Noob

jku_robert

Just wondering what's the difference between in performance between long arm, mid arm, and short lift kits. Thanks

StrizzyChris

a mid arm lift is a bull crap term and the same thing as a short arm lift. they use all factory control brackets and will be plenty for most people and most lifts. A long arm kit relocates the frame side control am bracket closer to the middle of the Jeep.

The "performance" aspect is inhanced and noticable while driving on the road and at higher speeds. In a lifted Jeep, particularly one over 3.5", the performance will be retuned to a more stock feel. While offroading, short arms on a raised Jeep will cause more axle "swipe" than a long arm, but as long as you are not lifted too high it is usually not too big of a deal.

What height of a lift are you planning on? What components do you already have on your jeep?

jku_robert

I'm completely stock right now I was about to put on a Rubicon express 2.5 coil lift but I rather wait to go with a 3" or 4" lift. I've been looking at skyjacker, teraflex, rock krawler, Rancho, and the evo enforcer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What Chris said above, the "mid" is just sales pitch, a name created by Rock Krawler to give people the idea that they would be getting something half way in between a factory length arm and a long arm. Truth of the matter is, all they give you are short arms that have a shortest setting that's about an inch longer than stock. And, I should note that if anything, this can cause problems with spring bowing and rubbing of other components.

Now, regarding the term "short" arm, I should point out that this was a name give back in the old TJ days (1997-2006) as the factory arms that came on it were really short. The problem with them was that when you lift a Jeep, your suspension geometry can be off enough to negatively effect your ride quality. Fortunately, JK's come with MUCH LONGER factory arms and they will still ride well up to about 4" of lift. At that height or taller, installing a long arm kit will help correct your suspension geometry and improve your ride quality.

As mentioned by Chris, "long" arms are just that, MUCH LONGER arms that actually require you to hack off your factory frame mounts and have new ones installed more toward the center of your Jeep. By doing this, you effectively lower the angle your control arms will sit back to about stock and that will improve your ON PAVEMENT and fast driving ride quality. It WILL NOT do anything for you in terms of flex other than keep your axle from swiping.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm completely stock right now I was about to put on a Rubicon express 2.5 coil lift but I rather wait to go with a 3" or 4" lift. I've been looking at skyjacker, teraflex, rock krawler, Rancho, and the evo enforcer.

I personally would NOT recommend Skyjacker as you will find that the coils will sag quickly and find that the components aren't exactly made the best. Depending on how tall you go, I have seen numerous JK's with their kits tear off track bar mounts. Likewise, I would not recommend TeraFlex unless you prefer a firm ride. The coils they offer are among the stiffest I've run and I have found their control arm bushings to blow very easily. There are a lot of people that will swear by Rock Krawler and for me, I personally have never cared for their springs and I'm not a fan of 3-link systems. Having broking multiple control arm mounts in the past, there's something to be said about redundancy. What I like about Rancho is that their products are all made in the USA and offer very complete kits that are also very affordable. Of course, it's no secret that I run and love EVO kits. After installing and testing a myriad of kits over the last 7+ years, they are what I prefer.

jku_robert

I've search what everyone has said about the lifts here and mostly everyone that runs the evo enforcer is happy with it. I guess since I'm new to this I though the more components the lift kit has the better.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've search what everyone has said about the lifts here and mostly everyone that runs the evo enforcer is happy with it. I guess since I'm new to this I though the more components the lift kit has the better.

It definitely doesn't hurt to have more components and I've certainly been an advocate of it in the past but, over the last 7+ years of working on the JK, we've found that you really can get away with less. If you want more components, you can certainly add them to complete the Enforcer kit. The only things really missing are some control arms and Currie makes some that pair up nicely. If you want to spend a bit more money, they are what I would recommend.

seanb123

Yeah get the enforcer you'll be more than happy. FYI if you get 3' you might be able to get away with not having driveshaft issues but their is a good chance you driveshaft will hits the exhaust crossover and possible burn the boot. It is recommended that you do get a new double cardan shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah get the enforcer you'll be more than happy. FYI if you get 3' you might be able to get away with not having driveshaft issues but their is a good chance you driveshaft will hits the exhaust crossover and possible burn the boot. It is recommended that you do get a new double cardan shaft.

3' of lift?? :shock: :crazyeyes: :D

Seriously, there's no getting around damaging the front slip shaft boot with the Enforcer kit or any 2.5" lift or taller WITH shocks that provide a greater amount of droop. Even if you could, the steep angle that the front output shaft will have your factory rzeppa joint sitting in will cause it to fail prematurely. A u-joint style double cardan shaft is what I would recommend.

jku_robert

Yeah don't know much but I do know when u get close to 3" lift front driveshaft is HIGHLY recommended. That's why I haven't just jumped into getting a lift cause I know its more then just the lift if u want to to it properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

You can also add the evo long arm upgrade kit to the enforcer later, pretty much making it the double D. That leaves you pretty setup for bolt on or double throw down coilovers later on if you if you see them in your upgrade path:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jku_robert

You can also add the evo long arm upgrade kit to the enforcer later, pretty much making it the double D. That leaves you pretty setup for bolt on or double throw down coilovers later on if you if you see them in your upgrade path:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom