First oil change

BigBoy

So today I did my fist change after 959 miles on my 2014. Everything went way easy and it was a bit weird for me to be working on such a new rig. I've always had used. Anyway, the oil looked as expected. It was pretty clean with some minor metal shavings in it, the reason I did the change. What struck me as odd was that I had only drained out 5 quarts front the motor, not the 6 I added back. Is this normal for a new motor? I know there are reports of the 3.8 being an oil burner but didn't get that about the new 3.6.

Wondering if I should be worried about being a quart low or chalk it up to being a new motor.

Atch

Perhaps it was never filled properly from the factory. Now that you know there is 6 qrts in it check the next time you change your oil.

BigBoy

Atch I was thinking the same thing.

As for changing so early, I guess I consider it cheap insurance, peace of mind, maybe just the old school way of doing things. I don't like the idea of break in shavings floating around in the motor. Some will say the filter will catch them and I know the new engines need less and less of this kind of thing but like I said it's more of a piece of mind thing.

BigBoy

Lol ok I got a little worried cuz I have 2k on my 2014 and thought maybe I missed something important

You didn't miss anything as far as I know. I did inquire with the dealer and the told me that there was no break in period, no special additive and no reason to change any sooner than the Jeep tells you to according to Jeep.

That being said, the service manager at the dealer did tell be that he personally did the change at 1000 miles for peace of mind as well, and that you wouldn't hurt anything by changing early.

Brewbek

Did my first change at 1500. No oil loss full 6 qt. out. I did take a minute to cut the filter ends off and unroll the filter. There were a bunch of metal shavings embedded in the filter. Changed again at 3k and cut the filter again, it was clean, put in synthetic and went to 5k miles change. Oil changes are cheap if it makes you sleep well at night. My :twocents: Oh and I have a 13 Sport.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I did my first change when the light came on at 8,000 miles. :idontknow:

What did you do without the jeep for 4 days? :idontknow:

:cheesy:

Think I changed mine around 1000. A bit crazy to see the metal shavings in the filter. Still running dino in my 2012.

BigBoy

Think I changed mine around 1000. A bit crazy to see the metal shavings in the filter. Still running dino in my 2012.

I've read enough on the forums and talking with the dealer, I expected to see shavings so it wasn't as concerning as it could have been. I also have read a lot about the synthetic vs regular debate and elected to stick with the Jeep recommendation and just use Pennzoil. I may eventually make the synthetic switch, but my concern now is why I would have been a quart low?? I hope it was just not filled from the factory but I guess I'll monitor it from here.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Dealer did the first one. Only took 2 hours. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom