To RIPP or not to RIPP

Hightower

I Need advice all! My Pro rock axles are on route and I should be installing them next week giving me the perfect opportunity to uninstall my supercharger. Should I uninstall my RIPP supercharger or keep trying to figure out the problem with it. I am running 40 tires and will have 538 gears in the new axles. The RIPP system has given me more power but the problem is it goes into limp mode ( lighting bolts of death) quite often my wife does not like driving it now because of the problem and I find it a disadvantage when on the trail.
Please help

Thanks

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
honestly, if it were me, i would pull it and sell it while you still can. sure the 3.8 is nothing to write home about but, it does get the job done and without all the problems you've been having. but hey, that's just me.

Hightower

wayoflife said:
honestly, if it were me, i would pull it and sell it while you still can. sure the 3.8 is nothing to write home about but, it does get the job done and without all the problems you've been having. but hey, that's just me.

I thought you might say that and I am leaning that way.
Thx

GCM 2

I thought you might say that and I am leaning that way.
Thx

You could pull it and run it with the same stock, anemic, asthmatic, pig of a 3.8L that the rest of us are running :rock:
If you absolutely can't live with it, reinstall and see if you can get RIPP to finally get something that works for you.

Hightower

GCM 2 said:
You could pull it and run it with the same stock, anemic, asthmatic, pig of a 3.8L that the rest of us are running :rock:
If you absolutely can't live with it, reinstall and see if you can get RIPP to finally get something that works for you.
with my frozen Canadian melon it was just RIPP in or RIPP out not RIPP maybe! Lol :)
Thanks brother!

wayoflife said:
just tying to be honest and help a friend with what he needs to hear.
Thanks. I think RIPP has a good product but it is for someone with a different intention for there rig than I have for mine. Live and learn I guess
Thanks Eddie.

I'm going to have as someone told me once a very expensive paper weight! haha

mituk

I am running almost similar setup you will have except 40" tires, I run 37".

And here is my take on RIPP - it takes time to tune it and I agree with you that it is for people with patience. Took me over a year to have setup which is running ok. I had a lot of 'lights' on dash after putting RIPP first time, it was generation 1. Things changed after upgrading to generation 2, much simpler setup, all done via tune in computer and no lights at all since that time. Although with gen 2 you need to do more mods to engine (change injectors).

The only issue I have now is that going long uphills on the highway my engine is overheating. And I need to get slow (... it made me hard to keep up with convoy sometimes ... yes, I am talking about keeping with Eddie :) ... LOL ). But on flat I have nice kick, easy going 80mph etc.

I must say that idea of pulling RIPP out was in mind several times. But now after all that time I spend on it and as things working ok it is mute point for me. I wonder what would it feel to run 37"/40" with 5.38 gear on stock engine (automatic).

If you would pull out RIPP I would re-think re-gearing to 5.38. Maybe 5.13 maximum.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

And here is my take on RIPP - it takes time to tune it and I agree with you that it is for people with patience. Took me over a year to have setup which is running ok. I had a lot of 'lights' on dash after putting RIPP first time, it was generation 1. Things changed after upgrading to generation 2, much simpler setup, all done via tune in computer and no lights at all since that time. Although with gen 2 you need to do more mods to engine (change injectors).

The only issue I have now is that going long uphills on the highway my engine is overheating. And I need to get slow (... it made me hard to keep up with convoy sometimes ... yes, I am talking about keeping with Eddie :) ... LOL ). But on flat I have nice kick, easy going 80mph etc.

LOL!! :blush: yes yes, i tend to drive a bit fast but, as you have pointed out, i can do that with our crappy 3.8 and without any overheating issues. if anything, i would have thought that with a ripp, you would be able to fly past me on the hills. don't get me wrong, i love the idea of the ripp but, it seems like it still has a few bugs that need to worked out.

I must say that idea of pulling RIPP out was in mind several times. But now after all that time I spend on it and as things working ok it is mute point for me. I wonder what would it feel to run 37"/40" with 5.38 gear on stock engine (automatic).

it's what mel runs on his evo 1 and ran koh with. granted, we have a manual but otherwise, we are running that setup now and, while it isn't great, it does get the job done.

If you would pull out RIPP I would re-think re-gearing to 5.38. Maybe 5.13 maximum.

he's getting prorock 60's and with that, 5.38's will be fine. that's what we're running now. :yup:

Serg5000

I have read many threads about running a supercharger or not. It seems these things are to much trouble on the trail. I mean really, how fast do you really go when out wheeling. 5mph? I also don't like the idea of a sudden burst of power. Seems it would only lead to breaking stuff. It's hard enough to not break axles and u-joints just the power of a gutless 3.8L. However, I do understand the need for more power. As for me, well I realized I wasn't buying a Ferrari when I bought this awesome yet gutless jeep.

Hightower

I have read many threads about running a supercharger or not. It seems these things are to much trouble on the trail. I mean really, how fast do you really go when out wheeling. 5mph? I also don't like the idea of a sudden burst of power. Seems it would only lead to breaking stuff. It's hard enough to not break axles and u-joints just the power of a gutless 3.8L. However, I do understand the need for more power. As for me, well I realized I wasn't buying a Ferrari when I bought this awesome yet gutless jeep.

If Jeep had the foresight sell the JK with the Hemi I would have been first inline.:thumb:
:rock:
LOL!! :blush: yes yes, i tend to drive a bit fast but, as you have pointed out, i can do that with our crappy 3.8 and without any overheating issues. if anything, i would have thought that with a ripp, you would be able to fly past me on the hills. don't get me wrong, i love the idea of the ripp but, it seems like it still has a few bugs that need to worked out.

it's what mel runs on his evo 1 and ran koh with. granted, we have a manual but otherwise, we are running that setup now and, while it isn't great, it does get the job done.

he's getting prorock 60's and with that, 5.38's will be fine. that's what we're running now. :yup:

All three of Eddies answers push me farther down the no RIPP path.:brows:

I hear what you are saying Merrick but I am worried that I am putting my tranny and motor under to much strain for to little gain (I am going to become a rapper if my loto ticket isnt a winner:cheesy::cheesy:) plus all the for mentioned reasons.
Chris

MTG

Caught the Bug
clarsen said:
If Jeep had the foresight sell the JK with the Hemi I would have been first inline.:thumb:
:rock:

All three of Eddies answers push me farther down the no RIPP path.:brows:

I hear what you are saying Merrick but I am worried that I am putting my tranny and motor under to much strain for to little gain (I am going to become a rapper if my loto ticket isnt a winner:cheesy::cheesy:) plus all the for mentioned reasons.
Chris

I don't know about all this mechanical stuff, but I've heard that you should never put your tranny under too much strain. :) :cheesy:

I vote to get rid of it. But then again I want something on my rig nicer than yours. ;)

Hightower

I say RIPP it out, sell it and go with the DTD or bolt on coil over kit! :brows:

Not to RIPP. Tony its coming out and I am saving my $$$ for the DTDwhich I hope to do in October when the Larsen's are down for the Off Road Show..:brows::brows:

Hightower

I don't know about all this mechanical stuff, but I've heard that you should never put your tranny under too much strain. :) :cheesy:

I vote to get rid of it. But then again I want something on my rig nicer than yours. ;)

LOL:standing wave:

Top Bottom