3.6 noise

Sugarbear

Hey guys I'm trying to see if anyone else knows what I'm talkin about here or if I'm just paranoid so bare with me

I have a 2014 3.6 with 2k on the clock with 6 speed manual and at idle I hear a very faint kinda of a grinding noise sounds almost like it's coming from the throw out bearing and when I push the clutch in it stops which is why I haven't said anything to the dealer yet cuz I worked in one long enough to know that they won't help unless it's really noticeable but sometimes it's very prominate after it's idled for a While but doesn't do it all the time so I'm just curious to see if anyone had something similar if they know what I'm talking about

Holeshot

Banned
the throwout bearing is a weakness on the 6 speed, had mine replaced, and a friend of mine also, both on 2012's. Let it go until the noise is really noticable before to bring it to the dealer.

Sugarbear

I'm only worried bout it now because I'll be putting a lift and tires on very soon and worried the dealer will give me a rough time warrantying if it is the bearing

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I had the transmission replaced at 9,000 miles because of the noise I know you're talking about. They chose to replace it after my second visit with the same noise. First time I brought it in they claimed it as normal 'truck transmission noise', after I called BS telling them that I've own 2 autos out of the 15+ vehicles I've owned, that noise is not normal! The second tech to look at it agreed with me, especially when the engine was revved it would get louder, sound like a diesel revving up.

They replaced it after tearing the old one down and finding irregular wear on certain gears.

Believe it or not, the new one also has the noise, just not as loud and noticeable. I've pretty just learned to deal with it, and plan on getting it looked into when it gets worse, especially since the noise I think is internal, 100,000 powertrain warranty should cover it.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Oh yeah, I already had my lift and 35s installed when they replaced it. If your dealer is like mine, they don't blame anything on the mods unless it's been in numerous times for the same problem. Which is why I might be screwed if the noise gets worse after more miles.

13gecko

I had the same problem with my 2013 at 700 miles. Took it to the dealership and they said it's normal. After I explained (nice and calm) how a throw out bearing works to the service manager...He said ok and took it back in the shop. After about an hour he came back and said he couldn't hear anything. I left and waiting until I hit 1800 miles and brought it back in. Same thing, they couldn't hear it. Although it was pretty obvious. So I left again intending to try a different dealership. I never got around to taking it in again and now at 10k miles the squirrel banking a crow bar umder the jeep is gone. Hasn't bothered me anymore. Just think of it this way. If you take it in and document that you think something was wrong and then at 20k miles the bearing is shot, it will still be under warranty. Might not be the right answer I suppose but that's what my plan is.

Sugarbear

I had the same problem with my 2013 at 700 miles. Took it to the dealership and they said it's normal. After I explained (nice and calm) how a throw out bearing works to the service manager...He said ok and took it back in the shop. After about an hour he came back and said he couldn't hear anything. I left and waiting until I hit 1800 miles and brought it back in. Same thing, they couldn't hear it. Although it was pretty obvious. So I left again intending to try a different dealership. I never got around to taking it in again and now at 10k miles the squirrel banking a crow bar umder the jeep is gone. Hasn't bothered me anymore. Just think of it this way. If you take it in and document that you think something was wrong and then at 20k miles the bearing is shot, it will still be under warranty. Might not be the right answer I suppose but that's what my plan is.

So your saying the noise stopped on its own or they finally fixed it at 10k miles ??

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Yea I'm hoping because they sell dealer lifted ones they won't give me a hard time

The shop I work at lifts and installs wheels and tires on brand new jeeps for my dealer. If they wanna blame it on my lift, they can kiss my a$$. If someone buys a lifted jeep from them and they fix everything for them that gets damaged due to mods that the dealer installed, I would be pissed. I would have bought one from them that was already lifted, but I wasn't paying $3,000 for a lift that I could install myself for half the price.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'm bringing mine in Saturday to have a blown speaker replaced, I'm gonna mention it to them again. Last time I had it in they didn't hear the noise and suggested I ride with a tech to verify it. I'll keep everyone up to date if I get anywhere with them this weekend.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I've also noticed a 2nd gear whine, don't know if anyone else has. My brother-in-law's '12 Rubi whines in 2nd also, but he doesn't have the rattle noise we've been talking about.

Sugarbear

I'm bringing mine in Saturday to have a blown speaker replaced, I'm gonna mention it to them again. Last time I had it in they didn't hear the noise and suggested I ride with a tech to verify it. I'll keep everyone up to date if I get anywhere with them this weekend.

Yes please keep me updated

Sugarbear

Did they charge you to look for the noise when they looked at it cuz if I take mine in and they tell me nothing's wrong and charge me I'll blow a gasket lol

Top Bottom