Removing the Rug under the Floor mats on a JK

jorgelrod

Hooked
Has anyone done a write up or know of one for removing the rungs that come below the JK molded floor mats, ever since I got water inside my JK on a flooded street crossing I've been wondering about this but seeing as how the Floor mat tabs that hold them from moving are attached to these I want to look into this before I just go all rug knife crazy on it and start cutting.

Jorge

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's really not that hard. Just start lifting from the edge of the doors and unscrew or release the tabs as needed. You will need to remove your seats to do all this. I personally would pull it and clean it thoroughly while it's off with something like a steam cleaner and then reinstall it. The factory carpet is also a heat shield and without it, you will find the interior of your Jeep, especially under foot to be very hot. Just my 2¢

jorgelrod

Hooked
That makes a lot of sense, I found the material to be quite shitty for a carpet but it makes a ton of sense as a heat shield... I used a steamer to clean it at the time but seeing as how I play a lot in mud and water I was thinking about whether it might be a good idea to take it out, guess not.

Thanks for the info...

Jorge

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i ahve done this in my jeep. i got caught with my pants down a few times and the rain kinda killed me. in the fall i pulled my carpets (left the seats in) and hand scrubbed them clean! i can see myself doing this every fall or rhino line it for the summer and put the carpet in for the winter time.

either way here is a pic of where i cut my carpet so i could slide it out without removing the seats. its so small that you would never know.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027670.418289.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027670.418289.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 439
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027611.429725.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027611.429725.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 434
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027595.830662.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027595.830662.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 436
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027565.741800.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1382027565.741800.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 438

jorgelrod

Hooked
Thanks, the pics help a ton, I plan to take a look at this when I get back home, currently out of the country working...

Jorge

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Interesting, on my 2013 there were slits already cut into the carpet. To remove them, I just gave a pull around the edges and it all started coming out. The carpet was already pre cut to remove without removing the seats. Front foot wells are one piece per side, then the rear foot wells are 1 piece. Nobody else's is like that? Dealership told me it was the way the JK comes with 'easily removable carpet'.

KJ_CJtoJK

Interesting, on my 2013 there were slits already cut into the carpet. To remove them, I just gave a pull around the edges and it all started coming out. The carpet was already pre cut to remove without removing the seats. Front foot wells are one piece per side, then the rear foot wells are 1 piece. Nobody else's is like that? Dealership told me it was the way the JK comes with 'easily removable carpet'.

On my 2012 2-door, I remove the carpet in the summer (with the top off) and re-install it in the winter. I do not need to remove the seats, there are slits already in the carpets around the seat frames (you do need to remove the rear seat). It has been designed to be quickly removed and replaced without having to remove any bolts or screws.

bnatt78

I have a question, I have heard a lot of people doing what I think is called rhino lynning. Would that do anything for heat or cold that comes from the floor? The other thing I heard is some one putting the rubber Matt in, the type you have seen in work trucks. Can some one give me some info if any one has done this on there JK. The only reason I was thinking for mine what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have a question, I have heard a lot of people doing what I think is called rhino lynning. Would that do anything for heat or cold that comes from the floor? The other thing I heard is some one putting the rubber Matt in, the type you have seen in work trucks. Can some one give me some info if any one has done this on there JK. The only reason I was thinking for mine what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've seen a product advertised on TV called Lizard Skin. I have never used it so I can't recommend it, but it may be worth a try. They say it serves as a good temperature insulation and sound deadening material. Doesn't look as rough as rhino lining since it's not technically a bed liner.

DallasJKU

It's really not that hard. Just start lifting from the edge of the doors and unscrew or release the tabs as needed. You will need to remove your seats to do all this. I personally would pull it and clean it thoroughly while it's off with something like a steam cleaner and then reinstall it. The factory carpet is also a heat shield and without it, you will find the interior of your Jeep, especially under foot to be very hot. Just my 2¢

Unless you drive barefoot you won't notice the heat change or at least it didn't. I live in Dallas and maybe its so hot outside that I can't tell. I will ultimately Line X my tub this spring.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you drive barefoot you won't notice the heat change or at least it didn't. I live in Dallas and maybe its so hot outside that I can't tell. I will ultimately Line X my tub this spring.

LOL!! Yeah, Jeep just wanted to jack up the price of their JK and added heat shielding under their carpet for no good reason. If you don't notice the added heat, more power to you. While I do drive with sandals on a regular basis, I just didn't like how the whole cabin of the Jeep heated up with the doors on. Is it so bad that it's unbearable? No. Just noticeable enough that I thought it was worth mentioning. To each their own.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like you, I was giving my opinion on how it doesn't change the interior enough for me to notice. I never wear sandals so I don't notice it.

That's right, you only have one Jeep. Try driving in one that has carpeting and then one without - both with doors and top on. Do it and tell me that you honestly don't notice the difference. You don't just feel it at your feet, you feel it in the entire cabin. Now, for you to say that it doesn't bother you, that's a different story.

DallasJKU

That's right, you only have one Jeep. Try driving in one that has carpeting and then one without - both with doors and top on. Do it and tell that you don't notice the difference. You don't just feel it at your feet, you feel it in the entire cabin. Now, for you to say that it doesn't bother you, that's a different story.

Glad to hear it, I hope you do still keep an eye on it just in case though - for the sake of everyone behind you if no one else. The guy who started the new thread had it installed exactly as you kept on saying it needed to be and it still broke. Just sayin.

I drove the Jeep for awhile with carpet and the day I pulled it out, I didn't feel a noticeable change. Don't you have AC??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I drove the Jeep for awhile with carpet and the day I pulled it out, I didn't feel a noticeable change. Don't you have AC??

LOL!! You'll forgive me but, you wouldn't need to run your AC if it weren't so hot in your Jeep - just sayin :crazyeyes:

DallasJKU

LOL!! You'll forgive me but, you wouldn't need to run your AC if it weren't so hot in your Jeep - just sayin :crazyeyes:

That's bullshit!! I live in Texas. I run my AC in winter sometimes. I don't run it because of no carpet but because it is hotter than hell in Dallas.

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug

I don't know about you guys down south and in SoCal, but here in MO, I have a hard time keeping the inside of my jeep cool in the summer with the A/C on high and the carpet in. The carpet has to be there for insulation, even if it's not much different. I'll be leaving mine in unless I plan on fording a river. Every little bit helps

LoPo

Caught the Bug
The factory carpet is also a heat shield and without it, you will find the interior of your Jeep, especially under foot to be very hot. Just my 2¢

Huh didn't know that. Makes me rethink pulling it out and rhino lining as a future mod. I hate the heat and run my AC all summer already.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's bullshit!! I live in Texas. I run my AC in winter sometimes. I don't run it because of no carpet but because it is hotter than hell in Dallas.

:cheesy: I realize that you're from Texas and are proud of it but it doesn't mean that the heat is actually hotter there. I mean, I know it gets hot there but, if you do any traveling, you would find that it's hot in a lot of places.

I don't know about you guys down south and in SoCal, but here in MO, I have a hard time keeping the inside of my jeep cool in the summer with the A/C on high and the carpet in. The carpet has to be there for insulation, even if it's not much different. I'll be leaving mine in unless I plan on fording a river. Every little bit helps

Well, SoCal is a big desert. Same is true of Arizona and Nevada. I spend a lot of time wheeling in all these states and like you, trying to keep cool is important to me. I've forded rivers and have had to pull my carpet out but, have always put it back in after I got it cleaned and allowed it to dry out completely. But hey, that's just me.

Huh didn't know that. Makes me rethink pulling it out and rhino lining as a future mod. I hate the heat and run my AC all summer already.

It's a neat idea and something I had done on my old CJ and, some guys are cool with the added heat but, to suggest that there isn't a noticeable change without the carpeting is just silly to me.

Top Bottom