Dana 44 tires moving in drive question

JEEPnGEO

I don't know about the other Dana's but my question is about the factory Dana 44 that comes on a Rubicon.

I jacked up the back end only started it up and ran it through 1, 2, 3 gears to see if I can hear a certain sound. I get both tires spinning. The passenger side going pretty good. The driver side is going pretty good but not as strong as the passenger one. Both are spinning. I got it back to first gear and I was able to grab the drivers side and stop it while the right one is still going. I notice a pulsing like push...push...push.. feel through the left side. It is not a constant push feeling.

Lockers are off, I am in 2 High, only the back is jacked up off the ground.

I am trying to find that ratcheting sound and now my drivers side rear has developed a swoosh, silent, swoosh silent sound as I drive.

My question is are both supposed to spin when lockers are off and 4wd is not engaged?

Thanks

nope which ever tire has least amount of resistance will spin when lockers are off because its an "open diff" in that situation then

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You being able to stop your tire is how a differential works. Regarding your ratcheting sound, I see that you have a 2-door with a 4" TF lift. Is it safe to assume that you are still running a factory rear shaft? Have you checked your CV boots to see if they've been spitting out grease? If I could guess, you have a rear driveshaft joint that is fried - very common on a 2-door with a lift.

Kavanji

jes both are supposed to spin equal. if you stop one tyre the other tyre must go on and vice versa. if one does not spin it is usually a bearing or the brake that is not releasing proper.

JEEPnGEO

I checked the boot and it is in perfect condition. Since I did the lift I haven't gone wheeling driven it hard. I am saving up for the shafts. Expensive things... If the CV is going bad any way of checking without taking anything off. Last night while trying to figure out my exhaust issue I moved jiggled the shafts and I didn't notice a thing wrong. Looked at the Ujoints even the front shaft ujoints and nothing seems to have play or wiggle.

I think it is a bearing going bad. I am trying to find some used adjustable control arms so I can adjust the pinion angle back to neutral a little. I plan on getting shafts before going wheeling.

jeeeep

Hooked
I checked the boot and it is in perfect condition. Since I did the lift I haven't gone wheeling driven it hard. I am saving up for the shafts. Expensive things... If the CV is going bad any way of checking without taking anything off. Last night while trying to figure out my exhaust issue I moved jiggled the shafts and I didn't notice a thing wrong. Looked at the Ujoints even the front shaft ujoints and nothing seems to have play or wiggle.

I think it is a bearing going bad. I am trying to find some used adjustable control arms so I can adjust the pinion angle back to neutral a little. I plan on getting shafts before going wheeling.

you'll need to take the DS off to check it if the boot looks fine - just jiggling it won't tell you anything , the amount of time you've spent so far trying other things, you could've taken the shaft off and put it back on - it's really not that difficult or time consuming.

I put off replacing mine but when we had the ice storm it completely failed...had it off and replaced in less than an hour..follow the writeup, having all 4 wheels off the ground made it easy to rotate the shaft to remove the bolts.

Shifted into 4Lo as needed when tightening everything back up.

I'd take the front DS off and test drive

Pinion Nut 160 ft. lbs., Output shaft nut 130 ft. lbs

Last edited:
Top Bottom