Front end issues?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Ok, I added JKU coils 17/59, then added a BB 2.5" spacers. I did add the rear track bar relocation, brake line, shock brackets etc.:yup:
My issue is when driving around town everything feels fine, but when I am on the freeway doing 60+ and hit a bump or dip in road way it feels like my front end is wobbling side to side. I have to hit the brake to make it stop. I checked everything and all bolts are tight, I jacked up the front to see and feel if I had any slack or movement in the tire pushing and pulling on tire (Ball joints). I did not replace the front track bar, can this cause the problem. Also the ride is really rough flighty and feels like the diff is moving around, maybe that just because its a spacer lift. I have the rough country series II. Any thought's out there what I can check? Thank you for your help!:standing wave:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You won't be able to "feel" if your ball joints are fine. You need to measure the movement.

How much lift do you have? If it feels flighty you probably need adjustable lowers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You won't be able to "feel" if your ball joints are fine. You need to measure the movement.

How much lift do you have? If it feels flighty you probably need adjustable lowers.

What he said. It doesn't take much for a ball joint to be worn enough to give you grief. More times than not, you will need to use a dial indicator to determine if it's still in spec.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
How old is your jeep, trackbar bolts maybe oval'd

2012 jk 2 door

I will recheck this out.

2.5"

Check your Front Trackbar Bolts. Have to be at 125ftlbs

I never removed the front track bar or loosen it during install. My diff dropped enough with out removing, but I will check the torc.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
2012 jk 2 door

2.5"

I never removed the front track bar or loosen it during install. My diff dropped enough out removing, but I will check the torc.

What about the springs? I would measure your lift as the stiffer springs will give you lift on your two door.

Extreme Justice

I'm by far an expert, but from what I've read and did with my 2" kit this was advise able as the bushings would be binding. Maybe someone with more expertise could comment.

Extreme Justice

You should definitely loosen your control arms, shake your vehicle and then tighten everything up while on the ground.

BTW it's a real pain in the butt as there's not a lot of leverage while your lying under the jeep under the ground.

Do a google search for, "loosening control arms on JK during lift install". Lots of info on why

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Did you do an alignment afterwards? Improper Caster specs could cause this as well.

I don't have adjustable control arms. I am going to loosen the control arm bolts while off ground the lower to ground and re tighten them see if that helps also going to look at ordering a new adjustable front tracbar.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

your probably up to high for stock arms...

Buddy of mine just did rough country 2.5" suspension lift he was complaining of the same thing he would fight the jeep upon acceleration and at high speeds on the highway. This kit only gives you coils and shocks and brake line brackets.

I had a set of control arms laying around from one of my old lifts from my JK they were 1/4" longer bolt to bolt then his factory we installed them and did a quick alignment on it in the shop took it for a drive and he said it is 110% better just from swapping front lower control arms....

I have also installed 4 Rough Country 3.5" stage 2 kits last year on 2011 and up JKU jeeps for people. Every single one of them had leaking shocks in 6 months and every one of them has the piece of crap drop pitman arm coming loose on the steering box! There is ways to fix the pitman arm but best bet throw that junk out and do a drag link flip. Better off with a cheap Zone kit made by BDS or a cheap entry Skyjacker kit over then rough country

anways ya if you up 3" look into lower fronts! it helps with your senstations...

Top Bottom