Viking winches

huggysjk

Does anyone have any experience with them? Or have one? Looking at their GS 9, price seems about right. Starting to see a few of them around. Just wondering how they stack up to others out there. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
By the look of them, they are probably the same thing as a Smittybilt, ENGO, T-max or the like. There are a lot of companies private labeling the same Chinese winches. Depending on who you talk to, it'll be the best thing since sliced bread. My experience with these winches is that some will actually work well and some won't. Seems to be more of a QC thing than anything. They are cheap and if it's all you can afford, it may not hurt to try.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
warn vr series are Chinese too.

Yes, they are and you'll have about the same luck with them as you would this winch. Hit and miss. If you want quality you can trust, you need to get a premium WARN winch.

huggysjk

Thanks for the replies and the info. I just sold my 2000 Wrangler TJ with a Warn winch on it. I did some moderate to hard off roading in it. John Bull, Holcomb Creek, other big bear trails, Anza Borrego, Ocotillo etc. I did not have to use my Winch in those areas yet. So wanted to see what other cost alternative winches are out there or availible. Thanks for the insight!

jeffd

Yes, they are and you'll have about the same luck with them as you would this winch. Hit and miss. If you want quality you can trust, you need to get a premium WARN winch.

When Warn first started advertising the VR series they claimed they were assembled in Oregon using imported parts but that ended up being wrong. I was miffed when I got mine and it said on the box made in china. I called and complained and they told me that the VR series had the same warranty and same quality as the USA made ones. that really miffed me as if I knew it was not assembled in Oregon I would have spent an extra $100 or so and either got a USA made winch or saved $100 or more and bought an engo or QT. Oh well live and learn. I will say so far the VR10000 has done fine.

ramy

Should've bought the 10,000lb. Like a man.

Buy a Warn. I had HS9500I for 10 years and never had a problem with it. I purchased an Engo 10,000 a few years ago and on the first pull, it really slowed down by the end of the pull but still worked. Didn't use it for awhile and went to respool the winch and found it wouldn't run. Took it apart and everything inside the motor was rusted/siezed.

Top Bottom