First Timer Lift Install Question with Coils + Convince me to do the work myself

I'm at the point were I want to upgrade from the TF level kit to a 2.5" coil lift, either OME, TF or RE. My end goal with my 08 is to continue with the 33's, and add the aftermarket bumpers...hence the want for the 2.5 coil lift. (DD 120KM per day 5 days a week, 10% light trails, nothing extreme)

Willing to build as I go as like with most budget comes in to play, so I'm ok with doing just the coils and shock extensions, then upgrade the shocks, the finally bumpers.

I've read over and over the FAQ's and Install sticky here many times, watched the many youtube videos (TF does a great job)....however, there is one key part of doing the install myself, and I have yet to see a video that shows the lowering of the axle after the shocks and sway bar links are removed. My concern is with the coils, and the possibility of them letting loose and someone getting hurt.

Do these coils just 'fall out'? Or is there still some 'load' on them?

I'm a mechanically inclined kind of guy, do all my own fluid changes, breaks ect...but never wrenched on suspension parts before. I'm 95% confident I can take this on myself, and willing to invest more $$ in tools, IE a impact gun.
I've actually gone to the extent of doing a mock install...making sure I can get the Jeep high enough, and seeing how to reach each nut and bolt for access/clearance as you lie on your back, or kneel on the garage floor.

Being an 08 and exposed to the wonderful world of road salt...I would expect a good bath of PB Blaster and WD-40 will help.

Any advice from the experience from the Wayalife community on the spring danger and vote of confidence to do this in my garage would be great. Local 4WD shop wants $500.00 for the labour to do this.

Thanks!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
There is no load on the springs when the axles are lowered correctly. Some people actually find some difficulty in getting the axle low enough to get the spring out, and to put a new one in. Some people use spring compressors. I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST USING THEM. They can be dangerous, even deadly, if something goes wrong.

Take a look at my "Building of Meanst" thread and you will see how I use a bottle jack on top of the axle to get enough flex to pull the spring out and put a new one in. With the axle in the right place, there is literally no load on the spring whatsoever. It just unseats and falls out to the side.

Now, regarding your potential plans. I highly suggest you ride in someone's Jeep with TF springs before you buy them. Ride is subjective, but I will tell you that for my tastes the TF springs are WAY too stiff. That stiffness, in my opinion, results in a bit of a harsh ride and also causes some issues with flex/stuff. Additionally, the TF springs tend to result in a lot more lift than advertised. 2.5" TF springs are likely to make 33's look like roller skates (even more so if you have a 2-door). If you like that look then more power to you.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to add to what Sharkey was saying, it's important to disconnect your shocks, your sway bar links, your brake lines from their frame mounts, up front, the track bar from the axle and the ABS lines from their retainers on the knuckles and, if you have an auto or a 2012 or newer JK, disconnect the front drive shaft at the pinion. If you do all this, you should have no problems lowering your axle to the point where your factory coils literally fall out. You should even have plenty of room to get 4" lift coils in without too much fuss. I have done this a ton of times. If you do not disconnect all these things, it can be a bit tough to get your new coils in.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^^ Yep, that's the best way for sure and would make my jack trick unnecessary. Even using the bottle jack, you still have to disconnect everything but the driveshaft and track bar. But, since you should loosen the track bar anyway so you can re-torque under the Jeep's weight when you are done, Eddie's advice really is the best way to go.

There is no load on the springs when the axles are lowered correctly. Some people actually find some difficulty in getting the axle low enough to get the spring out, and to put a new one in. Some people use spring compressors. I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINST USING THEM. They can be dangerous, even deadly, if something goes wrong.

Take a look at my "Building of Meanst" thread and you will see how I use a bottle jack on top of the axle to get enough flex to pull the spring out and put a new one in. With the axle in the right place, there is literally no load on the spring whatsoever. It just unseats and falls out to the side.

Now, regarding your potential plans. I highly suggest you ride in someone's Jeep with TF springs before you buy them. Ride is subjective, but I will tell you that for my tastes the TF springs are WAY too stiff. That stiffness, in my opinion, results in a bit of a harsh ride and also causes some issues with flex/stuff. Additionally, the TF springs tend to result in a lot more lift than advertised. 2.5" TF springs are likely to make 33's look like roller skates (even more so if you have a 2-door). If you like that look then more power to you.

Wow, thanks for the quick response!!

I will dive into your thread as above.

Thanks also on the coil spring notes...agreed, DO NOT what the roller skate look, nor am I looking or wanting more then 2.5" of lift, very happy with 2" to be honest. Only reason to upgrade from the leveling kit (spacer) is for new coils to keep the height and allow for bumpers down the road. Keeping the jeep proportional is important. (My Jeep is an unlimited)

Trick is to then find a 2 or 2.5' coil that doesn't provide too much lift, and a decent ride for a DD.

Just to add to what Sharkey was saying, it's important to disconnect your shocks, your sway bar links, your brake lines from their frame mounts, up front, the track bar from the axle and the ABS lines from their retainers on the knuckles and, if you have an auto or a 2012 or newer JK, disconnect the front drive shaft at the pinion. If you do all this, you should have no problems lowering your axle to the point where your factory coils literally fall out. You should even have plenty of room to get 4" lift coils in without too much fuss. I have done this a ton of times. If you do not disconnect all these things, it can be a bit tough to get your new coils in.

Thank you, this is the confidence I was looking for, coming for the experts who have done this type of work MANY times before.

I went with a 2.5 inch lift right after I got my JKU. I went with the Pro-Comp 2.5 inch coil and shock lift and regretted it. I then installed the EVO plush ride 3 inch coils. The ride is superb as Canvas is my DD. I have LoD front and rear bumpers and sliders and a Waren Zeon winch upfront. My total height I measured on the front fenders is right at 37 inches. The extra 1/2 inch did not affect as much as I thought it would.

I would highly recommend taking a ride in Jeeps with other springs installed so you can gage just what you like. If you were in Florida you would be more than welcome to see how Canvas drives. research so you are not repeating what happened to me and spending money twice.

R/
Will

^I will continue my homework here on the various coil options. Not too many rides and events this time of the year to find out or even go for a ride in other Jeeps with coils I'm looking for. Good idea, and thanks for the offer...ya Florida is a bit of a drive for me...maybe worth it sounds like we are headed back into the deep freeze for a few more days. :grayno:

Hooligan

I just installed 3" plush rides on Friday. Wasnt too difficult. The ride is very nice. Previous pro-crap springs and shocks were terrible. Follow advice above and take it slow.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just installed 3" plush rides on Friday. Wasnt too difficult. The ride is very nice. Previous pro-crap springs and shocks were terrible. Follow advice above and take it slow.

LOL!! Glad to hear it. I keep telling people what a difference they will feel in their ride just by changing out their coils from what they have to a set of Plush Rides. :cool:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Glad to hear it. I keep telling people what a difference they will feel in their ride just by changing out their coils from what they have to a set of Plush Rides. :cool:

I'm still confused on what height plush rides I would need if switching from 3.5" Rough Country coils. 3" or 4", running 35s?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still confused on what height plush rides I would need if switching from 3.5" Rough Country coils. 3" or 4", running 35s?

Honestly, I didn't even know the Plush Rides came in sizes, just one for 35" tires and the other for 37's :idontknow:

JayKay

Caught the Bug

What shocks did you go with? I assume you got rid of the Procomp shocks along with the coils

CerOf

Skip the air tools. I have 'em and rarely use them. By the time I fire it all up I will have most necessary bolts loose.

Basic lift install truly is easy!

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

FireWire79

Rancho Kit

Rancho makes a pretty nice looking 2" kit that has been recommended to me by members of this forum. It is available with either Rancho 5000XLs or 9000XLs, new springs for the front, plus spacers to level the rig out, as well as bracketry to relocate the brake lines. This kit comes in around $400 USD with the Rancho 9000s, which are a solid shock. Just providing my :twocents: and will be able to provide a little further information when I get back to the states.

Petzl88

You can do it

Absolutely you can install the lift yourself! I had never worked on a car before installing my budget boost. I didn't think I had it in me until reading Eddie's awesome write-ups on Project JK. Just throw away the instructions that come with your kit because they will probably be crap! Eddie's write-ups are certainly the best installation instructions out there.

I kept thinking that I would take my Jeep to a shop in town and have them install the lift for me, but I really wanted to get over my fear of working on my Jeep and I wanted to be able to repair failures (to a limited extent) while out on the trail. I am so glad that I went through with it. Just make sure you have all the tools before beginning the installation. I read through Eddie's Teraflex Budget Boost installation write-up dozens and dozens of times before beginning my install. When I got down to installing the lift, it was like I had done it before! I thought, "ok, here's the sway bar links, do this, do that". It was pretty easy because I had prepared myself with great instructions.

^Very true I've spent lots of time reading in Project JK, and value the instructions, they are very well put together.

I've done the re-read them over and over LOL!

More and more I think about it and read these replies...self install is for me.

Just need to save up a bit more and I can get myself the lift I want.

Oh and allow time for the polar vortex to leave and warm up... Garage is not heated!

Thanks to all

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I've changed my coils, shocks, added leveling kit all with hand tools in a parking lot. Thanks to Eddie's write ups. Easy Peasy!

I will down the road change out to those plush ride coils.

Top Bottom