Winching questions

northjeeper

When using the winch to pull out another vehicle I'm assuming it's a good idea to always choke the wheels?

I have an automatic. Is it best to just keep it in park or what's best to minimize the stress on the transmission?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
When using the winch to pull out another vehicle I'm assuming it's a good idea to always choke the wheels?

I have an automatic. Is it best to just keep it in park or what's best to minimize the stress on the transmission?

Depends on the situation. If you have a lump of wood you can throw in front of the tire, by all means, won't hurt. I have seen people winch themselves towards the vehicle they are trying to rescue (snow/ice) and I have seen vehicles pull without choking the wheels. The simple answer is, winches are slow. Winch the person that needs help and if you see your rig doesn't have the footing (is being pulled) try and chock the tires or tie your rig to the rig/tree behind you. Generally its NOT good practice to tug along using the motor to help the winch (if your winch has adequate pulling power and isn't getting the vehicle unstuck, something else may be wrong like it's snagged) but sometimes a little bit can be ok, just be careful. Each situation is different. If you are winching standing still, I personally keep it in park.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Depends on the situation. If you have a lump of wood you can throw in front of the tire, by all means, won't hurt. I have seen people winch themselves towards the vehicle they are trying to rescue (snow/ice) and I have seen vehicles pull without choking the wheels. The simple answer is, winches are slow. Winch the person that needs help and if you see your rig doesn't have the footing (is being pulled) try and chock the tires or tie your rig to the rig/tree behind you. Generally its NOT good practice to tug along using the motor to help the winch (if your winch has adequate pulling power and isn't getting the vehicle unstuck, something else may be wrong like it's snagged) but sometimes a little bit can be ok, just be careful. Each situation is different. If you are winching standing still, I personally keep it in park.

agreed. i usually pull the E-brake as well to help with the pull. also if the person you ar winching out can drive their jeep to help that works as well

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
the last time I had to winch someone, I eneded up sitting in the jeep with the brake on (my handbrake isnt enough to hold....manual here) which is what I normally have to do anyway now that I think about it.

Armydog

Might be an older thread but in case anyone is reading, today my step son had to assist my full size dodge in getting out of a snow bank heading down hill into a ditch.... Long story. He had a warn winch on the front of his 09 JKUR (manual). He stood on the breaks to get the jeep in place, but was able to save my ass with little trouble....

bl17z90

2 weeks ago Nate and Keoni winched a bunch of us and they anchored themselves to another Jeep which seemed to work out well.

pvanweelden

If there's time, and a tree around, you can tie off the winch vehicle from the back to the tree and stretch the strap tight before winching. Otherwise, standing on the brakes with a manual Is a good idea to keep it from creeping forward, just make sure you put a jacket over the winch line to protect the driver.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom