Electrical Panel, Storage and Switch Project

Chili

With this project, I was attempting to solve a number of problems. I thought some other JK owners might get some ideas from this, so I’m posting it here. Here’s what I was faced with:

A) I needed space to put “stuff”.
B) I needed to do something about the rat’s nest of wires (from added accessories) leading to my battery. Anyone with a JK probably knows that you can’t just tap into any existing circuits thanks to the can-bus electrical system.
C) I needed a place to mount a bunch of switches.
D) I still had one set of halogen off-road lights, and wanted to go all LED.
E) I needed a decent place for a CB.

This was my previous solution. It was a homemade overhead console that was also home to a switch pack and made a great place for a cb:

There were three problems with this setup:

A) It was fugly.
B) I needed to put switches where I could actually see them. With this setup, I had to turn and crane my neck to see the switches. I needed the switches to be towards the front where I could see them easily.
C) This setup did not have any storage.

So the first step was to order the Smittybilt GEAR Overhead Console. It provides storage, as well as a sturdy platform to mount a custom switch box. This thing is made of 3/16 thick steel. It comes with a bunch of MOLLE gear that allows me to clear out much of the crap that was in my center console. I added my own MOLLE holster.

Next I ordered switches and a switch mount from http://www.otrattw.com. These guys know switches. I had two already, and ordered 4 more of the Contura V Laser Etched variety. I love these switches, and now that I have seen them in person I will order more to replace the 2 Contura switches I already had. Next I had to build a box, which I did from some flat stock and 16 gauge sheet. It’s as ugly as the first overhead console I made, but it turned out to be an effective solution:

Chili

Up next was wire management. I just added an inexpensive marine auxiliary fuse panel, wired to the battery with 4 gauge cable with an inline 100 amp circuit breaker. I had to make a custom mounting bracket though, as I found no other acceptable place to put it.

Next is trial fitting the box to the console and getting the wiring roughed in.

Here is the finished installation. The wiring hides nicely.

Next I added two more LED lights to the bumper after taking off the two 100 watt halogens, and she’s all done. As for the CB, I ended up doing what most Jeep people do and bought a Cobra 75 WS XT.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Nice. Out of curiosity, how tall are you? I ask for two reasons: (1) can you still use your rearview mirror; and, (2) do you hit your head against the molle bags/center stack?

Chili

Nice. Out of curiosity, how tall are you? I ask for two reasons: (1) can you still use your rearview mirror; and, (2) do you hit your head against the molle bags/center stack?

Good question! I am 5'10 and I do not contact the overhead console at all, unless I purposely try to. I can also see out of my rearview mirror, but depending on the angle, I may catch a glimpse of the MOLLE gear at the top of the mirror, but nothing I would consider an obstruction.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Good question! I am 5'10 and I do not contact the overhead console at all, unless I purposely try to. I can also see out of my rearview mirror, but depending on the angle, I may catch a glimpse of the MOLLE gear at the top of the mirror, but nothing I would consider an obstruction.

Good to know, thanks. I'm about 6'1" but most of that is torso so I sit high. I occasionally bounced my head off of my ORFab sport cage center bars and the "mirror flip" was one of my first mods. I like the idea of having some MOLLE up there though.

JKFlyer

Very impressive job. Definitely go all laser etched!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
Good to know, thanks. I'm about 6'1" but most of that is torso so I sit high. I occasionally bounced my head off of my ORFab sport cage center bars and the "mirror flip" was one of my first mods. I like the idea of having some MOLLE up there though.

I have always wondered about that. I am 6'10 and have had concerns about the central support of a cage.

Currently thinking about trying to chop the mounts on my seat to make it lower.

Moochie

I have always wondered about that. I am 6'10 and have had concerns about the central support of a cage.

Why don't you remove the front seat all together. Then you can sit in the back and drive. Lol!

Sharkey

Word Ninja

6'10? Wow! With that kind of altitude I would recommend padding the center bars and running a five point harness. You would be much less likely to rock around the seat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You need to run Mastercraft Baja RS seats. They literally are 2" lower than factory and can make it hard for short people to see out the window especially with a sport cage installed.

JAGS

Hooked
You need to run Mastercraft Baja RS seats. They literally are 2" lower than factory and can make it hard for short people to see out the window especially with a sport cage installed.

Man, I have the opposite problem. I need the booster seat Mastercrafts. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom