BOLT-ON 4" lifts?

beans

Hello all! :D NooB question :D :D

My brother just recently adopted our old 97 TJ. We were going over his layout plan and he mentioned 4" lift kits that can be bolted to the TJ with no welding required and no extension of the drive shaft. I have never heard of anything like that. Are those things safe? Is there something about the TJ that makes something like that possible? Most JK's I've seen have required some kind of welding for that kind of lift. If anyone knows anything about this I could use any advise, recommendations or testimonies!! :) :) Thanks again guys!

2trackin

I wouldn't go over 3" on a bolt on (short arm) lift on a tj. Anything taller is going to start to negate the handling characteristics of the vehicle. You will also probably have riverine issues any taller.
What size tires are going to be ran? I have seen 37s on 4" lift tj with highline fenders.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your brother is going to stick with short arms, I too would not recommend anything over 3.5" of lift. If he's okay with that, I have run a Rubicon Express 3.5" kit and was happy with it. But really, anything over that will get you wanting to run a long arm kit. If he's okay with doing a lot of cutting and drilling but no welding, I would recommend getting a Full Traction long arm kit. This is ultimately what I went with back when I still had a TJ and was very happy with it. Again, no welding required.

Eddie, do you if Rebel ever went with the updated bump stops they claimed they were going to?

We Are Jeep..Resistance Is Futile..

beans

If your brother is going to stick with short arms, I too would not recommend anything over 3.5" of lift. If he's okay with that, I have run a Rubicon Express 3.5" kit and was happy with it. But really, anything over that will get you wanting to run a long arm kit. If he's okay with doing a lot of cutting and drilling but no welding, I would recommend getting a Full Traction long arm kit. This is ultimately what I went with back when I still had a TJ and was very happy with it. Again, no welding required.

Thanks guys!! This is exactly what we needed!! :D I'll let him know today!! :yup:

What size tires are going to be ran? I have seen 37s on 4" lift tj with highline fenders.

He wants to run 33's. I mentioned 35s -37"s (b/c of the higher lift). But I'm not sure if it's a power issue et al for his reasoning behind that.

Last edited:

2trackin

Thanks guys!! This is exactly what we needed!! :D I'll let him know today!! :yup:

He wants to run 33's. I mentioned 35s -37"s (b/c of the higher lift). But I'm not sure if it's a power issue et al for his reasoning behind that.

I'll second what Eddie said. I too have run a Rubicon express kit. It worked for the time being. I ended up going with a full traction long arm lift at only 4" and a 3" rear stretch with 37s and was extremely satisfied with it. The whole idea for stability purposes is to run Minimal lift for the clearance to run the tire size you want. For 33s, a 3" lift will do just fine.
But, we are giving advice here without knowing what the intended use of the Jeep will be. a daily driver, trail rig, etc. Knowing these things will help us give more sound advice.

beans

But, we are giving advice here without knowing what the intended use of the Jeep will be. a daily driver, trail rig, etc. Knowing these things will help us give more sound advice.

Excellent point sorry about that :D :D

He wants to run it on trails with us and soon with other Wayalifers. His daily driver is a CRV :D He's an extremely skilled car mechanic but this will be his first Jeep :)
He told me yesturday he plans to sign up for Wayalife soon and get to know everyone!

SquareLJ

If he only wants to run 33" tires, I'd recommend staying with a 3" suspension lift and then getting a 1.25" body lift. (With the body lift on top of the suspension lift, he should be able to clear 35's) It will ride better and still be a very capable Jeep. I also believe that at 3 inches, you will have to do a motor mount lift and possibly a transfer case drop if you want to keep the stock driveshaft on a TJ.

beans

If he only wants to run 33" tires, I'd recommend staying with a 3" suspension lift and then getting a 1.25" body lift. (With the body lift on top of the suspension lift, he should be able to clear 35's) It will ride better and still be a very capable Jeep. I also believe that at 3 inches, you will have to do a motor mount lift and possibly a transfer case drop if you want to keep the stock driveshaft on a TJ.

I was wondering about the driveshaft. He could try the 3" and wait to see if the drive-line vibrates before doing the motor mount. I sent him copies of what you guys suggested and that will give him a good place to start. It will be fun to see what he does with that old girl :)

Top Bottom