EVO Plush rides, bowed out toward rear

wwood

Just installed 3" EVO plush ride coils in the rear of my 2013 JKUR. I am ready to put the wheels back on and start the front springs. I am replacing the Teraflex 3" coils that I previously installed because they are too stiff. The EVO coils bow out toward the rear of the Jeep pretty significantly at ride height, the Teraflex coils were much straighter. Is bowing out normal? Should I do anything about it? The EVO springs are not hitting anything and don't look like they will even at full stuff. The EVO springs are maybe 1/2" longer than the TF springs. The rear spring perches on the axle are tipped toward the rear but no more than they were with the TF springs. My rear diff pinion is pointed straight at the rear driveline, also exactly the same as with the TF springs. Hard to get a pic that shows the bend but this is the best I can do:

Attachments

• DSC09701.jpg
    DSC09701.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC09700.jpg
    DSC09700.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 161

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A single direction bow is totally normal with soft springs especially if you have your pinion set in line with your drive shaft (what you would do if you are running an aftermarket drive shaft). If they are bowing like an "S", your axle is most likely set too far back. Either way, you wouldn't see this as much with stiff coils and no, it's not really a problem unless the coils are hitting your track bar. If it bothers you, you can install something like JKS adjustable lower spring perches to address it but, I wouldn't bother if you're not having any rubbing or contact issues.

wwood

Thanks Eddie, that makes me feel better. The bow is single direction (curved out toward rear of Jeep) no S shape. Bow gets more pronounced as I jack the axle up toward full stuff but the springs are not hitting the track bar or anything else. Will leave them alone. The TF lift kit has all 8 adjustable control arms so it was easy to set the rear pinion in line with the drive shaft, still factory. I did take your advise and install a Coast 1310 drive shaft up front to eliminate the interference with the exhaust and deal with the nasty angle at the transfer case. I assume the EVO front springs will not bow much if at all since the front spring perches on the axle are pretty level. Plus the EVO springs are smaller in diameter than the TF springs so there shouldn't be any interference issues.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So long as your front axle is positioned correctly under your Jeep and you don't have too much positive caster set, no, you will not see any bowing up front.

ChaosNein

A bit of bow in the rear coils is normal with the Plush Rides. As Eddie mentioned, as long as they are bowed in a single direction, there is no issue.

Top Bottom