PDA

View Full Version : Tallest Building in the World

GCM 2
07-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Because of my job I get a chance to travel to some really out of the way and very austere places. Every now and again I work in a not so bad place such as Dubai, U.A.E. Although the summer is definitely not the best time to enjoy it, it's still the craziest ultra modern, man made and architecturally interesting destination I am in and out every year. Its virtually the polar opposite of our jeep lifestyle! I finally got a chance to get up to the observation deck of the Burj Khalifa (ref: latest Mission Impossible movie), just a couple of photos from the 124th floor of a 160 floor building. Sorry, but these are iPhone shots, I travel light!

kaptkrappy
07-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Awesome pictures !

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

mcpuck
07-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I wish our streets were empty like that! Thanks for sharing.

Hightower
07-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Incredible. :thumb:

GCM 2
07-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I wish our streets were empty like that! Thanks for sharing.

I think it has something to do with 100+ temps and humidity to match. It's freaking brutally oppressive right now. The malls are full though :icon_crazy:

GCM 2
07-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Incredible. :thumb:

Aside from Tom Cruise being a scientology follower, with apparent relationship issues, he's got big cajones to sit on the very peak of the same building!

wayoflife
07-07-2012, 02:25 PM
wow, just wow!! it's crazy how everything else below looks like a scale model. as for mr cruise, um, yeah, that guy is just crazy :crazyeyes:

GCM 2
07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
wow, just wow!! it's crazy how everything else below looks like a scale model. as for mr cruise, um, yeah, that guy is just crazy :crazyeyes:

Exactly! All the surrounding buildings are major skyscrapers in any other city :icon_crazy:

Prime8
07-07-2012, 03:08 PM

2 votes for him being just plain old crazy.

JKRay
07-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Awesome building for sure and very cool architectural design they have going too! Thanks for sharing G! :thumb:

Hightower
07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Mr. Cruise is one el loco cat and Greg just provided more solid evidence to that fact.. :twocents: :shock:

JKRay
07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Mr. Cruise is one el loco cat and Greg just provided more solid evidence to that fact.. :twocents: :shock:

haha any guy who thinks he is God needs to go to see a thereapist or jump of the tallest building in the world... he had his chance I have no clue why he didnt take it. :thinking: :cheesy:

GCM 2
07-07-2012, 04:06 PM

So two of us are on this observation deck, both of us have the same backgrounds, training and skill sets. Only one could not walk to the edge and look over, the other was wanting his sport chute rig to base jump. Aside from cult like religion memberships, guess I'm in the same category of Mr Cruise ;)

piginajeep
07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
well your both fucking crazy then!

thanks for sharing the pics!:beer:

Hightower
07-07-2012, 04:53 PM
So two of us are on this observation deck, both of us have the same backgrounds, training and skill sets. Only one could not walk to the edge and look over, the other was wanting his sport chute rig to base jump. Aside from cult like religion memberships, guess I'm in the same category of Mr Cruise ;)

I agree with you Greg other than Mr. Cruise citizenship in L. Ron Hubbard Funkytown he has life by the balls.lol:brows::brows:

hydroslyder
07-07-2012, 04:59 PM
So if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do that allows you to travel so much? (Interested minds want to know) :)

GCM 2
07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
So if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do that allows you to travel so much? (Interested minds want to know) :)

I provide asymmetric solution development for Uncle Sam

highoctane
07-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Cool! When I was with the MEU our carrier pulled into port in Dubai for a week. One of the funniest weeks I've ever had. Snow boarding at the Mall of the Emirates when it was 115 outside, road camels, went down the HUGE water slide on the pyramid at the water park, and ate at THI Thursdays. That building was still under construction then. Man I would live to go back there.

MTG
07-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Aside from Tom Cruise being a scientology follower, with apparent relationship issues, he's got big cajones to sit on the very peak of the same building!

Yeah, but could he do it with shoes on? :)

GCM 2
07-08-2012, 04:29 AM
One of the funniest weeks I've ever had. Snow boarding at the Mall of the Emirates w.

The finest indoor mall skiing available. This year had a great base layer of snow early in the season ;)

Sharkey
07-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Amazing looking place. I had a friend try to get me to move there to practice law. Apparently there is a high demand (and very high pay) for American educated attorneys with significant experience in construction law. Despite the money involved, I couldn't justify moving my wife and kids across the world (and away from the rest of their family). Some of these pictures make me wonder if I acted too hastily.

LoPo
07-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Wow. That's crazy. Those pics really put things in perspective.

jelliott076
07-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Exactly! All the surrounding buildings are major skyscrapers in any other city :icon_crazy:

I was told from the top floor you could actually see the curve of the earth. Either way, what a view! Thanks for the photos.

GCM 2
07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Today's adventure..... Ferrari World. A few photos from any car lovers dream.

ProfessionalDriver
07-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Wow!!! That is incredible! Is that a Ferrari Roller Coaster?

wayoflife
07-09-2012, 04:44 PM
amazing the things they have over there. thanks for posting up all the cool pics :thumb:

GCM 2
07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Wow!!! That is incredible! Is that a Ferrari Roller Coaster?

YES! It was nauseatingly fun too. I have a video, but my connection is too slow to post :naw: You will hit 150+mph (pulls 1.5g's off the start) before you hit the huge incline and the drop from the top puts you in a huge diving 4g left hand sweeper. Because the ride was so intense and the miserable ambient temps with crushing humidity, people were vomiting getting off of it and a German woman passed out trying to get off after it was over......so we waited for a spot in the two front seats. I was not getting sprayed mid-ride with Arab food aftermath in the rear :icon_crazy:

GCM 2
07-09-2012, 05:05 PM
amazing the things they have over there. thanks for posting up all the cool pics :thumb:

Eddie you probably know this, unlike other parts of the world (like ours) where there is so much varied terrain and lots to do from region to region, this part of the middle east (UAE) has figured out that oil is a finite resource and when it's gone they will return to being sand dwelling Bedouins unless they diversify. So they just started building tourist super attractions to make the place more inviting to other cultures, especially Europeans. Out of all the countries in the middle east this is the one that you can come to and be in a really safe, permissive environment. In a really weird way it's kind of cool because it's soooo artificial, but really, how many über malls can you see and still get excited at the next one you enter :thinking:

hydroslyder
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
:big_boss: So...you wouldn't happen to need/want an assistant would you :D Mechanical engineer ready to travel! :driving: haha :daydream:

kaptkrappy
07-10-2012, 02:37 AM

I think I could stare at this all day.

More great pics. Thanks again. :clap2:

GCM 2
07-10-2012, 03:12 AM
I think I could stare at this all day.

More great pics. Thanks again. :clap2:

Kapt, you have great taste! Ferrari 275 GTB, one of my favorites.

Seahawkfan
03-18-2019, 08:32 AM
I was told from the top floor you could actually see the curve of the earth. Either way, what a view! Thanks for the photos.

Way old thread resurrection. One thing worth noting is you can watch the sunset on the ground then go up and watch it set again. Hence why sunset is the most expensive time of day to visit. It's about $100 to go up. Dubai is not cheap.323191323192

Brute
03-18-2019, 08:43 AM
It's not cheap...and the air quality is still as bad as when I was there...

Seahawkfan
03-18-2019, 09:54 AM
It's not cheap...and the air quality is still as bad as when I was there...

Yes always seems to have the Dubai haze.. Here's a nicer day.323193323194