Pentastar auto trans cooler

zaid7

So I have been reading up that the auto trans requires a oil cooler as it tends to over heat and go into limp mode if driving hars or for long periods in 4hi or on beach is this true

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

since you have an 08 you do not have a stock transmission cooler. If you pull a trailer, change alititudes much, or wheel for extended periods then you would be well served to protect the trany with a cooler! :yup:

steve_r2

2012 and up autos should have a trans cooler as standard.
I believe that 2007-10 models don't. Not sure about 2011 models...mine certainly required it (2009 JKU).
Sure that someone will correct me if I have the years wrong but the Pentastars should have them.

Last edited:

Moochie

since you have an 08 you do not have a stock transmission cooler. If you pull a trailer, change alititudes much, or wheel for extended periods then you would be well served to protect the trany with a cooler! :yup:

I have an 08 and it does have a stock trans cooler. It is in the lower section of the AC condenser. Since I have changed engines and tranny, I now have a separate trans cooler and use an AC condenser designed for a manual transmission (no trans cooler included).

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
2012 and up autos should have a trans cooler as standard.
I believe that 2007-10 models don't. Not sure about 2011 models...mine certainly required it (2009 JKU).
Sure that someone will correct me if I have the years wrong but the Pentastars should have them.

2011 did not have them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, there just wasn't a separate and BIGGER cooler installed until 2012. To help with cooling, a separate and bigger one should be installed. Or, you can try to make sure to use lower gears when climbing.

zaid7

So what trans ccooler would be great to use as a bigger one we do a lot of beach camping and drive almost an hour is super soft sand this is my first auto ever so this is new to me

aftahour

Get the b&m off amazon $30. Forgot model #. There should be a thread about it. You also need extra 2-3ft hose and clamps.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So what trans ccooler would be great to use as a bigger one we do a lot of beach camping and drive almost an hour is super soft sand this is my first auto ever so this is new to me

I ran a B&M. Seemed to work just fine on my '09.

Top Bottom