PDA

View Full Version : Daystar A-pilllar pod on 2013?

davantalus
01-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Looking for alternatives to above the rear view mirror...

Would this a-pillar pod fit on a 2013 JK? Description says 2007-10. :\

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97015_0000.htm

just-lift-it
01-20-2014, 11:55 AM
no you need the a pillar 2011-2014 uh pretty sure rugged ridge sells one look on northridge got mine there for 2012

cozdude
01-20-2014, 12:45 PM
As mentioned above you need the 11-14 switch mount. Ruggid ridge has one and that's what I have

Sent from my iPhone

onebuilder
01-20-2014, 01:04 PM
As mentioned above you need the 11-14 switch mount. Ruggid ridge has one and that's what I have

Sent from my iPhone

How is the fittment, color and texture match? Thanks!

ScottC
01-20-2014, 01:05 PM
I just went back and forth with Northridge about this very same topic last week. Cozdude is correct; get the Rugged Ridge A-pillar switch. It comes with or without switches, too. If you want the one pictured, it is part number RGR17235.58. Don't forget to enter "Wayalife" I'm the coupon code for 10% off of the price and free shipping.

cozdude
01-20-2014, 01:17 PM
How is the fittment, color and texture match? Thanks!

in my pic above you can see that it matches perfectly. aslo the fit is spot on.

just-lift-it
01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Anyone running this pillar with a sport cage? been wondering what that would be like if possible at all would be a waste to install the switches then toss it out if a cage was needed

Sharkey
01-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Anyone running this pillar with a sport cage? been wondering what that would be like if possible at all would be a waste to install the switches then toss it out if a cage was needed

Won't work with a sport cage.

Here is the panel in a 2008. Looks factory.

davantalus
01-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Sweet, rugged ridge it is!

Hack12
01-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Won't work with a sport cage.

Here is the panel in a 2008. Looks factory.

I have the same RR pillar mount with the RR switches. They are okay, but I've always wanted labeled switches exactly like yours. What brand are those? Do they stay lit continuously with your dash lights, or are you just showing them engaged?

onebuilder
01-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Can you guys tell me what wire (location and color) to splice into for the dash lights? Hoping to find the wire that also dims with the rest of the dash. Thanks!

JKFlyer
01-20-2014, 10:46 PM
I have the same RR pillar mount with the RR switches. They are okay, but I've always wanted labeled switches exactly like yours. What brand are those? Do they stay lit continuously with your dash lights, or are you just showing them engaged?

depends on what kind of back switch you have. i just bought 12 covers. driver side a pillar, passenger side, and shifter area. they will do text and images any way you want. during day for mine, just see it liek white writing. at night, it ligths up the amber color of bulb. covers are about 5 each. i didnt want to spend another 12 x 10 for new switches themselves but sharkey are neat. i tried painting the bulb but it didnt change the color
go to

www.otrattw.com

Hack12
01-20-2014, 10:48 PM
depends on what kind of back switch you have. i just bought 12 covers. driver side a pillar, passenger side, and shifter area. they will do text and images any way you want. during day for mine, just see it liek white writing. at night, it ligths up the amber color of bulb. covers are about 5 each. i didnt want to spend another 12 x 10 for new switches themselves but sharkey are neat. i tried painting the bulb but it didnt change the color
go to

www.otrattw.com

Sweet! Thanks a bunch bro. That was my next question, if I could just buy the $5 covers for my existing RR switches?

Sharkey
01-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Yep, the switches in my pic are from OTRATTW. I installed them in a buddy's Jeep (look for the "Building of Meanst" thread if you want to check out the build). The lettering stays on with the interior dash lighting and dims with the dash lighting. The pictures come on when the switch is activated.

JKFlyer
01-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Sweet! Thanks a bunch bro. That was my next question, if I could just buy the $5 covers for my existing RR switches?

i have daystar rockers and when you order custome ones (called Contura v), they do need to be sanded down with a dremel on teh sides otherwise it's tight (like a virgin)

Hack12
01-20-2014, 10:57 PM
I've never really worked with switches before. How difficult would it be to just purchase the tops for $5 each and switch them with my RR switch top? Is that even possible, and if so, will I need to take the pillar mount apart to accomplish it?

JKFlyer
01-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey
01-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Pulling the tops is quite easy and should not require you to take the panel off. Hard to explain in words, but the covers just basically snap on at the point that the switch rocks back and forth (I hope that makes sense). Go to OTRATTW and look at some of the pics of the rocker bodies. You should be able to see what I am talking about.

You shouldn't have to use very much force to get the cover off.

Hack12
01-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Pulling the tops is quite easy and should not require you to take the panel off. Hard to explain in words, but the covers just basically snap on at the point that the switch rocks back and forth (I hope that makes sense). Go to OTRATTW and look at some of the pics of the rocker bodies. You should be able to see what I am talking about.

Yep, I totally understand what you mean. Thanks for the help. Being that easy, I'm grabbing a few of these right now. Thanks!

Sharkey
01-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Can you guys tell me what wire (location and color) to splice into for the dash lights? Hoping to find the wire that also dims with the rest of the dash. Thanks!

Sorry, I haven't tapped the dimmer on a 2010+ interior. Pre-2010, I tapped a dimmer wire going to the hot/cold dial for the heater/air. It's been a while, but I believe it was either a brown wire with an orange stripe or an orange wire with a brown stripe.

Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer for the 2010+ interior.

Atch
01-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Yep, I totally understand what you mean. Thanks for the help. Being that easy, I'm grabbing a few of these right now. Thanks!

You should receive a free removal tool with your order. You just slide it under the switch and pry it up.

Hack12
01-20-2014, 11:08 PM
You should receive a free removal tool with your order. You just slide it under the switch and pry it up.

Wonderful. You guys rock.

Sharkey
01-20-2014, 11:10 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :doh: Doesn't it look like a little plastic fork with only two tines?

Atch
01-20-2014, 11:11 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :doh: Doesn't it look like a little plastic fork with only two tines?

You are correct

JKFlyer
01-20-2014, 11:24 PM

tjhey also give you a tool when you buy from them to snap off covers. there is a little piece that holds covers on and if you snap it off, switch is useless b/c cover wont stay on. believe me i did it. EDIT - see others mentioned this already

like sharkey said, its cooler where text stays lit and pic goes on with activitation, but with expense and fact that most my wires are sodored on to switches, i just left it to go on only when activated

Hack12
01-20-2014, 11:27 PM
I've picked out the ones I want on the website you guys linked and just realized that in all the pictures of the switches they show a vertical setup, including the writing. I would need them horizontal for the A-pillar RR mount, am I missing something?

Sharkey
01-20-2014, 11:32 PM
like sharkey said, its cooler where text stays lit and pic goes on with activitation, but with expense and fact that most my wires are sodored on to switches, i just left it to go on only when activated

In my '09 I never bothered to wire up the dimmer feature. It wasn't until I did Meanst's lights that I hooked up the dimmer. Either way works just fine. One you find the dimmer wire it is really easy because you just run one wire and piggy back to each switch.

JKFlyer
01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm with you but I don't have right switches. Most have just one bulb at the picture area (when on). They are stock Daystar switches. Pretty basic

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey
01-21-2014, 12:18 AM
I've picked out the ones I want on the website you guys linked and just realized that in all the pictures of the switches they show a vertical setup, including the writing. I would need them horizontal for the A-pillar RR mount, am I missing something?

I don't think they show the horizontal on the website. Give them a call during business hours. In my experience they are very helpful and will make certain you are getting exactly what you want.

MTG
01-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Sorry, I haven't tapped the dimmer on a 2010+ interior. Pre-2010, I tapped a dimmer wire going to the hot/cold dial for the heater/air. It's been a while, but I believe it was either a brown wire with an orange stripe or an orange wire with a brown stripe.

Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer for the 2010+ interior.

Only one way to find out for sure. I'll leave the light on.

:cheesy:

Sharkey
01-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Only one way to find out for sure. I'll leave the light on.

:cheesy:

Lol. Yep, we need to get your stuff cleaned up.