that jazz, I know it's not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep, and I love to wheel, but all things considered, there is only so much money I am willing to spend to wheel. So I decided to hit the wayalife members up for their ideas on a budget friendly build, you know, for the common working class man without a $10,000 budget. So I came up with a number that sounds pretty reasonable to me, $3000, total, over the life of the Jeep, on trying to make it as capable as possible.

So let's start off by defining the goals of the build, as they are really easy to get. 35s, winch, and a 2-3" lift (to accomodate the 35s), and what they are going to go on. I just got my '07 JKR with an automatic transmission and 85,000 miles on it, and it's bone stock, for now.

Here's what I am considering:

• [*]Suspension: Rancho Sport 2" kit with 9000XLs ($400)
    [*]Which: 8,000 LBS with synthetic line ($500)
    [*]Spacers: SpiderTrax (So I can keep the stock wheels and fit 35's) ($200)
    [*]Flash: BullyDog, Flashpaq, Diablo (to be able to get a better tune) ($300 ballpark again)
    [*]Tires: 35s (to many choices to consider) ($1000, ball park estimate for 5)​

Puts me a hair under budget, at $ 2400, not to bad.:yup: Gives me a little wiggle room for a front bumper. :D

Is there anything that I am not considering?
Anything that I should be considering (armor, skids, sliders) in place of what I have laid out?
Anthing that you would do different?
Anything that is so obviously wrong, that I should be perma-banned and be forced to drive a mini-van?:doh:

Chime in with your best budget friendly builds for us poor folk out there who still want to be able to keep up with the big boys. Or just poke holes in my build so I can go back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Rancho Lifts... Does the one you are looking at come with any control arms? (I'm guessing not at that price.) If not, you might want to consider at least adding Front Lowers. This will enable you to bring the caster back in, which will make higher speed driving feel less "flighty". Also, you should save for a front drive-shaft. It may last for years, or it could rip a boot quickly :idontknow: But if you get flexie a bunch it will likely go quicker.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As much as I wish I could do bolt-on coilovers, 37s, and custom bumpers, rock sliders, and all that jazz, I know it's not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep, and I love to wheel, but all things considered, there is only so much money I am willing to spend to wheel. So I decided to hit the wayalife members up for their ideas on a budget friendly build, you know, for the common working class man without a $10,000 budget. So I came up with a number that sounds pretty reasonable to me, $3000, total, over the life of the Jeep, on trying to make it as capable as possible.

So let's start off by defining the goals of the build, as they are really easy to get. 35s, winch, and a 2-3" lift (to accomodate the 35s), and what they are going to go on. I just got my '07 JKR with an automatic transmission and 85,000 miles on it, and it's bone stock, for now.

Here's what I am considering:

• Suspension: Rancho Sport 2" kit with 9000XLs ($400)
  • Which: 8,000 LBS with synthetic line ($500)
  • Spacers: SpiderTrax (So I can keep the stock wheels and fit 35's) ($200)
  • Flash: BullyDog, Flashpaq, Diablo (to be able to get a better tune) ($300 ballpark again)
  • Tires: 35s (to many choices to consider) ($2000, ball park estimate for 5)

Puts me a hair over budget, at $ 3400, not to bad.:yup:

Is there anything that I am not considering?
Anything that I should be considering (armor, skids, sliders) in place of what I have laid out?
Anthing that you would do different?
Anything that is so obviously wrong, that I should be perma-banned and be forced to drive a mini-van?:doh:

Chime in with your best budget friendly builds for us poor folk out there who still want to be able to keep up with the big boys. Or just poke holes in my build so I can go back to the drawing board.

-im not familiar witht he rancho 2" kit but i have only heard good things about it. if you do go with this kit just be aware that you will need to run flat fenders to clear the 35's.
-Winch wise, there are a bunch of good winches with synthetic line for around that price. Warn, Quadratec, some will recommend smittybuilt, etc. just do your research
-yes to spidertrax
-i would get the superchips flashpaq or even the traildash since you have an '08.
-as far as tires. i would look at Nittos or toyos. both are amazing tires. also goodyear duratacs are a great all season tire. all of these tires for a set of 5 should put you around $1700.

as far as extras go, since you have a Rubi the stock sliders will work well. if you want something more perminant then look at the EVO sliders or LOD sliders as both are solid.

I'm not familiar with the Rancho Lifts... Does the one you are looking at come with any control arms? (I'm guessing not at that price.) If not, you might want to consider at least adding Front Lowers. This will enable you to bring the caster back in, which will make higher speed driving feel less "flighty". Also, you should save for a front drive-shaft. It may last for years, or it could rip a boot quickly :idontknow: But if you get flexie a bunch it will likely go quicker.

with that little lift he shouldnt need new driveshaft at all. i would agree that maybe some front lower arms would be good to have but not necessary.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
looks good. you might just have to trim pinch seams and fenders. some skids are good choices. evap and oil pan.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
just to add, if you look on rancho's facebook page, they have a photo album of the 2" kit on rigs.

Speeddmn

Also with the 3.8 and 35's, the 4.10 gears in the rubi are still not enough. To save money and get more bang for buck. I would buy some used tires, new rear bumper to support the extra weight, cut the stock fenders, do the teraflex or whatever you want BB of 2 inches. Then do the gears and relash the computer for tire size. Might be over 3k but if you can get or find deals im sure you can make it happen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

If the lift is a true 2-2.5" of lift, I don't see why control arms are necessary. ... stock carrier works fine for 35's for me. May have to remove or modify the stock rear bumper. if using factory wheels get a spacer and daystar tailgate isolators for the spare. For programmer, I have a trail dash and love it. If u want to go cheap with the front bumper, it's easy to diy stubby and even the vdp caps look nice. Plenty of winch plates on the market so u can retain the stock bumper, or just buy used parts to help stretch your buck farther. 35's on 4.10s is drive able, not fun by any means, but it works. I highly suggest you get a trans cooler, cause it's easy to overheat these 4 speed autos, I had issues running just 33's. Make sure to gusset the axle C 's and put away some coin for eventual ball joint failure. I'm sure I can think of some more stuff once I fully wake up:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkjamesdawson

With a $3000 lifetime budget you don't want to be re-gearing. The 4:10's are not perfect but they are livable. I'd budget more for a winch with synthetic line, even used I think your being pretty optimistic at $500. And throw $250 at an air compressor so you can air down and then air back up. Dollar for dollar I don't think there is a better upgrade than airing down, don't overlook it.

matt1171

Everything sounds reasonable to me except the tires. Where did you get $1000 for 5 35s? That seems way too low.

TheDuff

My best guess is he is intending to purchase them used, which 1k for 5 is the going rate

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If it's $3000 for the life of the jeep what are you going to do when the tires wear out and you need to spend another $1500 on tires?

Christarp

Also with the 3.8 and 35's, the 4.10 gears in the rubi are still not enough. To save money and get more bang for buck. I would buy some used tires, new rear bumper to support the extra weight, cut the stock fenders, do the teraflex or whatever you want BB of 2 inches. Then do the gears and relash the computer for tire size. Might be over 3k but if you can get or find deals im sure you can make it happen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I feel like this is subjective. I've been using 4.10's on my sahara (they were offered as an option in 07 models) and with 35s I think it's just on the edge. I can still cruise on the highway and get okay gas mileage, I can still tow (I tow about a 3000 pound trailer), granted I can only manage around 60 mph while towing, but still. I'd definitely recommend he stick where he's at for now and see if he really dislikes it. If he does he can always save up for some gears in the near future.

diverbryan

I found that 35X12.5X17 cost $1300-$1700. And 35X12.5X15 cost $850-$1100. So it was cheeper for me to by 15" wheels and tires than 17" tires and wheel spacers.

FireWire79

If it's $3000 for the life of the jeep what are you going to do when the tires wear out and you need to spend another $1500 on tires?

Replacement parts not included. All cars need tires, fluids etc. I don't really count that as build costs, just maintenance costs.

And I did edit it, as I realized that my math was a little on the high side. Tires run around $200-250 per, so 2 x 5 = 10 or 2.5 x 5 = 12.50.

Top Bottom