Anyone else have heat problems under hood?

Dune Crawler

I have the Bulldog triple tuner and it shows me the trans temp and it's reaching up to 170'F and gives me warning noise at 150'F...can a hood louver fix this or is there something else I need to do?

Little info on jeep: I got a oil change about 2k miles go and it was synthetic and I have a dual cooling fan upfront to push more air through.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that your transmission is under your tub and not under your hood, I don't think louvers will help you much here. what year JK do you have? Early model JK's didn't even come with a cooler and if that's the case with you, adding one will help.

Angry Aussie

I have the same tuner and I haven't seen my trans temp get above 122* . I don't think the hood louver would help trans temps but I'm not sure so don't quote me. Hopefully your tuner is giving you a false temp. Hopefully someone will know what's going on before you need to take it in any where .

TheDuff

What year jk? Profile doesn't specify

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't remember for sure but, if I recall, I don't think 2008's came with a transmission cooler. Do you have one? If not, install one and that will help a lot.

TheDuff

08s dont have a trans cooler. how much is one?

It you don't have one, u can build your own kit for about $100 or buy a kit for more, orw has one for a little under 300 for example. The dealer sells a kit(same thing that comes on 12+) for something outrageous like $600...

Rottenbelly

Tranny cooler would be first. Hood vents seem to help mine cool faster.
I use the torque app on mine and it gets up to 200 often while
offroading. Going down interstate ay 70 it hovers around 120.
I have a 6 inch fan on my cooler that I can turn on when needed. But I dont usally turn it on till 170ish.

Dune Crawler

Tranny cooler would be first. Hood vents seem to help mine cool faster.
I use the torque app on mine and it gets up to 200 often while
offroading. Going down interstate ay 70 it hovers around 120.
I have a 6 inch fan on my cooler that I can turn on when needed. But I dont usally turn it on till 170ish.

I have the same kind of setup but I normally always turn on my fan

DirtyJeeP

I have an 08. It does have a trans cooler. I installed the PSC trans cooler and power steering cooler kit. It's good especially if you plan on installing a ram assist in the future. The coolers mount side by side. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

pastorwug

I bought the Off Road Warehouse one and am very happy with the quality and fit.
Keeps the tranny cool since I trailer a bunch.

TheDuff

I bought the Off Road Warehouse one and am very happy with the quality and fit.
Keeps the tranny cool since I trailer a bunch.

I got the same one, it was available locally and I was having some overheating tranny issues. Its not cheap, but it is pretty easy to install, just need some basic hand tools, a uni bit to enlarge some holes a common drill bit (can't remember size), pipe cutter or hack saw if your brave, 1 quart of auto trans fluid to top off after your done. It is a quality kit, they have a bracket to make it work with a supercharger intercooler in case anyone cares. My only complaint is they use rubber hose instead of steelbraided lines, but I've seen people buy their own steelbraided lines and use them since both ends of the provided stuff uses -an fittings. The provided lines are loomed, which is a plus to not worry as much about something rubbing through the rubber. I've not had any overheating since I've installed this last year in late Feb. I normally see only 120f or less on the highway and 120-160 around town, in stop and go traffic, and up grades. I think I saw 180 once when I was aired down to 10psi and had to drive up a steep winding road for several mines to the trail head. Didn't scare me much, since before the cooler I was constantly seeing 180-200f on the highway and my owners manual states 180f to be normal operating temp:what: I would be happy never see higher than 180f again:D

Last edited:

Dune Crawler

I have an 08. It does have a trans cooler. I installed the PSC trans cooler and power steering cooler kit. It's good especially if you plan on installing a ram assist in the future. The coolers mount side by side. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Is this what you installed?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390381846.374568.jpg

Dune Crawler

I got the same one, it was available locally and I was having some overheating tranny issues. Its not cheap, but it is pretty easy to install, just need some basic hand tools, a uni bit to enlarge some holes a common drill bit (can't remember size), pipe cutter or hack saw if your brave, 1 quart of auto trans fluid to top off after your done. It is a quality kit, they have a bracket to make it work with a supercharger intercooler in case anyone cares. My only complaint is they use rubber hose instead of steelbraided lines, but I've seen people buy their own steelbraided lines and use them since both ends of the provided stuff uses -an fittings. The provided lines are loomed, which is a plus to not worry as much about something rubbing through the rubber. I've not had any overheating since I've installed this last year in late Feb. I normally see only 120f or less on the highway and 120-160 around town, in stop and go traffic, and up grades. I think I saw 180 once when I was aired down to 10psi and had to drive up a steep winding road for several mines to the trail head. Didn't scare me much, since before the cooler I was constantly seeing 180-200f on the highway and my owners manual states 180f to be normal operating temp:what: I would be happy never see higher than 180f again:D

Yea I looked it up and it's def not cheap compared to the others on the market. For me something simple and somewhat cheap is my market. It's something I have to do than rather wanting to do b/c my bullydog won't stop chirping warning me about trans temp until it goes under 150 and engine goes limp.

JKFlyer

have an auto 2010
tuner showing temps getting to 180-220. got nervous

but aftgermarket trans cooler like guys said above and brought it down to 140-180 range (high number always while kicking it hard on local roads...lowr on highway)

once i regeared, it dropper again to 110-130

regearing would have done trick if i did it frist. running 35's

hope this helps

Top Bottom