4 door JK Drake Fuel door will fit a 2 door JK

Vichus

I broke my Mopar fuel door the other day when I slipped on the ice while filling up. While shopping for a replacement, I found that I really liked the Drake fuel door (http://www.quadratec.com/products/15006_0005.htm) Unfortunately, it's described as fitting JK Unlimited only. After looking at some detailed pictures, I decided that it was worth a shot at making it fit so I ordered it.
Fuel door in box.jpg

fuel door on table.jpg

Fuel door open on table.jpg

It's much heavier than the black mopar fuel door that came stock with my JK and is much better looking in my opinion. The "Fuel" label is actually a little plastic medallion that is optional. If you want to use it, just peel off the back and press it into place. The external part of the fuel door is attached to the collar assembly with some plastic tabs. I considered taking it apart, but the plastic is pretty rigid and I was worried I might break them off. On the back of the plastic collar, there is a small plastic nub at 9 o'clock. On the JK 2 door, the alignment hole is at the 12 o'clock position, so I had to cut that off.

Cup removed.jpg
Here you can see the alignment hole at the 12 o'clock position

Once I removed the plastic guide pin, the Drake fuel door fit right in. Once you push it in, you'll need to take out the tail light in order to remove it without breaking the tabs. I put a bit of soapy water on the neck gasket to fit it around the fuel port. I did notice that there wasn't quite as much clearance on the fuel port around the neck gasket as there was with the mopar fuel door. The neck gasket is completely seated around the pipe, but there is less pipe sticking up over the gasket. I don't think it will be a problem but it might be an issue with a locking fuel cap.

Once I carefully leveled out the fuel door, I marked the screw holes and drilled them out with a 9/64" bit.

Marking holes.jpg

I painted the fresh holes with a bit of rustoleum primer. After I let them dry, I put the screws part way in. I took once last look to line up the door and tightened the screws down.

Fuel door installed.jpg
Here it is installed

I put the "Fuel" medallion on earlier, but it might have been better to put it on after I installed the door.

Anyway, it was a quick install that only took about 15 minutes of actual work. The only modification I found necessary to make this work on my 2 door was cutting off the guide pin and taking extra care with lining up the door!

Vichus

No, the door does not lock. It has a couple of little magnets that hold the door shut, but there is no locking mechanism. You could use it in conjunction with a locking cap though.

Top Bottom